Historic Houston Car Dealers And Repair Shops

Subdude

Plus, the small lot dealerships in town are one last glimmer of the way Houston used to be ...

Raymond Pearson Ford

Downtown

Extant

PearsonFord.jpg

Raymond Pearson Lincoln-Mercury

1320 Louisiana

Demolished

PearsonMercury.jpg

Krieger Motors

Louisiana and Pierce

Demolished

KriegerMotors.jpg

Bonner's Willys Motors

1616 Pease

Demolished

BonnersWIllys.jpg

Hart Radiator Works

1615 Chenevert

Demolished

HartRadiator.jpg

Tommie Vaughn Ford

1111 North Shepherd

Extant

TVaughn.jpg

Ivy-Russell Ford

1102 Yale

Extant

IvyRussell.jpg

Auto Trading Center

3702 Old Spanish Trail

Demolished

usedcars.jpg

Hemphill Ford

6600 South Main

Demolished

Hemphill.jpg

Archer Rambler

5000 Block Kirby

Extant

ArcherRambler.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent photos, Subdude! I love looking at those old cars. On a different topic I talked about the days when there were simply cars and pickup trucks, no mini-vans and SUVs. If you had a big family and needed more room, you bought what was called a station wagon.

Back then in Houston (1962-64), I remember hearing commercials on the radio for Tommie Vaughn Ford. Yes, I heard that it is still in business, but does it still look the same way that your photo shows it? I also remember hearing the radio commercials for Chuck Davis Chevrolet, but I guess that you don't have a photo of it.

Raymond Pearson Ford

Downtown

Extant

PearsonFord.jpg

Raymond Pearson Lincoln-Mercury

1320 Louisiana

Demolished

PearsonMercury.jpg

Krieger Motors

Louisiana and Pierce

Demolished

KriegerMotors.jpg

Bonner's Willys Motors

1616 Pease

Demolished

BonnersWIllys.jpg

Hart Radiator Works

1615 Chenevert

Demolished

HartRadiator.jpg

Tommie Vaughn Ford

1111 North Shepherd

Extant

TVaughn.jpg

Ivy-Russell Ford

1102 Yale

Extant

IvyRussell.jpg

Auto Trading Center

3702 Old Spanish Trail

Demolished

usedcars.jpg

Hemphill Ford

6600 South Main

Demolished

Hemphill.jpg

Archer Rambler

5000 Block Kirby

Extant

ArcherRambler.jpg

Talk about bringing back memories! My first car was a 1963 Rambler American.

My grandfather owned a Sinclair gas station on Shepherd near 59 in the 1950's...right where there's a sort of point between it and Greenbriar. I so wish I had pictures of it...but I can't seem to find any in my family's old photos.

Edited by MadMax

• 2 years later...

In the last few days they have begun removing the old "Eckerd's" signs from 1102 Yale (@ 11th St.) and you can see the original facade of Ivy-Russell Ford. I'm not sure if they're gonna demo, but there's definitely something going on.

I remember when Russel & Smith Ford openned in 1969. It was literally within throwing distance of Joe Meyer's house in Braeswood. The Meyers lived on Latma street, near the South Loop east of Stella Link. I always thought it unusual because the Smith's lived in Tanglewood, near Joe Meyers Ford (kinduv) and the Meyer's lived in Braeswood near Russel & Smith Ford. These two gentlemen could have just switched franchises and made life easier on themselves.

I don't remember a lot of auto dealerships from those days....but I do remember those my parent's used...here might be some that have not been listed or pictured:

OK Bud Moore (on 59 and 610 North)

Aubry, Orville and Mack ( don't remember their company affiliation, they may have sold used autos)

Sam Montgomery Olds( on Kirby with the Rocket Ship coming off of the roof)

Rosenstock Plymouth/Dodge downtown ( oh those Dodge push button transmissions)

DeMontrand(sp) Buick at Kirby and Westheimer

Art Grindle (at Chimney Rock and Westheimer) "I want to sell you a car !"

Jack Roach( at Buffalo Speedway and Bissonet) had stuffed animals in the showrrom

I don't remember a lot of auto dealerships from those days....but I do remember those my parent's used...here might be some that have not been listed or pictured:

OK Bud Moore (on 59 and 610 North)

Aubry, Orville and Mack ( don't remember their company affiliation, they may have sold used autos)

Sam Montgomery Olds( on Kirby with the Rocket Ship coming off of the roof)

Rosenstock Plymouth/Dodge downtown ( oh those Dodge push button transmissions)DeMontrand(sp) Buick at Kirby and Westheimer

Art Grindle (at Chimney Rock and Westheimer) "I want to sell you a car !"

Jack Roach( at Buffalo Speedway and Bissonet) had stuffed animals in the showrrom

I may have mentioned this in another thread, but my cousin worked for Rosenstock and did their TV ads. I also had one of those Dodge push button cars while I was in college.

