Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Houston Chronicle's series on traffic and roadways in Houston

Houston Chronicle published the first in a series of reports and analysis on Houston's traffic and roadways.

The first report highlights Houston's roads and drivers as the country's most deadliest.

It's a long form report, but it's interesting.

Out of Control Houston’s roads, drivers are country’s most deadly
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/article/Houston-s-roads-drivers-are-nation-s-most-12865072.php

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

I enjoyed this article as well. Although not mentioned, Texas frontage roads, with all their commercial activity, undoubtedly help place Dallas and Houston on the top of the list. 

It also doesn't help that damn near every light in this city forces cars to yield to traffic but most of those drivers fail to yield to pedestrians too. Look at the Taylor/Spring Street crossing. I'm just waiting for someone to get hit crossing the trail. I filed a complaint to the city. 

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It also doesn't help that damn near every light in this city forces cars to yield to traffic but most of those drivers fail to yield to pedestrians too. Look at the Taylor/Spring Street crossing. I'm just waiting for someone to get hit crossing the trail. I filed a complaint to the city. 

Texas transportation code:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/TN/htm/TN.552.htm

Sec. 552.003. PEDESTRIAN RIGHT-OF-WAY AT CROSSWALK. (a) The operator of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing a roadway in a crosswalk if:

(1) no traffic control signal is in place or in operation; and

(2) the pedestrian is:

(A) on the half of the roadway in which the vehicle is traveling; or

(B) approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

Now, that's the law, but people obviously do not follow it, and the city, state and other governing body needs to take more steps to warn drivers that they need to yield, it's not the other way around in crosswalks.

In European countries, pedestrians are so comfortable in crosswalks (they are very well marked also) that cars will yield, pedestrians don't even really look, and as a driver you better be watching cause you will go to jail if you hit a pedestrian, once you get out of jail, you will not be able to ever drive a car again.

14 hours ago, samagon said:

In European countries, pedestrians are so comfortable in crosswalks (they are very well marked also) that cars will yield, pedestrians don't even really look, and as a driver you better be watching cause you will go to jail if you hit a pedestrian, once you get out of jail, you will not be able to ever drive a car again.

Who else remembers drivng down Westheimer, circa 2009 or so?

These people would jaywalk across the steet like ther name was goddamn Westh. E. Timer or something.

You slow down, of course, unless you are arbitrarily homicidal.

But now they have cars, I guess? And they are running the fu*king lights.

Watch the intersection of Westheimer and Rogerdale for half an hour at dusk or nightfall.

One time I was going south on Rogerdale to my apartment, at that intersection. The light was red, and so I was changing the radio station or something.

I looked up, and the light was green. Then I looked left.

Some piece of worse than human shit blows through the light. Who the F_CK knows who they actually killed that night.

I shouldn't have my life just because I didn't care for what Mix 96.5 was playing.

To be far, this has also happened to me in the county (unincorporated areas) a few times. But far more often in the city.

The worst would be tow truck drivers. How many handjobs do they give to the state? I reported one tow truck driver to the city and state. I had a MOTHER F_U_C_K_I_N_G dash cam video of them blowing through a 4 way stop, after I had just barely started to go through. I made an abrupt left (safely) to obtain their information. Everything was on video - it was absolutely the same tow truck piece of shit, continuously.

The city never replied, and the state bascally told me to go thousand dollars myself.

Accordng to the "Great" State of Texas, and the City of Houston, we can all go F_CKING die.

Edit: You censored the post, so I made the expletives worse, but added underscores to them. Either you are on the side of people who want to live or people who are forced to die. Do not fault me because I am passionate about the subject.

Edited by MikeRichardson

On 9/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah it's especially bad in Houston because all of the commercial development is so heavily concentrated to the feeders. Traffic is flying by at 55+ with heavy volume while people attempt to turn out (or into) a bunch of randomly placed driveways. There usually aren't any dedicated turn lanes either. Worse is when folks to try make it to the far left feeder road lane to get onto the freeway. They're okay but less commercial development and freeway entrances/exits should have been placed along them.

