Milby Junction: Retail At 3615 Harrisburg Blvd.

Redevelopment planned for the old Rex Supply building on Harrisburg at Milby. This is near the Second Ward/Coffee Plant stop on METRO Green Line light rail. Looks to be mixed-use retail with plans for a three story garage.

Definitely would be a welcome addition near the Sampson/York corridor.

http://swamplot.com/what-rex-supplys-harrisburg-complex-would-look-like-with-restaurants-throngs-of-pedestrians-taking-over-its-thru-street/2018-09-20/

https://www.hpiproperties.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/milby-junction-1.pdf

Special thanks to Swamplot for finding this (or at least making me aware of it lol)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:54 PM, ArtieFufkin said:

Heard that this fell through and is no longer happening. Pour one out :(

I drove by this site yesterday and noticed that the Rex Supply signage is down, so I’m assuming it is officially closed and the building is now unoccupied. 

However, the Hunington signs advertising the new “development”—and not a lease of the existing building—were still up on both buildings as well as a sign at the corner of Milby and Harrisburg.

I know the link above is inoperative, but are we 100% sure that this is dead?

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Stumbled upon this by mistake when trying to look up my own HCAD account, but it looks like someone snuck in and purchased the Rex Supply Building earlier this year: Westgreen Blue Willow, Ltd. HCAD mailing address maps back to the corporate office of Lovett Commercial (1520 Oliver St. HTX)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Stumbled upon this by mistake when trying to look up my own HCAD account, but it looks like someone snuck in and purchased the Rex Supply Building earlier this year: Westgreen Blue Willow, Ltd. HCAD mailing address maps back to the corporate office of Lovett Commercial (1520 Oliver St. HTX)

Good find!

Lovett Commercial does well when it comes to rehabbing older buildings of this size. I'm glad to see them expand their footprint in the East End.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Good find!

Lovett Commercial does well when it comes to rehabbing older buildings of this size. I'm glad to see them expand their footprint in the East End.

Good point. I know we like to give Lovett a hard time about dragging their feet on larger projects like the old Houston Post building and Post HTX, but a smaller scale project like this should be easier to turn around in a more timely manner.

Or, they’ll just sit on it for an extended amount of time with no activity. Honestly could go either way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

From the city...

Many plats may include tracts platted as unrestricted or restricted reserves. An unrestricted reserve can be any commercial or non-single-family residential application (i.e. retail center, apartment, office building). A restricted reserve is for non single-family residential purposes but designates the use for the property. An owner can sell off pieces of a reserve but cannot sell off pieces of a single family plat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Replatted to be "Milby House". Owned and submitted by Lovett. Looks like they purchased the SF Home on the corner of Hutcheson and Preston.  Bets on whether they sell this for affordable housing like they did the lot across the street?image.png.36ebad6ed9504664047129485da30080.png

Edited by ljchou

• The title was changed to Milby Junction: Harrisburg At Milby
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ljchou said:

Land for sale. Cross your fingers. Variance request going forward on July 22 to remove the through street and create one large unrestricted reserve

Good that Lovett is unloading it, hopefully a developer that isn't intent to just sit on land for years might do something with it that much sooner. Lovett obviously has the means to advance some quality large scale projects, but seems to stretch itself too thin. 

And I am not sure how I feel about abandoning the through street. I prefer maintaining the existing street grid whenever possible; abandoning a street is nearly impossible to reverse in the future. With this being near the Red Line, I guess the practical impact would be minimal. 

(Plus, as a Toffee I'd hate to see any stretch of Everton St. abandoned. COYB!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Good that Lovett is unloading it, hopefully a developer that isn't intent to just sit on land for years might do something with it that much sooner. Lovett obviously has the means to advance some quality large scale projects, but seems to stretch itself too thin. 

And I am not sure how I feel about abandoning the through street. I prefer maintaining the existing street grid whenever possible; abandoning a street is nearly impossible to reverse in the future. With this being near the Red Line, I guess the practical impact would be minimal. 

(Plus, as a Toffee I'd hate to see any stretch of Everton St. abandoned. COYB!)

What's a Toffee? This is new terminology for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ljchou said:

What's a Toffee? This is new terminology for me!

“The Toffees” is probably the most common nickname for Everton F.C. Many of the supporters’ groups use the term as well. 

COYB is an acronym for “Come on ya blues!” which is a sort of rallying chant for the club.

For the record, following the EPL is more fun when you’re invested in a team. I went with Everton more than a decade ago because (1) the English side of my family traces back to Liverpool; (2) they have historically fielded the most American players in the EPL (Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, etc.); and (3) I’m a glutton for punishment because despite showing some occasional potential, they never really finish higher than mid-table.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Milby Junction: Harrisburg Blvd. At Milby St.
  • 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to Milby Junction: Retail At 3615 Harrisburg Blvd.
  • 1 month later...