Texas Children's Hospital Mark Wallace Tower/TMC Garage 16 At 6701 Fannin St.

citykid09

Med Center Crowne Plaza to turn out lights

Mary Ann Azevedo

Houston Business Journal

After more than three decades in operation, the Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston-Medical Center will close its doors next month.

The closing comes on the heels of last month's purchase of the property -- located at 6701 Main St. -- by Baylor College of Medicine. The Crowne Plaza will permanently close its doors on Dec. 18, according to the hotel's Web site and Baylor officials.

The property is one of three Main Street tracts that Baylor purchased from Houston-based The Redstone Cos. in a transaction that closed on Oct. 11, according to Baylor spokeswoman Lori Williams. The medical institution has also purchased a 74,000-square-foot tract that currently houses a Wells Fargo bank, as well as a 67,000-square-foot vacant tract across the street at Main and Southgate.

To read the rest click here:

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../14/story5.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

other than this article is from Nov. 2005, i can't find much of anything (maybe something has already been posted on this forum, though):

After more than three decades in operation, the Crowne Plaza Hotel Houston-Medical Center will close its doors next month.

The closing comes on the heels of last month's purchase of the property -- located at 6701 Main St. -- by Baylor College of Medicine. The Crowne Plaza will permanently close its doors on Dec. 18, according to the hotel's Web site and Baylor officials.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../14/story5.html

and yeah, Cherry is doing the demolition

Project No:

Date:

7/20/2007

USE:

COMM DEMO/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

CROWNE PLAZA MEDICAL CENTER

Job Address:

6701 MAIN ST

Tax ID:

Buyer:

CHERRY DEMOLITION *

Address:

6131 SELINSKY 77048

Phone:

Sefviv's post explains it all :)

Actually, Sevfiv's post did not explain it all, as the linked article said only that there were no definite plans for the site.

According to the Baylor College of Medicine Strategic Plan Progress Report -2006, "Texas Children's Hospital has made a commitment to build a maternity hospital on Fannin Street where the current Wells Fargo Bank Building and Crowne Plaza Hotel currently stand. Programmatic and space planning for this program is well underway and the facility, to be completed in 2010, will be approximately 20 floors in height."

Thanks for the info. That sounds great. It would be sad to see that lot empty for too long, it has so much potential. If the new development has retail and connects with the new Rice research center which will have retail, and the existing Baylor retail area, that would be awesome. The medical center is turning into a real urban district. All it needs nor are apartments nearby, but I guess the metro serves the same purpose (almost).

That location will suck for foot traffic other than from the Holiday in and the TCH's patients and visitors. It would be rather unlikely that people from metro (but the office workers might!)would be willing to cross holcomb to just grab a snack unless they need to bring something home, at which point, the Drydan location would suffice.

The most challenging crossing would be for those staying at the Holiday Inn, but that can't be helped.

It will be highly unlikely for there to be apartments located anywhere near that area unless they're incorporated into future buildings in the area, and quite frankly, there is a market for high end housing for people that have extended stays in Houston for medical treatment. Hotel ZaZa's getting quite a bit of action for people that are taking treatment at MD Anderson (like I predicted, btw).

Actually, Sevfiv's post did not explain it all, as the linked article said only that there were no definite plans for the site.

According to the Baylor College of Medicine Strategic Plan Progress Report -2006, "Texas Children's Hospital has made a commitment to build a maternity hospital on Fannin Street where the current Wells Fargo Bank Building and Crowne Plaza Hotel currently stand. Programmatic and space planning for this program is well underway and the facility, to be completed in 2010, will be approximately 20 floors in height."

thanks - that was the information i couldn't find.

here is the report:

http://www.bcm.edu/pdf/strategicplan-report2006.pdf

the Crowne Plaza information is on page 27

Does anyone know what kind of demo this is going to be? Is it going to be a conventional, explosive, or combo? that's a significantly sized building. Look at how long it took to demo the last building on that street, and then they had to finish it with a explosion!

Does anyone know what kind of demo this is going to be? Is it going to be a conventional, explosive, or combo? that's a significantly sized building. Look at how long it took to demo the last building on that street, and then they had to finish it with a explosion!

i am guessing implosion.

they had to be really careful about the Methodist West Pavilion/Diagnostic Center demolition because of the adjacent building, but this one isn't so cozy

Edited by sevfiv

• 2 months later...

Fannin, Main and the Light Rail will close aroung 6:15AM that morning. Best street level viewing would be from Southgate looking east. The TCH campus will be locked down, not allowing the public to view from inside it's own buildings. I'm sure most of the other instituitions will do the same. Wells Fargo will come down by use of wrecking ball and big dozers.

Why would TCH not allow it's own employees to view the implosion? I know people who have views from their windows at TCH of the Crowne Plaza. I'd like to get some pics of it coming down, if only I knew what time. Any ideas? Some time after 6:15 I guess...

I'd like to get some pics of it coming down, if only I knew what time. Any ideas? Some time after 6:15 I guess...

when the Methodist building was imploded, folks started gathering at Rice early - i was there about thirty minutes before the scheduled time (maybe 6am?).

i think people that work in the vicinity got/will get an email with the specifics.

i'll ask around.

• 3 weeks later...

Fannin Street and Main Street between Dryden and Holcombe Blvd. will be closed on Sunday, November 11, 2007 from 6:30 AM until 12:00 PM for implosion of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The implosion is scheduled for 7:10 AM. Inspection and cleanup of the streets will begin immediately after the implosion. The streets will reopen to traffic as soon as possible after the implosion. It is estimated that the cleanup and opening of the streets will occur within 3 hours of the implosion.

Southbound through traffic on Main and Fannin will be detoured to the west on Holcombe, Greenbriar and University.

METRORail service through the Texas Medical Center area will be closed during this time. METRO will provide Bus Bridging to transport METRORail passengers around the affected area.

All drivers and pedestrians will need to follow the detour signage around the area. All hospitals and Texas Medical Center Garage #1 will remain open during the implosion.

http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en/Visit...a+Implosion.htm

Just a look around on Windows Live, looks like there's an empty field just to the west and a street level parking lot just south of that. I'm definately going to try to go and get a good position with a videocamera and camera.

Hope I can get some clear shots. If I do I'll post them as soon as possible afterwards.

Edited by Boris