Historic Houston Car Dealers And Repair Shops

Subdude

You have a pop up blocker on or something. They should show if your settings are right.

I dont think a popup blocker would make pictures show up with the broken page logo (white page with a red X). Ive never experianced that before. But I dont think my popup blocker is active though cause it would have came up asking if I want to allow the popup or not.

I just disabled the pop up blocker and it still shows the same broken image logo.

I also got the link to the picture and it said that the image wasnt found.

Edited by Rusty_S

My dad used to go to Hub Buick in the late 80s when it was at Kirby and Westheimer. When was it built? It had such an old fashioned driveway for service drop off. The parts department also looked like it was at least 50 years old in the 80s.

I saw my 1st Buick Reatta at that place. It was a pretty historic dealership since they must have made so many sales to River oaks buyers over the years. I can recall that 1 shock absorber used to cost $12 for a 1980 model buick. In 02 i had to pay $450 to replace 1 strut on a japanese car....sigh the good ole days.

Jack Roach Ford used to be in the building on the south feeder of 59 just west of Kirby. It became a furniture store in the late 90s and they did not make use of the parking on the roof.

Ferrari of Houston used to be located on the east feeder of 59 just north of Hillcroft. They had 4-5 cars parked behind a glass wall that was the front of the building and everyone was welcome to come and gawk even after hours. I think the structure is still there.

Worthington Chevy was on the other side of 59 on the northwest corner of Hillcroft. It became Apple Chevy in the early 90s. Then they moved futher south on 59 and became Allen Samuels Chevy. That parcel of land got developed into a gas station, strip malls, etc....just jammed tons of business into a small space and it looks pretty junky.

Where the Asian X-brand stores are now located (southwest corner of Harwin and Hillcroft) there used to be Southwest Volkswagen. I went there as a kid in the late 80s and I think they closed shop shortly thereafter. Years later in 05 I found a 1973 VW Bug for sale that was bought new there by the 40+ year resident of Sharpstown who was selling. The car is parked in my garage right now.

The pictures at the top are not showing on my side probably due to the fact that they are not recent pictures. But I have tried looking all over on the internet have been for about a month now and can not find any pictures of the Ivy-Russel Motor Co. dealership. I am seeking a picture of the Ivy-Russel Motor Co. dealership taken roughly in 1955-1959 and of the one on Yale Street if possible. I have a vehicle I obtained from family that bought the car from Ivy-Russel Motor Co. (not sure if its the Yale one or not but is close to his place of residence at the time of the sale) and I would like to have a picture of the dealership then and if possible one between the time it was converted or one after they removed the sign showing the old painted sign behind it.

The hosting service disables links after a period of time if no one looks at the pictures. I have been busy but I will repost Ivy Russell this weekend. Also take a look here for some more info and newer pictures of the building.

My dad used to go to Hub Buick in the late 80s when it was at Kirby and Westheimer. When was it built? It had such an old fashioned driveway for service drop off. The parts department also looked like it was at least 50 years old in the 80s.

I saw my 1st Buick Reatta at that place. It was a pretty historic dealership since they must have made so many sales to River oaks buyers over the years. I can recall that 1 shock absorber used to cost $12 for a 1980 model buick. In 02 i had to pay $450 to replace 1 strut on a japanese car....sigh the good ole days.

It was Demontrond Buick before Hub and was at that location for many years.

• 2 months later...

I havent been past the old Ivy-Russell dealership location but I have heard from someone locally that has drove past there that the building has been torn down and its something else there does anyone have any information on that?

• 3 weeks later...
I havent been past the old Ivy-Russell dealership location but I have heard from someone locally that has drove past there that the building has been torn down and its something else there does anyone have any information on that?

Ive been by the other day it has a for lease/for sale sign out front and it looks nice looks like it was put back like it was minus the door on that flat cornered edge but it looks nice. If that for lease/for sale sign that i remember seeing was real and I had the money id buy that place up lol.

The hosting service disables links after a period of time if no one looks at the pictures. I have been busy but I will repost Ivy Russell this weekend. Also take a look here for some more info and newer pictures of the building.

Hi Sub! I think I've PM'd you about this very subject, not being able to see your wonderful photos. I was especially disappointed because I was never able to view the great postcard collection you posted a while back of old motels along OST, including the Alama Court Motel. I can see other people's images but not yours for some unknown reason. I am on Firefox (latest and greatest) and Safari. If you think of any solution, let me know. Thanks! :blink:

Hi Sub! I think I've PM'd you about this very subject, not being able to see your wonderful photos. ... I can see other people's images but not yours for some unknown reason. I am on Firefox (latest and greatest) and Safari. If you think of any solution, let me know. Thanks! :blink:

I periodically have this problem and have come up with a workaround.

just reply to the post that has the image in it and within the quote it will show you the web address of the file you want to see.

cut and paste it into a new browser window.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Google maps shows 6th and Yale Paint & Body at 6th and Yale (of all places). When I lived in Houston, this was Satterwhite's Garage (I went to school with the owner's son). The car on the pole went up in the mid-50's so if it is still there, that car has been sitting on that pole for over 50 years.

