Uptown Skyline Update

nah i think that was just a conceptual rendering of what could be done with the site. its called The Perennial, right next to 2200 Post Oak (BBVAs
building)

no idea if/when its supposed to start though so it may not be finished by 2017. (its the tower on the right, BBVA is on the left)
PostOak2.jpg

What building is this? It's huge. Did it get cancelled or is it still proposed?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28426-uptown-park-converting-to-high-density-mixed-use/

here is a link to the thread. unfortunately it seemed to be just a conceptual idea for what could be built there, not whats actually being built. i believe they will sell the land next year and then its up to the new owners how they want to develop it? it was a neat looking tower though.. hopefully whatever they come up with makes a decent impact on the skyline.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff from BisNow's Future of Uptown:

Uptown Houston District CEO John Breeding (speaking to our 350 attendees) says development is booming in his submarket across all property types. Residential is the bulk of construction, with over 20 multifamily high-rises in the works. There are eight hotels in discussion that would add 2,000 rooms, with four planning to break ground next year. (It's a good time to be in the mini soap business.) There's 2M SF of office development in the pipeline. TxDOT is reconstructing the 59/610 interchange starting in 2017 and ending 2021, and John says his district's $190M mass transit plan is more than just transportation improvement; it'll remake Uptown. Fun fact: Uptown is the 14th-largest business district in the country.

• Like 2

Interesting stuff from BisNow's Future of Uptown:

Uptown Houston District CEO John Breeding (speaking to our 350 attendees) says development is booming in his submarket across all property types. Residential is the bulk of construction, with over 20 multifamily high-rises in the works. There are eight hotels in discussion that would add 2,000 rooms, with four planning to break ground next year. (It's a good time to be in the mini soap business.) There's 2M SF of office development in the pipeline. TxDOT is reconstructing the 59/610 interchange starting in 2017 and ending 2021, and John says his district's $190M mass transit plan is more than just transportation improvement; it'll remake Uptown. Fun fact: Uptown is the 14th-largest business district in the country.

Wow.  Then that would be around 28 highrises in either residential and hospitality + 4 or so office highrises. Sounds like a boom for sure.  But I doubt more than 6-8 of those residential towers get built (if that many).

And egads... 4-5 years of construction on the recently reworked interchange by TxDot?!  See... you people who want new freeway work don't see the neverending madness that is TxDot and its horribly lengthy construction time frame.

And only 190 million for transit, I wonder what we will get for that small amount of money?

Just did a quick count off of Bing.  Looks like there is somewhere between 79-90 highrises inside the "Uptown" area.  I missed a few (I know) but only counted 10+ floor buildings.  So that's about 1/3 (like you said) which is a huge growth in the whole area!

• Like 1

And egads... 4-5 years of construction on the recently reworked interchange by TxDot?!  See... you people who want new freeway work don't see the neverending madness that is TxDot and its horribly lengthy construction time frame.

My understanding is that TxDot works on a pay-as-you-go system so that it doen't have to take on debt.

I thought they only get bids from General Contractors and select the lowest bid (probably also the slowest), and the contractor plays the old game of "Change Orders for a Fool" and submits change order after change order until they make more money than originally quoted [but maybe I'm mistaken?  This may be only what happens to the City of Houston?].

Hopefully the length of time wil be because they will work on only 1 segment at a time (and not the whole enchilada)

I fully understand and support their reasoning on this, but it does suck that projects seem to go on forever.  I was on 35 south of Waco last month and it was under construction.  Seems like that segment of I35 from Waco to Austin has been under construction ever since at least the mid-80's.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fully understand and support support Man Enhanced and their reasoning on this, but it does suck that projects seem to go on forever.  I was on 35 south of Waco last month and it was under construction.  Seems like that segment of I35 from Waco to Austin has been under construction ever since at least the mid-80's.

I like the reflection of the office lights in the window .. It looks like they're floating above the city.

Edited by Manwaring
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Uptown District Skyline Update
On 11/29/2019 at 9:01 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

Went to the Uptown lighting ceremony last night. The lights and fireworks were spectacular. Santa showed up.

amen to that!!!!!!!!!! the fireworks lasted foreeeeeeeeveeeeeeer!!!! It was so awesome! and the new tree light show was great too! loved it so much and made me so proud as well as happy to see my area looking it's best and entertaining so many happy people...especially all the families with kids that were there! AND on top of that I went to watch some friends at the finish line of the Turkey Trot that morning and quite a few people were talking about how great it was and how they loved the new look of Post Oak Blvd (where the finish line was)...such a fun day in Uptown Houston! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, gene said:

amen to that!!!!!!!!!! the fireworks lasted foreeeeeeeeveeeeeeer!!!! It was so awesome! and the new tree light show was great too! loved it so much and made me so proud as well as happy to see my area looking it's best and entertaining so many happy people...especially all the families with kids that were there! AND on top of that I went to watch some friends at the finish line of the Turkey Trot that morning and quite a few people were talking about how great it was and how they loved the new look of Post Oak Blvd (where the finish line was)...such a fun day in Uptown Houston! 

Just wait until they eventually redevelop those strip centers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1