Music Awards Shows In Houston One Day?

DJ V Lawrence

There are no rumors that made me bring up this topic, for the record. Not sure if city officials have ever even talked about this yet. Mainly wanted your opinion on this somewhat-taboo subject in entertainment. Here's some food for thought:

--- So I'm watching the Country Music Awards on t.v., and seeing that it's taking place in New York City, and I'm like ???. At one time, I thought it was permanently at the Grand Ole Opry. Houston's the biggest city in the south, has the biggest livestock show and largest indoor rodeo in the world, and last time I checked, had a couple country music fans somewhere in the city limits (sarcasm located somewhere in that last sentence). At first I thought Houston was known as a bigger Country Music town then New York City, but I guess some things have changed in America since I left for Korea.

Why couldn't Houston host the CMAs? I think Houston would put more emphasis and effort into the already large show and industry because, lets face it, we DO love Country Music more than NYC, and we DO have the venues for it (Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, Wortham Center, Reliant Park (3 or 4 possible venues in itself), George R. Brown, should I keep going?) And I don't think the ratings would change too much if it was hosted in Houston, NYC, OR Tennesee. What doesn't Houston have to host the CMAs? Fans?

---The MTV VMAs always used to host their award show at Radio City in NYC, but in the past 5 years they've started moving around to the Lincoln Center (NYC), Los Angeles, and twice now at American Airlines Arena in Miami. The first thing that comes to my mind is why not the thought of Houston, Los Vegas, Chicago, or Atlanta ever hosting it? Once again, all three cities have the right venues, all three have a ____load of artist on MTV affiliated with these cities, and all three would probably make longterm MTV fans in these large city markets just for hosting it. But of all four, I don't think any city would work harder to be a great host than the city of Houston, since we haven't had ANYthing like it before.

--The BET Music Awards. The VIBE Awards, just about ANY hip-hop Award show in Houston. Is there ANYthing in hip-hop that's not Houston-related anymore? Destiny's Child, ALL of Swisha House, Brooke Valentine. Houston AND Atlanta I think should host more hip-hop tv award shows in the upcoming years.

The biggest national t.v. events I can remember Houston hosting had nothing to do with awards. We got the Super Bowl in a package deal with getting the Texans. The All Star Games we are getting to host would have come to Houston anyway because of our new facilities. The Essence Music Festival will be here next year only because New Orleans is still getting back in it's feet. So like, the only events I can think of that we were actually awarded were, like, the Gospel Music Awards and Wrestlemania in 2001.

Doesn't Houston deserve more signature television events? Or at least more pursuits of large events? We pursued the Olympics and Super Bowl twice legimately. We didn't get them, but I strongly respect the efforts our city and many people put into trying to get them. But I don't think it ends there. There's MANY more big scale events out there that Houston can host. We at least deserve the effort to get them (particularly the network television award shows).

agree or disagree?

DJ, just responding to the CMA event, and not the rationale of others, country music has tanked in popularity in the last few years. It is common in the past for these events to be held in the city that is home to the group or the music genre, hence the CMA has historically been held in Tennessee.

However, CMA is trying to break out of its sales slump and jump start its popularity. Going to NYC will give them a shot of publicity. Will it work? Who knows. But, it is certainly more newsworthy than the same ole thing in Opryland.

Plus, in trying to garner new fans, go to where there are fewer fans. Houston may be the biggest country music city, so it is not where you would go to expand your market.

Personally, I think country music is in a catch-22. If they play pure country, it will never be more than a niche market. If they morphe toward country-pop, it is not really country. I also wonder if, since country artists hitched their wagon to the war effort, when the support for the war dropped, country music popularity dropped...but, that would be a topic for someone who actually follows country music, which aint me.

DJ, just responding to the CMA event, and not the rationale of others, country music has tanked in popularity in the last few years. It is common in the past for these events to be held in the city that is home to the group or the music genre, hence the CMA has historically been held in Tennessee.

However, CMA is trying to break out of its sales slump and jump start its popularity. Going to NYC will give them a shot of publicity. Will it work? Who knows. But, it is certainly more newsworthy than the same ole thing in Opryland.

Plus, in trying to garner new fans, go to where there are fewer fans. Houston may be the biggest country music city, so it is not where you would go to expand your market.

Personally, I think country music is in a catch-22. If they play pure country, it will never be more than a niche market. If they morphe toward country-pop, it is not really country. I also wonder if, since country artists hitched their wagon to the war effort, when the support for the war dropped, country music popularity dropped...but, that would be a topic for someone who actually follows country music, which aint me.

Are you listening to RedScare, Tony Awards? B)

^^^^What does that mean DJ, Tony Awards ?^^^^

Just sayin' yo. They alwayz complain about why no one watches them, but all they ever talk about is Broadway and why anybody cares about that street.

But back to the topic, yo TJones, what 'chu tink of a Music Awards show in Houston. Chances of it..

Well, we got the Essence awards. Maybe P.Diddy will think that H-town is off the hizzy, and get bizzy wit da holla on the awardicide. Make MTV come on down, since the people do receive The Moonman as an award, maybe make it have a little more significance being here in "Space City". Just a thought. B)

I remember watching MTV during the Superbowl, and how all the stars were saying "Oh yeah, we come to Houston all the time, not just for the Super Bowl!"

I smell some b/s.

Maybe the bling-bling squad (aka: the thugged out rappers)..

Archived