The favorite now extinct car dealer of my youth was Rudi's Automotive on W. 34th Street between Hempstead Highway and what would now be 290. They were the purveyor of all things Italian being a dealer for Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, and Fiat. I would ride my bicycle, then later my motorcycle, over from Spring Branch to drool over their latest offerings. The employees were always nice to this kid, letting me sit in the cars, etc. Right out of high school, I owned my own little piece of Italiano, a Fiat X 1/9, and as I was learning how to work on it myself (a frequent occurence), one of the mechanics there was always giving me advice and letting me borrow some special tools from time to time. Today, I'd venture to say most exotic car owners are more into image than performance. Back then, only a true enthusiast was brave enough to face the sometimes ackward ownership and maintenance of such wonderful cars.

Edited by Scott08

Anyone have photos of Sam White Oldsmobile? It later became Mossy Oldsmobile, and is now Stewart Cadillac, located in the block bounded by Main, McGowen, and Travis. I've admired the building on the corner of McGowen and Travis for years (the one with all the windows). It used to be Sam White's service department, but I've often wondered if it predated the dealership or not.

I remember when I was about four years old, my parents went to purchase a new Oldsmobile at Sam White. They wound up getting a '68 Delta 88 despite my firmly-held opinion that they should opt for a 4-4-2 instead, proof that I was into muscle cars at a very early age.

I may have mentioned this in another thread, but my cousin worked for Rosenstock and did their TV ads. I also had one of those Dodge push button cars while I was in college.

My dad bought a new '57 Plymouth 8-cylinder 4-door sedan with pushbutton transmission from Rosenstock. A fantastic, flashy car, red and white, huge tail fins and red-black-and-gold lurex upholstery. Fun to drive, great on the highway, but hell to parallel park. After he retired, he sold it and bought a small, conservative Dodge, also from Rosenstock. By then, the pushbutton transmission concept was obsolete.

That Plymouth would be a hot collector's item today!

I had forgotten there was that Buick dealership at Kirby & Westheimer, where Taco Milagro is now. It wasn't Demontrond in it's latest incarnation, HUB maybe? It was there until the late 80's or early 90's.

There was a Lincoln-Mercury dealership on Kirby too, somewhere around where Whole Foods is now I think. I remember my brother getting a horrid Mercury version of the Pinto there, I think it was called a Bobcat. But hey, it was a Mercury so I guess it was much fancier than a regular Pinto! :lol: (I'm sure it would have BLOWN UP just the same in a rear end collision)

Speaking of fancier, upper Kirby is a lot more upscale than it was in those days.

There was also a Cadillac dealership where the Post Midtown apartments are now. Bland Cadillac maybe? There was also Cadillac dealership at 610 and Post Oak Road where that uptown plaza is now.

I also remember a dealership, maybe a Chevy? there where the Randalls is at Shepherd and Westheimer.

For those out north I can remember a little country dealership in Tomball that was on the corner of 249 and 2920. It was a tiny old country showroom that would only fit one car on the showroom floor! I think it was a Pontiac dealership, it is probably still in business out there in a new big showroom.

Yep, Bland Cadillac was on Gray where the apartments are now. I seem to remember thay also sold Saabs. I met the last manager at a storage place one time. He said it just became impossible to sell luxury cars at that location, and the real estate was more valuable than the business.

I also remember a dealership, maybe a Chevy? there where the Randalls is at Shepherd and Westheimer.

Jimmie Green Chevrolet was on Shepherd next to a Gulf station, which was at the southeast corner of Shepherd and Westheimer.

Very cool, Subdude!

Another one that is 'extant' is Stewart Cadillac downtown. Not sure but think this used to be Mossy Olds ...

Someone told me that current day Stewart Cadillac was at one point a Rolls Royce dealership.

There was also a Chevrolet dealership at the NE corner of OST and Tierwester. I don't know when it closed, but it was finally torn down around 1993-1994. Some of those cheapo apartments sit where it was now.

New Car Dealers from July 1949 Southwestern Bell Greater Houston Telephone Directory