6th&Yale.jpg

Just J, I never realized that was Satterwhite's on 6th and Yale. Didn't they also have a place on North Shepherd somewhere?

I have wondered if that car was still up there. If I remember, wasn't a 52 Ford?

I never knew about a shop on N. Shepherd. David and I ran around together and spent a quite a few Saturdays at the Yale shop rebuilding an old James motercycle. I think I would have heard about a 2nd shop. OTOH, they may have moved there after I left Houston...or may have been on N. Shepherd before moving to 6th & Yale.

Yes, the call was a 52 Ford, sectioned down the middle.

Talking about old car dealerships, no one mentioned Frizelle Pontiac. They had a plane fly slowly over the city with a loudspeaker proclaiming, ""You'll get a whale of a deal at Frizelle Pontiac."

I remember one of the kids in my neighorhood ran home and told his parents that he heard God telling everyone to buy a Pontiac. He was crying because his father only bought Fords and he was afraid they were all going to hell.

I remember a lot of skywriting too. I don't remember what they were selling.

ISTR DeMontrond Buick used a speaker plane sometimes. In 1964, I was dating a girl whose father was Service Manager at DeMondtrond.

• 1 year later...

Raymond Pearson Ford

Downtown

Extant

PearsonFord.jpg

Raymond Pearson Lincoln-Mercury

1320 Louisiana

Demolished

PearsonMercury.jpg

Krieger Motors

Louisiana and Pierce

Demolished

KriegerMotors.jpg

Bonner's Willys Motors

1616 Pease

Demolished

BonnersWIllys.jpg

Hart Radiator Works

1615 Chenevert

Demolished

HartRadiator.jpg

Tommie Vaughn Ford

1111 North Shepherd

Extant

TVaughn.jpg

Ivy-Russell Ford

1102 Yale

Extant

IvyRussell.jpg

Auto Trading Center

3702 Old Spanish Trail

Demolished

usedcars.jpg

Hemphill Ford

6600 South Main

Demolished

Hemphill.jpg

Archer Rambler

5000 Block Kirby

Extant

ArcherRambler.jpg

I can remember Tommie Vaughn Ford way back in the 1960s. Mr. Vaughn died a few years ago. I did find a couple of things.

24269091a_tn220x220.jpg

Copy%20of%20TVF%20sign-200x113.JPG

• 1 month later...

Google maps shows 6th and Yale Paint & Body at 6th and Yale (of all places). When I lived in Houston, this was Satterwhite's Garage (I went to school with the owner's son). The car on the pole went up in the mid-50's so if it is still there, that car has been sitting on that pole for over 50 years.

6th&Yale.jpg

Yep the car is still there as well as the shop. I drive past it every now and again going to this paint shop that sells paint to all the paint and body shops in town. Its on yale past 6th street on the left just before the freeway. Alittle pricy but they can match up your paint using the paint code and put it in a spray can for touch up work.

What I hear though is that this auto shop does restorations as well. I never personally see their work but they have been listed as restoration shop in business listings ive looked at. I thought about them since I seen some high value cars in there stripped apart (think 1959 Caddy convertibles and 1964 - 67 GTO convertibles) but I will probably either have them or freedom paint and body do the bodywork and paint on mine.

New Car Dealers from July 1949 Southwestern Bell Greater Houston Telephone Directory

