Jump to content

The many University of Houstons


Reefmonkey

Recommended Posts

The naming conventions of the different University of Houston branches seem to be getting more and more cumbersome and paradoxical.

 

University of Houston - no brainer.

University of Houston - Clear Lake. Yeah, okay, Clear Lake is in COH, makes sense.

University of Houston Downtown - okay

 

University of Houston - Victoria - Now it's starting to get weird, Victoria isn't even in Houston's MSA

University of Houston Downtown - Northwest, Cy-Fair, Kingwood - now we're all over the place

University of Houston - Victoria, Katy campus - ????

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Don't forget the new UH campus at Katy next to the new Katy Asian Town development.  According to the press release, that will be UH nursing and UH engineering along with UHV at Katy.  I'm assuming the current UHV at Katy campus will be closed in favor of this one, but who knows?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...
On 1/12/2019 at 1:42 AM, august948 said:

Don't forget the new UH campus at Katy next to the new Katy Asian Town development.  According to the press release, that will be UH nursing and UH engineering along with UHV at Katy.  I'm assuming the current UHV at Katy campus will be closed in favor of this one, but who knows?

How many of these U of H campuses is the University of Houston planning to build ? 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

How many of these U of H campuses is the University of Houston planning to build ? 🤔

As many as it takes to put UT and TAMU in their place, with the end goal of diverting all PUF money to UH, since anything Houston related is superior to anything else in Texas.🤣

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I went to my second favorite Texas city San Antonio this weekend (I’m a sucker for the holiday lighting of the Riverwalk), took I-37 exit from I-10 and the first exit sign (on the official overhead interstate signage) was for whatever comes before Commerce but it also said University of Houston. Not University of Houston-San Antonio but University of Houston, at the same prominence as the exit off of I-45. 

So I looked it up, and it made total sense.

There is a UH-SA that is only an extension of the Hilton School. 

How great!

https://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2016/April/52HRMsa.php

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Well I went to my second favorite Texas city San Antonio this weekend (I’m a sucker for the holiday lighting of the Riverwalk), took I-37 exit from I-10 and the first exit sign (on the official overhead interstate signage) was for whatever comes before Commerce but it also said University of Houston. Not University of Houston-San Antonio but University of Houston, at the same prominence as the exit off of I-45. 

So I looked it up, and it made total sense.

There is a UH-SA that is only an extension of the Hilton School. 

How great!

https://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2016/April/52HRMsa.php

UT started the war.  Now we are going to encircle Austin and defeat it.  If the legislature won't let us into the permanent fund then we'll have to explore other options. :ph34r:

Riverwalk lights are the best.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, august948 said:

UT started the war.  Now we are going to encircle Austin and defeat it.  If the legislature won't let us into the permanent fund then we'll have to explore other options. :ph34r:

Riverwalk lights are the best.

I can see it now UH-Dallas UH-Austin 😁

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2022 at 8:09 PM, Blue Dogs said:

How many of these U of H campuses is the University of Houston planning to build ? 🤔

I would think that they'd at least build one in each major suburb.  Haven't looked to see if they have one already, but the Woodlands/Conroe area would be a good spot also.  Bear in mind that Houston has two of the five largest community colleges in the country...not the state...the country.  Having a nearby four year institution where you can complete or finish your degree without having to commute in is a huge benefit for these students.  Also, this makes it convenient for working folks to finish their bachelors or masters after the work day is done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, august948 said:

I would think that they'd at least build one in each major suburb.  Haven't looked to see if they have one already, but the Woodlands/Conroe area would be a good spot also.  Bear in mind that Houston has two of the five largest community colleges in the country...not the state...the country.  Having a nearby four year institution where you can complete or finish your degree without having to commute in is a huge benefit for these students.  Also, this makes it convenient for working folks to finish their bachelors or masters after the work day is done.

Can anyone provide any clarification on how the enabling legislation works on these things?  In other words, do the institutions have de facto legal "home territories"?  SHSU has expanded into Montgomery County, for example, so I wonder if this precludes any UH institution there.  How did the respective UT (Edinburg, El Paso, Tyler, etc) and A&M branches (Commerce, Corpus Christi, etc.) get established around the state?  How do these territories overlap with the "Tier 2" (my definition, although there must be an official one) schools like SHSU, SFA, Sul Ross, etc.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Can anyone provide any clarification on how the enabling legislation works on these things?  In other words, do the institutions have de facto legal "home territories"?  SHSU has expanded into Montgomery County, for example, so I wonder if this precludes any UH institution there.  How did the respective UT (Edinburg, El Paso, Tyler, etc) and A&M branches (Commerce, Corpus Christi, etc.) get established around the state?  How do these territories overlap with the "Tier 2" (my definition, although there must be an official one) schools like SHSU, SFA, Sul Ross, etc.?

The Legislature does the heavy lifting on this. You can look at the Wikipedia pages for all of those institutions and see how they started, when they joined a system and changed names, and other useful information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, august948 said:

I would think that they'd at least build one in each major suburb.  Haven't looked to see if they have one already, but the Woodlands/Conroe area would be a good spot also.  Bear in mind that Houston has two of the five largest community colleges in the country...not the state...the country.  Having a nearby four year institution where you can complete or finish your degree without having to commute in is a huge benefit for these students.  Also, this makes it convenient for working folks to finish their bachelors or masters after the work day is done.

According to this https://uhsystem.edu/uh-system/,

UH (the flagship university of the UH System) has "instructional sites" at UH at Sugar Land and UH at Katy

UH Clear Lake, in addition to Clear Lake, has "instructional sites" at Pearland

UH Downtown, in addition to Downtown, has "instructional sites" at Northwest (former Compaq campus), and Kingwood

UH Victoria, in addition to Victoria, has "instructional sites" at Katy.

Nothing shown in The Woodlands or Conroe, but it also doesn't show San Antonio, so I'm not sure how complete this is.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...