Who Will Be Houston's Next Mayor?

citykid09

The Richmond Strip was voted the #1 place in Houston to get a cap in your helmet.

DJ, did you live here when all the Central Americans were shooting each other up and down the strip?

actually I was. I was also there when Richmond was starting to make national news as a possible new party place in America (from the Rockets championships to the end of the 90's)

I'm sure the property owners around Richmond strip are thrilled that it's finally dead. Bill White didn't kill Richmond.

Also if alcohol is not being sold in "after hours" bars, then they have changed since I used to go to them.

Houston belongs to the businessman, not to the Spring Breaker. This is our angle and always will be. Frankly, I prefer it this way, and think it's a much better recipe for success than trying to be a destination city. That doesn't mean Houston has no nightlife. If you can't find it, then you're simply not looking. If all you want in life is to pary until 4 AM, then move to NO. I bet you can find some cheap housing and a quick job.

I'm a staunch conservative, and have been extremely impressed with Bill White. Maybe becuase our last mayor was so bad. I would never run for a local politcal office. It seems like nobody is ever happy.

Houston belongs to the businessman, not to the Spring Breaker. This is our angle and always will be. Frankly, I prefer it this way, and think it's a much better recipe for success than trying to be a destination city.

Why can't Houston be a businessman's town, AND a tourist destination? There are a LOT of cities that work for both ends.

• 3 weeks later...
Bill White for 3 terms then Annise Parker....you heard it here first!

I hope you're right. Ms Parker is honest, hardworking, dedicated, smart as a whip and a born leader.

None of these things will matter to the Prop 2 supporters. <_<

I hope you're right. Ms Parker is honest, hardworking, dedicated, smart as a whip and a born leader.

None of these things will matter to the Prop 2 supporters. <_<

I agree dbigtex. Annise is one smart lady. I hold out hope that she could survive another far right wing attack like we saw with Prop 2-but I wouldn't be surprised if they succeed.

B)

• 1 year later...
Who Will Be Houston's Next Mayor?

Is Bill White Guaranteed a Win?

Who else is running?

Do you guys think he has done a good job so far?quote]

What a cheap political advertisement. Is White doing a good job and then posting a web address. YUCK.

White is out, out, out. White out.

The fact that he calls Houston a "Sanctuary City" and allows illegal aliens safe haven is reason enough to vote him out of office. Any elected official who is unable or unwilling to uphold the laws of the United States and REFUSES to protect us from undocumented foreign nationals should not be holding office.

Any office. Not dog catcher, not mayor. White has got to go.

What a cheap political advertisement. Is White doing a good job and then posting a web address. YUCK.

White is out, out, out. White out.

The fact that he calls Houston a "Sanctuary City" and allows illegal aliens safe haven is reason enough to vote him out of office. Any elected official who is unable or unwilling to uphold the laws of the United States and REFUSES to protect us from undocumented foreign nationals should not be holding office.

Any office. Not dog catcher, not mayor. White has got to go.

You're new here, aren't you?

I'm sorry, but I don't recall him ever calling this a sanctuary city. We've had this debate before as far as illegals go and there are others here far more eloquent than I to be able to pick up THAT banner, so I'll let it pass.

Now that you got that out of your system, perhaps YOU have a suggestion as to who and/or why they would make a good mayor?

Personally, I like MAYOR White. He's done quite a bit considering the legacy he had to clean up from and unlike other mayors from our past; he seems willing to tackle things head on, even if the solutions aren't very popular.

Personally, I like MAYOR White. He's done quite a bit considering the legacy he had to clean up from and unlike other mayors from our past; he seems willing to tackle things head on, even if the solutions aren't very popular.

I like White too. He seems even-handed, level-headed, and pretty progressive ... and though he's a very wealthy man, he doesn't forget that not everyone is.

I don't know who else would be running, but my vote right now would be for his continued leadership.

1. This is off topic.

2. I do not consider newsbyus.com, nor this article, to be a reliable source. By the way, I have no way of knowing if Hamilton is really speaking of inner city Houston or if he is simply regurgitating unfounded political statements.

donationto-rnc-cr-2.jpg

Their Own Stories: Ethnic Cleansing of Americans

By Frosty Wooldridge on Jul 30, 07

Last week, the column on Americans being

1. This is off topic.

2. I do not consider newsbyus.com, nor this article, to be a reliable source. By the way, I have no way of knowing if Hamilton is really speaking of inner city Houston or if he is simply regurgitating unfounded political statements.

It's on topic.

There's approximately 40 million illegal foreign nationals in the United States and Mayor White has been a part of the problem that encourages them to remain on American soil.

As for alleged "unfounded political statements", do you not live in Houston? Please visit. You'll see his statements were right on the money and completely founded. The invasion of illegal aliens undermines American values, language and excellence. Mayor White for all his down home 'ah shucks' persona has failed to make Houston a safe city much less one that is an environment for investment.

Why does Houston continue to deteriorate? Mayor White is one reason.

Okay, first, this topic is about who will become the next mayor of Houston, not an in-depth discussion about illegal immigration. There are threads that discuss illegal immigration, and if you wish to continue this, you are welcome to post a reply in one of them. To find them, use the "search" feature.

It's on topic.

There's approximately 40 million illegal foreign nationals in the United States and Mayor White has been a part of the problem that encourages them to remain on American soil.

As for alleged "unfounded political statements", do you not live in Houston? Please visit. You'll see his statements were right on the money and completely founded. The invasion of illegal aliens undermines American values, language and excellence. Mayor White for all his down home 'ah shucks' persona has failed to make Houston a safe city much less one that is an environment for investment.

Why does Houston continue to deteriorate? Mayor White is one reason.

I still like what Bill has done with the city, he has just had a couple of HICCUPS in his tenure. I just feel like some kind of skeleton is gonna come out about him, that will shake his foundation, and he will have to go away. I hope I am wrong, even though he isn't my party, I think he has represented Houston VERY WELL thus far. Now he just needs to fire our do nothing, Second Top Cop, Cheif Hurtt.

Bill White has done more for Houston than any mayor since 1980. I can't speak for those before, cause I wasn't here. Although, form what I understand those in the 60-70's were just good old boy political machine types.

Jim McConn - Good old boy politico

Kathy Twitmayor - didn't get much done

Bob Lanier - Catered to his developer cronies

Out-o-town Brown - Need I say more?

i'm sure you'll get a few responses. ;)

That's why I posted it. Besides, "doing more" is relative. The others pretty much did nothing, so doing more is not so difficult. Still, I think he has been better than any of the others lately.

I remember seeing a while back that Bill King is really looking at running for mayor. It was part of a Chron article a while back that also mentioned Rodney Ellis and Sheila Jackson Lee as possibilities among others that I can't remember right now.

1. This is off topic.

It's my topic and I can say whatever the hell I want to say in it! :P You must be one of the illegals to get so offensive about it.

I remember seeing a while back that Bill King is really looking at running for mayor. It was part of a Chron article a while back that also mentioned Rodney Ellis and Sheila Jackson Lee as possibilities among others that I can't remember right now.

Sheila Jackson Lee? - God help us all

with all the new red light cameras, i'm sure she'll be clamorin' for more camera time.

I am sure that she was involved in getting those things put up all over town. I just don't want to be between her and a camera.

I don't think Bill King plans to challenge Bill White...as I remember hearing, he plans to run once White is term-limited.

Anybody know much about Bill King, or have opinions they'd like to share?

I don't know too much about him, other than he's former mayor of Kemah, former TSU regent, and was on the governor's Hurricane Task Force. Whether he was good/bad/neither at those positions, I'm clueless.

Archived