BUICK

Earl North Buick 2215 Milam

Higgenbotham Buick 7001 Harrisburg

CADILLAC

DB McDaniel Cadillac 1320 Milam

CHEVROLET

Bob Robertson Chevrolet 302 Broadway

Channel Chevrolet 302 Broadway

Dow Motor Company 710 Walker

Downtown Chevrolet 1400 McKinney

Knapp Chevrolet 815 Houston

Richardson Chevrolet 1418 Caroline

South Main Chevrolet 2300 Main

CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH

Abbott Stansel 1220 San Jacinto

AC Burton 1414 Milam

Bob Harris Motor Pasadena

Jess Allen 525 Broadway

CROSLEY

Fly and Harwood 2109 Milam

DESOTO PLYMOUTH

Avenue Motors 1605 Washington

Rosenstock Motors 1120 McKinney

Tony Martin 235 Broadway

DODGE PLYMOUTH

Bryant Motor 6501 Harrisburg

Burkett Motors 1121 McKinney

Jackson Motors 2404 Main

Kreiger Motors 1901 Milam

FORD

Earl McMillian Inc 800 Louisiana

Hargis Motor Co. 1601 Louisiana

Harris County Motor Co. 125 N Walters Pasadena

Ivy Russell Motor Co 2201 Main

Jack Roach 615 Broadway

Johnson Motor Co, 1700 N. Main

Raymond Pearson Inc. 1306 Caroline

FRAZER

South Texas Motor Co 2310 Main

Sterling Motors 816 W. Sterling Pasadena

HUDSON

Broadway Motor Co 402 Broadway

Washington Motors 3711 Washington

Welty Motor Co 1701 Milam

KAISER

J Robinson 6847 Harrisburg

South Texas Motor Co 2311 Main

Sterling Motors 816 W. Sterling Pasadena

LINCOLN MERCURY

Raymond Pearson Inc. 1320 Louisiana

MERCURY

Turbiville Motors 3535 Main

NASH

Thompson Nash Co 2120 Milam

Vance and Sons 1402 San Jacinto

OLDSMOBILE

Public Motors 1519 Main

Rountree Motors 1401 Travis

PACKARD

Meador Motor Co 1315 Milam

Southern Motor Co 1401 Travis

PLAYBOY

Denton and Thompson 2423 S. Wayside

Auto and Trailer Sales

PONTIAC

Lester Goodson Pontiac 1117 San Jacinto

Simpson Pontiac 1621 Milam

STUDEBAKER

Bill Lee Motors 7141 Lawndale

Mosehart And Keller 1103 San Jacinto

TUCKER

Texas Tucker Sales Commerce Building

WILLYS

Bonners Willys Motors 1616 Pease

WILLYS OVERLAND

Harrisburg Willys Overland 900 Broadway

O'Kelley Motor Co 4111 Main

Palmer Motor Co 2225 Washington

Back in the early 1960s, I remember hearing a commercial on the radio for Chuck Davis Chevrolet. Maybe someone who has access to a Yellow Pages book from back then can look it up and see where it was located.

Back in the early 1960s, I remember hearing a commercial on the radio for Chuck Davis Chevrolet. Maybe someone who has access to a Yellow Pages book from back then can look it up and see where it was located.

Dont know if their in the same location but Chuck Davis is still around. Did a search for "Chuck Davis Chevrolet Houston Texas 1960`s" to try and get a old address and found a recent listing.

Chuck Davis Chevrolet Incdocument.write('');

2277 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77001

Phone: (713) 794-2500

Edited by Rusty_S

Dont know if their in the same location but Chuck Davis is still around. Did a search for "Chuck Davis Chevrolet Houston Texas 1960`s" to try and get a old address and found a recent listing.

Chuck Davis Chevrolet Incdocument.write('');

2277 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77001

Phone: (713) 794-2500

Chuck Davis used to be on O.S.T. somewhere between Scott and 288. They moved to the S. Loop sometime in the 80s.

joe

Ah yes, Cal Worthington Chevrolet. He used to be the king of the bad commercial songs, right up there with that horrible Thunderbolt Engine commercial that they have been using for the past 30 years. That's no joke. 30 years, same commercial. If you don't believe it, really watch it sometime. You can still see the big Sears across Harrisburg from it, and that Sears has been gone for somewhere near a quarter of a century.

I can still here it now, (and sorry if you get this stuck in your head because of me) "If you want a car or truck, go see Cal. If you want to change your luck, go see Cal. If you want a car or truck, and you want to change your luck, if you need to save a buck, go see Cal." He was on the SW Fwy, but for the life of me can't remember exactly where.

Another couple of old dealerships not mentioned were the Hall brothers at 59 Eastex at...Saunders/Jensen? Mike Hall Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep/Eagle and Mort Hall Ford/Lincoln/Mercury. Both demo'ed and the land is now occupied by a Home Depot and strip center. Sam Montgomery Oldsmobile was at the North Fwy at Richey. The car lot is still there, at least all of the concrete is. The buildings are long gone, but the old Sam Montgomery sign remained for many years after it was gone. Tom Peacock, although now a Nissan/Cadillac Dealer was once at Katy Fwy. and Kirkwood. For many years it was Tom Peacock Chevrolet, until he spun it off to his son-in-law Mak Haik. Greenspoint and Northline Dodge, were two more. Greenspoint had been there since at least the 60's as my father's 1968 Plymouth (that I still have today) was purchased from Greenspoint, and had service done to it at Northline Dodge on several occasions. Greenspoint Dodge is now Spyker of Houston, Northline Dodge is now HCC's Mechanic School.