It seems like they manipulated the numbers to come up with a preferred result (the Chron loves to dis Houston).  The headline suggests that Houston has the highest per capita traffic deaths. Unfortunately, that is the one number I don't think they ever show us. While the breakdowns of causes of deaths are interesting (and important for coming up with solutions), for the purpose of coming up with the title of "most dangerous city", I don't see the relevance of the distinction between death on bicycle, death caused by impaired drivers or whatever. 

8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

(the Chron loves to dis Houston).

Not trying to be sarcastic but they do?

The report by the Chronicle is close to being an opinion piece. The next "report" will no doubt push public transit solutions. But the big picture is accurate. There are more deaths on Houston roads compared to other big cities.

The solution is more enforcement of traffic laws. Unfortunately local voters have tied their own hands. Rightly or wrongly the voters in the city decided to remove the traffic enforcement cameras. Fair enough, we're in a democracy. However, police enforcement recourses have consequently thinned out. Normally, the Texas legislature should be providing reinforcements for Houston and Dallas, unfortunately Austin has bigger problems right now. The bulk of new DPS hires have been deployed to protect the border, because well, we lack a wall and the border is a public safety issue for the entire state. 

3 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

The report by the Chronicle is close to being an opinion piece. The next "report" will no doubt push public transit solutions. But the big picture is accurate. There are more deaths on Houston roads compared to other big cities. 

Can you provide a link or other reference to a source showing our comparative rate of motor vehicle deaths?

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Can you provide a link or other reference to a source showing our comparative rate of motor vehicle deaths?

Yeah, the CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report will break it down by metro sometimes. This link is from 2009. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6128a2.htm

NYC metro and LA metro have higher deaths, but Houston is right behind them, while only being a fraction of the size (population). 

21 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Yeah, the CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report will break it down by metro sometimes. This link is from 2009. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6128a2.htm

NYC metro and LA metro have higher deaths, but Houston is right behind them, while only being a fraction of the size (population). 

Yeah, that's why you really need to look at rates, not just the number of deaths.  Thanks for the link.  I had run across those but was hoping to find something a little more recent.  Those 2009 numbers put the Houston metro area tied for the 6th-worst rate of motor vehicle deaths among the 50 largest metro areas in the U.S.  Not the highest rate of deaths, but nothing to be happy about.

WSJ  has a report today about auto-bicycle deaths amongst the largest US metros. Apparently the deadliest metro for bicyclists is Tampa-St. Pete. The state of Florida in general seems to be extremely dangerous for bicyclists. Houston didn't make the list, of the top ten most deadliest metros:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-most-dangerous-place-to-bicycle-in-america-1537867800

Edited by 102IAHexpress

different article from earlier this year says Houston is in the top 10.

https://abc13.com/society/houston-named-one-of-the-most-dangerous-cities-for-cyclists-/3778298/

the study was done, and posted here:

https://www.yourlocalsecurity.com/blog/2018/07/03/safest-cities-america-cyclists/

interestingly, they don't even list Tampa in their article.

I don't have access to read the WSJ story, maybe you can link their source and how they scored things?

here's how the place I linked weighed things:

Methodology

To determine the safest and least safe US cities for bikers, we gathered metrics and data from Census.gov, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, People for Bikes, and The League of American Bicyclists to find the percentage of bike commuters, number of fatal crashes, amount of bike lanes, and what bike laws are in place or in the works in each city. Cities were included if these sources had data for them.

Each metric was then added together with the following weight based on a 100-point scale:

• Bike commuter: x3
  • Fatal crashes: x6
  • Protected bike lanes: x1
  • Proposed protected bike lanes: x.5
  • Complete street law: x1
  • Safe passing law: x1
  • Statewide bike plan: x1
  • Bike safety emphasis area: x1
  • Spending per capita: x1

Finally, the total 790 cities were ranked based on their overall score.