Crave Restaurant And Lounge At 516 Westheimer Rd.

dbigtex56

There's a large (for this neighborhood) steel-framed building going up on the north side of Westheimer in the 500 block (approximately where the Happy Budda used to be).

Also, across the street a smaller building is going up in a former vacant lot (wedged between the strip center and the VA services building.)

Anyone know what businesses are going into these new buildings?

edit:

I'm also curious about the lot at Whitney and Westheimer (northeast corner). An old house was moved to this site a few years ago; for a while it was used as offices for a used car lot, then a short-lived nightclub called Da House.

I see everything above the first floor has been removed. Is it being moved again? Any idea what might go in its place?

• Like 1

500 Westheimer (the old Moroccan restaurant) is going to be a pizza place... Not sure where I heard that, might've even been on this site!?

The new steel framed building, not sure about that, but it will probably be one of the following: a nail place, a dry cleaners or a cell phone reseller

On another Westheimer new construction note, the space in-between the old Eckerds and the Spec's (I think it used to be a cleaners) is going to be an Asian restaurant. I saw the permits on the window, can't remember the name of the place.

I'm also curious about the lot at Whitney and Westheimer (northeast corner). An old house was moved to this site a few years ago...I see everything above the first floor has been removed. Is it being moved again? Any idea what might go in its place?

Da House burned, they removed the roof so it could be moved, it was moved about a week ago. No idea what's going there now.

Edited by groovehouse

• 3 months later...
Dolce Vita reviews are up on b4-u-eat.com Looks like pretty good reviews so far, a few of the usual detractors that expect free shoe shines and manicures while they eat at a pizza joint.

Pizza Joint? Hardly...

Late Night Pie, Star Pizza, those are pizza joints. Dolce Vita is high end pizza restaurant. Valet parking for a pizza joint? I think not. I hate to say it but it's so shee-shee that I'm probably priced out of eating there. Valet parking? C'mon... pizza's are probably $30 at that place.

Pizza Joint? Hardly...

Late Night Pie, Star Pizza, those are pizza joints. Dolce Vita is high end pizza restaurant. Valet parking for a pizza joint? I think not. I hate to say it but it's so shee-shee that I'm probably priced out of eating there. Valet parking? C'mon... pizza's are probably $30 at that place.

I can hear P. T. Barnum laughing in his grave.

Pizza Joint? Hardly...

Well put.

• Like 1

Pizza Joint? Hardly...

They have to do valet because there is basically no parking in the area... The food is reasonable. Owned by Marco Wiles (same guy as Da Marco's) Dolce Vita is meant to be a more casual place. They have pasta for $10 and pizza for not much more (yes, they're small). I spent $40 for two (no alcohol) and was pretty full. Before you slam a restaurant, give it a try.

Some more of my thoughts on Da Marco's and Dolce Vita.

• Like 1

• 13 years later...
  • 2 years later...

JFE Franchising, the company behind  Snow Fox sushi & the Korean dumpling restaurant that opened last year on Westheimer, Pling, purchased the former Dolce Vita property last year. I sent this news to Eater Houston, but the news outlet decided not to follow up and report the news to their readers, unlike their sister sites ( Eater LA, Eater SF, Eater NY) which report things like this.

Plans for the building included an izakaya, according to DBA and permitting records prior to Covid. I don't know if it's still moving forward or not.

• Like 2

I couldn't find a thread for the property that previously housed Indika at 516 Westheimer in Montrose. If there is one, please move or merge with the existing thread.

Before the Loopnet listing for 516 Westheimer was removed a few weeks ago, there was an update in early August regarding the status of the property. The listing was updated as under contract before the listing was removed a week or so later. So, it seems there is a new business leasing the property.

I think the new business is Hide & Seek. A Google Map listing for Hide & Seek was created sometime this month. An entity was filed last year. There is no website or Facebook page for Hide & Seek, but there is an Instagram account for the business at @hideandseekhtx.

Their Instagram categorizes Hide & Seek as a restaurant. It could be. Or it's possible this could be a restaurant and lounge, similar to Thirteen, Parma, Lost & Found, Lamp, Bisou, and Kiss.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I sent this news to Eater Houston, but the news outlet decided not to follow up and report the news to their readers, unlike their sister sites ( Eater LA, Eater SF, Eater NY) which report things like this.

Hey @CrockpotandGravelwelcome back! Missed your snideness and pedantry. It’s going to take a bit to get used to the new name though.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I couldn't find a thread for the property that previously housed Indika at 516 Westheimer in Montrose. If there is one, please move or merge with the existing thread.

Before the Loopnet listing for 516 Westheimer was removed a few weeks ago, there was an update in early August regarding the status of the property. The listing was updated as under contract before the listing was removed a week or so later. So, it seems there is a new business leasing the property.

I think the new business is Hide & Seek. A Google Map listing for Hide & Seek was created sometime this month. An entity was filed last year. There is no website or Facebook page for Hide & Seek, but there is an Instagram account for the business at @hideandseekhtx.

Their Instagram categorizes Hide & Seek as a restaurant. It could be. Or it's possible this could be a restaurant and lounge, similar to Thirteen, Parma, Lost & Found, Lamp, Bisou, and Kiss.

Instead of Hide & Seek, the name of the business at 516 Westheimer Rd is Whisper. The space was last occupied by Indika.

Whisper is going to operate as a restaurant and also double as a  lounge, possibly a hookah lounge. I'm assuming the target audience is the same demographic James Harden's Thirteen, Kamp, and Parma aim for.

I don't know how to embed Instagram photos and videos to this forum, but for anyone interested, one of the owners shared visuals of the renovation progress on their page.

https://instagram.com/p/CJycmuaFLkg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ_2JbGlKH6/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I remembered there were posts in this thread about Dolce Vita at 500 Westheimer. I suppose those posts were removed? Regardless, a HAIF member shared news of what may be in store for 500 Westheimer.

Here is the quoted post in case moderators don't merge the thread (being that it's regarding the same property, I think).

On 11/9/2021 at 4:25 PM, trymahjong said:

I was walking by and asked some workers, who was move to the Dolce Vita location at Westheimer and Whitney- Surprise, Osaka is moving in from down the street!

"I was walking by and asked some workers, who was move to the Dolce Vita location at 500 Westheimer (Westheimer and Whitney)- Surprise, Osaka Japanese Restaurant is moving in from down the street!"

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Instead of Hide & Seek, the name of the business at 516 Westheimer Rd is Whisper. The space was last occupied by Indika.

Whisper is going to operate as a restaurant and also double as a  lounge, possibly a hookah lounge. I'm assuming the target audience is the same demographic James Harden's Thirteen, Kamp, and Parma aim for.

I don't know how to embed Instagram photos and videos to this forum, but for anyone interested, one of the owners shared visuals of the renovation progress on their page.

https://instagram.com/p/CJycmuaFLkg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ_2JbGlKH6/

The name of the business renovating the former Indika restaurant at 516 Westheimer Rd has changed its name again.

The new name is Black Orchid. But the concept is the same: restaurant and club/lounge. Someone involved with this claims the restaurant will serve Continental cuisine.

I'm more interested in seeing the renovations once completed.

• Like 3