Edited by H8S 4 LIFE

Ah yes, Cal Worthington Chevrolet. He used to be the king of the bad commercial songs, right up there with that horrible Thunderbolt Engine commercial that they have been using for the past 30 years. That's no joke. 30 years, same commercial. If you don't believe it, really watch it sometime. You can still see the big Sears across Harrisburg from it, and that Sears has been gone for somewhere near a quarter of a century.

I can still here it now, (and sorry if you get this stuck in your head because of me) "If you want a car or truck, go see Cal. If you want to change your luck, go see Cal. If you want a car or truck, and you want to change your luck, if you need to save a buck, go see Cal." He was on the SW Fwy, but for the life of me can't remember exactly where.

Another couple of old dealerships not mentioned were the Hall brothers at 59 Eastex at...Saunders/Jensen? Mike Hall Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep/Eagle and Mort Hall Ford/Lincoln/Mercury. Both demo'ed and the land is now occupied by a Home Depot and strip center. Sam Montgomery Oldsmobile was at the North Fwy at Richey. The car lot is still there, at least all of the concrete is. The buildings are long gone, but the old Sam Montgomery sign remained for many years after it was gone. Tom Peacock, although now a Nissan/Cadillac Dealer was once at Katy Fwy. and Kirkwood. For many years it was Tom Peacock Chevrolet, until he spun it off to his son-in-law Mak Haik. Greenspoint and Northline Dodge, were two more. Greenspoint had been there since at least the 60's as my father's 1968 Plymouth (that I still have today) was purchased from Greenspoint, and had service done to it at Northline Dodge on several occasions. Greenspoint Dodge is now Spyker of Houston, Northline Dodge is now HCC's Mechanic School.

It wouldn't have been called "Greenspoint Dodge" back then, since the "Greenspoint" name wasn't in existence until the mall opened in the mid 70s.

Cal's dealerships on the west coast are still open.

Didn't they finally re-shoot the Thunderbolt commercial a few years ago?

Chuck Davis used to be on O.S.T. somewhere between Scott and 288. They moved to the S. Loop sometime in the 80s.

joe

Chuck Davis used to situated at the intersection of O.S.T and Tierwester with the rear of the dealership facing Dixie Dr.

I wouldnt know bout a reshoot of the Thunderbolt commercial but I do know that they got into trouble for dumping their waste into the sewer system. Was going to have them do my transmission work since they been around the longest but not after that. Just like I wouldnt have Joey`s Engine (now under its third name and third new ownership) anymore after they quoted me a price did unauthorized work lied bout it and then jacked the price up from $80 to $500.

This doesnt fall under dealers or repair shops but western auto is still around its under new name now they go by Advanced Auto Parts. They used to not even be in houston but they are respreading out. Built a building across the street from oreilly that i used to go to and started going there. They moved now and abandoned the building. Just my luck cause now I am stuck driving further for a part or deal with the idiotic loons at orelly, autozone, or napa. All of which belive the customer is never right.

But what about that Cypress dealership? I cant remember the name and I cant remember where I placed my orignal work orders but my 63 Chevrolet came from Cypress. Dont know the name or the address if I knew where the work forms were I would get the name and address. I know the dealerships been bulldozed down not that long ago.

Edited by Rusty_S

But what about that Cypress dealership? I cant remember the name and I cant remember where I placed my orignal work orders but my 63 Chevrolet came from Cypress. Dont know the name or the address if I knew where the work forms were I would get the name and address. I know the dealerships been bulldozed down not that long ago.

Wow, Rusty, how you jogged my memory. Though my uncle lived in Houston he always bought his Chevrolets from Lawrence Marshall in Hempstead. This was back when the Marshall store was only in Hempstead and had a showroom that would hold only about three cars. One time though, and it must have been in the mid-70s, he bought a new Chevrolet pickup truck from a dealership on US 290 near the high school (it was also much smaller then). Again, this dealership had a small showroom. I can not remember the name now to save myself but it was a person's name like Lawrence Marshall. I believe the first name was Doug though. Anybody out there remember better than I?

Don't forget Jimmy Greene Chevrolet at the southeast corner of Shepherd and Westheimer. I heard the owner got a pile of money when he sold that property.

I remember the Buick Dealership on Kirby. At one time it was Al Parker Buick which had its origins as Earl North Buick which had been on Milam (see houswest's post of 12/28/07). Al Parker relocated on the Katy Freeway, I think, and his general manager Hub Fossier, opened his dealership on Kirby before that one moved out to US 290.