BUICK

Earl North Buick 2215 Milam

Higgenbotham Buick 7001 Harrisburg

CADILLAC

DB McDaniel Cadillac 1320 Milam

CHEVROLET

Bob Robertson Chevrolet 302 Broadway

Channel Chevrolet 302 Broadway

Dow Motor Company 710 Walker

Downtown Chevrolet 1400 McKinney

Knapp Chevrolet 815 Houston

Richardson Chevrolet 1418 Caroline

South Main Chevrolet 2300 Main

CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH

Abbott Stansel 1220 San Jacinto

AC Burton 1414 Milam

Bob Harris Motor Pasadena

Jess Allen 525 Broadway

CROSLEY

Fly and Harwood 2109 Milam

DESOTO PLYMOUTH

Avenue Motors 1605 Washington

Rosenstock Motors 1120 McKinney

Tony Martin 235 Broadway

DODGE PLYMOUTH

Bryant Motor 6501 Harrisburg

Burkett Motors 1121 McKinney

Jackson Motors 2404 Main

Kreiger Motors 1901 Milam

FORD

Earl McMillian Inc 800 Louisiana

Hargis Motor Co. 1601 Louisiana

Harris County Motor Co. 125 N Walters Pasadena

Ivy Russell Motor Co 2201 Main

Jack Roach 615 Broadway

Johnson Motor Co, 1700 N. Main

Raymond Pearson Inc. 1306 Caroline

FRAZER

South Texas Motor Co 2310 Main

Sterling Motors 816 W. Sterling Pasadena

HUDSON

Broadway Motor Co 402 Broadway

Washington Motors 3711 Washington

Welty Motor Co 1701 Milam

KAISER

J Robinson 6847 Harrisburg

South Texas Motor Co 2311 Main

Sterling Motors 816 W. Sterling Pasadena

LINCOLN MERCURY

Raymond Pearson Inc. 1320 Louisiana

MERCURY

Turbiville Motors 3535 Main

NASH

Thompson Nash Co 2120 Milam

Vance and Sons 1402 San Jacinto

OLDSMOBILE

Public Motors 1519 Main

Rountree Motors 1401 Travis

PACKARD

Meador Motor Co 1315 Milam

Southern Motor Co 1401 Travis

PLAYBOY

Denton and Thompson 2423 S. Wayside

Auto and Trailer Sales

PONTIAC

Lester Goodson Pontiac 1117 San Jacinto

Simpson Pontiac 1621 Milam

STUDEBAKER

Bill Lee Motors 7141 Lawndale

Mosehart And Keller 1103 San Jacinto

TUCKER

Texas Tucker Sales Commerce Building

WILLYS

Bonners Willys Motors 1616 Pease

WILLYS OVERLAND

Harrisburg Willys Overland 900 Broadway

O'Kelley Motor Co 4111 Main

Palmer Motor Co 2225 Washington

I had forgotten there was that Buick dealership at Kirby & Westheimer, where Taco Milagro is now. It wasn't Demontrond in it's latest incarnation, HUB maybe? It was there until the late 80's or early 90's.

There was a Lincoln-Mercury dealership on Kirby too, somewhere around where Whole Foods is now I think. I remember my brother getting a horrid Mercury version of the Pinto there, I think it was called a Bobcat. But hey, it was a Mercury so I guess it was much fancier than a regular Pinto! :lol: (I'm sure it would have BLOWN UP just the same in a rear end collision)

They were Hub Buick and River Oaks Lincoln Mercury. They moved out to I10 and Kirkwood and changed names to Westpoint Lincoln Mercury Buick.

There was also a MacRoberts Chevrolet out 59N somewhere, they used a Scottish Terrier in all their ads. In the same area was Meyers Chevrolet which was later became Mel Phar, I think he was some minor baseball player.

JOE

Edited by texianjoe

• 5 months later...

The pictures at the top are not showing on my side probably due to the fact that they are not recent pictures. But I have tried looking all over on the internet have been for about a month now and can not find any pictures of the Ivy-Russel Motor Co. dealership. I am seeking a picture of the Ivy-Russel Motor Co. dealership taken roughly in 1955-1959 and of the one on Yale Street if possible. I have a vehicle I obtained from family that bought the car from Ivy-Russel Motor Co. (not sure if its the Yale one or not but is close to his place of residence at the time of the sale) and I would like to have a picture of the dealership then and if possible one between the time it was converted or one after they removed the sign showing the old painted sign behind it.

Both of my Grandfathers owned garauges in down town durning the 30's and 40's almost right next to each other on Main and McKenny. The names were Grantham Tires and Purnell Auto Repair. I have a few pictures I post in the next week.

I was told that the Chevy dealer on OST was "Chuck Davis" Chevrolet, before they moved to their present location on Kirby.
Edited by redraider

The pictures at the top are not showing on my side probably due to the fact that they are not recent pictures. But I have tried looking all over on the internet have been for about a month now and can not find any pictures of the Ivy-Russel Motor Co. dealership. I am seeking a picture of the Ivy-Russel Motor Co. dealership taken roughly in 1955-1959 and of the one on Yale Street if possible. I have a vehicle I obtained from family that bought the car from Ivy-Russel Motor Co. (not sure if its the Yale one or not but is close to his place of residence at the time of the sale) and I would like to have a picture of the dealership then and if possible one between the time it was converted or one after they removed the sign showing the old painted sign behind it.

You have a pop up blocker on or something. They should show if your settings are right.

I bought my car at Courtesy Chevrolet ("Seventy-Seven, Seventy-Seven, Katy Freeway"). I don't remember it being architecturally all that. Correct me if I'm wrong. Knapp is a must have photo, my favorite. Jack Roach was something special, too. Also, River Oaks Chrysler on Kirby is nice. I got my Rendezvous at David Taylor, a very Colonial/Greek Revival looking building. I have to go there tomorrow, I'll try to remember to take a few shots.