Another True Story

ricco67

While on a call to a fairly remote area, I came onto a piece of private property where I went to this trailer located in the middle of this modest lot.

You know it's coming don't you?

I knocked on the door and waited for them to answer. Apparently they love to get up at the crack of noon. While I waited outside and kept the cats company, I noticed a large wire thingie about 6 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter.

On casual inspection, it looked like chicken wire.

I waited. I was bored.

I looked at the cage (for the lack of a better term). I noticed that there was a couple of UV lights inside the cage. Off to one side, I noticed a couple of lawnchairs with an empty (but obviously often used) cooler in the middle.

I waited.

I then noticed there were wires leading from the trailer, which I initially thought led to the UV light...but turns out they lead to the CAGE!

I got curious.

I noticed the design where there was little space between the wires and that it was actually covered several times over.

THen I noticed something I should have seen before: Dead bugs.

LOTS of dead bugs.

Basically, I came to the horrific realization that this was a 6ft tall, home-made bug zapper and they obviously considered this entertainment (along with their above ground pool). I burst out laughing.

I got a puzzled look when they FINALLY came to the door, I merely mentioned I was laughing at a kitten and let the matter drop.

I laughed all the way back to Houston. Oh good lord, some of these people amaze me!

Ricco

• The title was changed to Another True Story

Archived