Sign in to follow this  
Reefmonkey

801 St. Joseph (Abandoned Days Inn Downtown)

Reefmonkey    33

How has this eyesore been allowed to remain in this condition for so long? From what I have read, the current owner has owned it since 2012, and last I read they claimed in 2016 they had plans to make it back into a hotel, but it's been two years, and at least from the Pierce Elevated, it looks like no progress has been made. More than just an eyesore, this building has been a dangerous haven for the homeless, and I don't just mean that there is probably a lot of drug use and other crime going on in it, it looks to me structurally unsafe for homeless people to be in. It amazes me that someone would sit on such an expensive piece of property for so long, paying taxes on it while generating no revenue from it, not to mention exposing themselves to liability from it. Is there any remedy the City can take to put a lien on the property and/or otherwise take it over and demolish it?

Nate99    6,336
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, Reefmonkey said:

How has this eyesore been allowed to remain in this condition for so long? From what I have read, the current owner has owned it since 2012, and last I read they claimed in 2016 they had plans to make it back into a hotel, but it's been two years, and at least from the Pierce Elevated, it looks like no progress has been made. More than just an eyesore, this building has been a dangerous haven for the homeless, and I don't just mean that there is probably a lot of drug use and other crime going on in it, it looks to me structurally unsafe for homeless people to be in. It amazes me that someone would sit on such an expensive piece of property for so long, paying taxes on it while generating no revenue from it, not to mention exposing themselves to liability from it. Is there any remedy the City can take to put a lien on the property and/or otherwise take it over and demolish it?

Here's a 14 year old thread from the Downtown subforum. This thing's infamy is pretty legendary.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/2503-holiday-days-heaven-on-earth-inn-801-calhoun/