Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

As far as we know, this diner should be opening within a few weeks. The diner will be located at the corner of Brazos and Pierce in the shadow of the Pierce Elevated.

I am wondering if this will be a 24 hour type place as there are few places like this in midtown.

Parking maybe an issue as well.

Any new restaurant is a welcome addition in my opinion.

Does the Deco Diner have any parking? They seem to have taken a small triangular piece of property and placed the restaurant on it. The location is funky and there is not much visibility. I only seem to see it in my rearview mirror. I think access to this location is going to be an issue. Houston is a tough town on new restaurants. It feels kind of risky to me. What does everyone else think? I say 25% chance they make it one year.

Dream

Midtown is just about reaching a critical mass. Look at Little Woodrow's, Front Porch Pub, and the very popular BW3. All of these places are packed. In fact, the Midtown Crossing parking lot is always filled. Street parking has become necessary. This will be the case with the Deco Diner, I believe. Obviously there will not be enough parking on that tiny little triangular lot.

Midtowners will soon become accustomed to street parking.

This was in this weeks HBJ about the Diner

"Deco Diner squeezes onto downtown tract

Two veterans in the local restaurant industry are planning to open a diner on a 13,000-square-foot triangular tract of downtown land at Brazos and Pierce.

Because of the extremely small size of the parcel, Bill Loftus and Nancy French had the diner constructed off-site and then brought it in on two 18-wheeler trucks, putting the pieces together on the site.

"I've been driving by that piece of land for the past 20 years wondering why someone hasn't done anything with that neat piece of property," Loftus says. "We're not going to be your typical Mel's Diner -- we're looking to blow people away."

Deco Diner is scheduled to open in the next three to four weeks and will offer hamburgers, salads and sandwiches, as well as daily specials.

Loftus and French are looking to open four additional Deco Diners in the Midtown and downtown areas. They say the diners will focus on downtown workers during the day for breakfast and carry-out lunches and on the growing downtown residential population for dinner and late-night orders.

"Late-night orders"? Does that mean it'll be open 24 hours? :)

Wow, 4 additional locations in Midtown & downtown? That's kind of a lot.

About the parking issue, I thought the city had planning ordinances that required a certain number of parking spaces to be available on site. How did they get around that?

• 1 month later...
Does the Deco Diner have any parking? They seem to have taken a small triangular piece of property and placed the restaurant on it. The location is funky and there is not much visibility. I only seem to see it in my rearview mirror. I think access to this location is going to be an issue. Houston is a tough town on new restaurants. It feels kind of risky to me. What does everyone else think? I say 25% chance they make it one year.

Dream

I told you guys this location was a "DOG" back in August. However, I was surprised to see the "for lease" sign in the window last week. No Deco Diner for Midtown, hopefully Starbucks will come along and take over the spot. They can make money anywhere!

Dream

I told you guys this location was a "DOG" back in August. However,  I was surprised to see the "for lease" sign in the window last week. No Deco Diner for Midtown, hopefully Starbucks will come along and take over the spot. They can make money anywhere!

Dream

Leave it up to Starbucks to be the savior! Ha! No Chance....This place will flourish just because of the random location it is in. Thousands of people are in walking distance of the A.M. vendor, and it will be diner prices! Why you ask! Because it is on THE LOT IT'S ON!!

Wake up.

Hey Mr. Houstonretail, can you tell us why this fell through?

Yep.

The partners had different needs and ended up going in different directions days from opening. They are obviously trying to lease it to someone now and I think it is a great location for a diner similar to what it was going to be. I would hate to see a starbucks here (they would not use the current structure anyway). Starbucks would go somewhere like the BW3 Center.

The location is great for a diner becuase they would grab all of the people coming from downtown after the clubs close for a bite to eat instead of going to Mais.