Older Galleria Area Apartments Sold

Guest danax

Link to Bizjournal article.

Symbolic of the complete "changing of the guard" development-wise in that area. These old tropic-themed apartments were very popular in the 50s-60s but this one is obviously nothing but an odd relic at this point.

As ratty as it now is, I just love that place - I have a real soft spot for commercial architecture of the period.

Wonder if the inside is anything special ...

Since everyone else around Uptown is becoming more ped friendly how bout we do the most innovative project in a mall's history. Making the whole Galleria ped friendly piece by piece. I say it could be done in 3 years start to finish. :D

You all do know that they are getting rid of Regency Arms right and turning it to mixed use?

Good news,

Is that the old 50s or 60s still apartments on McCue?

That's some prime real estate that can be made better use of.

Obviously you're not appreciative of the symbolic architectural value of these properties ...

Marquee Apartments (2525 McCue) are still in great shape. I lived there from 98-2001 and loved every minute of it. Inside and out, they are a great example of Googie, with the folded plate roofline and patterned brick screens, lava rock, etc. Very original, too.

GoAtomic! I lived there too! I loved it! I lived at 2525 and also at Marquee West. I loved my apartments in both places they were AWESOME! I loved the pool at 2525 and lived right above it. Talk about awesome, I paid NOTHING for that place and lived the high life by the Galleria.

What is to preserve?

So someone infused a little polynesia with some palm trees. Hardly an architectural accomplishment.

Some things aren't worth saving. A small historical cottage in the Heights or a Mod house in Westbury i can see being saved; but in a fast paced commercial area like Uptown, I can't see saving these apartments.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, GoAtomic and Subdude... I've always liked those Bali Hai apartments and am sorry to see them go. It was only a matter of time though.

The Marquee apartments are in better shape and will hopefully be around longer.

• 3 weeks later...
Good news,

Is that the old 50s or 60s still apartments on McCue?

That's some prime real estate that can be made better use of.

I remember visting Mr. & Mrs. McCue with my parnets as a child. Mrs. McCue (in think her maiden name was Santa Maria) was the cafeteria manager at St. Micheals Catholic School during the 50's and early 60's. They sold their home and property on McCue St. in the early 60's to developers. Those apartments you refer to are probably were their house once stood.

Well, architecture worth saving is a matter of opinion. Googie or tiki styles have always been a tough sell for preservation, but I think in a few years historians will wish more examples had been saved.

There are still PLENTY in Los Angeles

What is to preserve?

So someone infused a little polynesia with some palm trees. Hardly an architectural accomplishment.

Some things aren't worth saving. A small historical cottage in the Heights or a Mod house in Westbury i can see being saved; but in a fast paced commercial area like Uptown, I can't see saving these apartments.

I remember a polynesian restaurant on the corner of Westheimer and Sage Rd. in the 60's were the JW Marriott now stands. It had a fountain out front with flames lit from below the water. Valet drivers wearing red vests would meet as you drove in. But yeah I guess you are right, the property was better suited for other purposes as the years went on.

I remember a polynesian restaurant on the corner of Westheimer and Sage Rd. in the 60's were the JW Marriott now stands. It had a fountain out front with flames lit from below the water. Valet drivers wearing red vests would meet as you drove in. But yeah I guess you are right, the property was better suited for other purposes as the years went on.

Was that the Poly-Asian West restaurant? See also this topic.

GoAtomic! I lived there too! I loved it! I lived at 2525 and also at Marquee West. I loved my apartments in both places they were AWESOME! I loved the pool at 2525 and lived right above it. Talk about awesome, I paid NOTHING for that place and lived the high life by the Galleria.

HEE-Hee, we were neighbors, I lived at 2323 McCue, a small complex like a Melrose Place, about 20 units or so. I lived there from 1993-1995 or 96. If any of you remember the club Kaboom on Richmond. Just about everyone that worked there lived in those apartments, even the owners. Wild wild nights. :blush: >:):blush:

You're kidding - I lived in the unit at 2525 right above the breezeway by the pool - 246 I think - the only floor plan like it in the place. It was like a small house, 900 sf or so.

And the price can't be beat. Last time I checked a year or two ago, they were still charging $700 ALL BILLS PAID for a 1 br. What a steal !

I love the architecture of the place, the lava rock fountain and the two story glass entry, plus with that unit had my own 30x30 patio to the sky. It's the neatest place I've ever lived, and it was SO original.

Did you know that originally, the front door had an electric latch, and every person that wanted in had to be buzzed in by the Manager? Every unit had an intercome system where she would check with the tenant before allowing access.

No! I did not know that--intercoms! how cool!! I was in the center, at the back, above the pool, to the right of the staircase. #225 I think it was. Back then (97?) it was $600 I think, all bills paid. $700 is still WAY awesome. That and my car payment with insurance were pretty much my only expenses and I was SET for life there! OMG! I miss Sundays there, having a cocktail by the pool after brunch at LaStrada. Those were the days!!!!! :D

I always felt like it wasn't Houston whenever I walked through the sliding glass door by the coke machine--I felt like I was in Miami! Nothing like looking around and seeing the buildings of the Galleria area from my back balcony!

Great neighbors, too. It was like everyone knew the secret! B)

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like something is happening at the BALI HA'I but it is too soon to say there is hope for its future. It seems (at 40 MPH) that the siding around the windows on the south wall has been removed and new windows have been installed. The pool area seemed different too and there were young, fashionable people in new cars hanging around out front. Could it be that our last Polynesian paradise may survive?

"Bali Ha'i may call you, any night, any day.

In your heart you hear it call,

come away,

come away.

Bali Ha'i will wisper, on the wind, on the sea,

here am I, your special island,

come to me,

come to me.

Your own special hopes, your own special dreams,

loom on the hillside and shine in the stream.

If you try, you will find me, where the sky meets the sea,

here am I, your special island,

come to me,

come to me."

Rogers & Hammerstein's South Pacific

• 3 weeks later...

I too find it sad to see these go.

They don't fit in with current development/potential in the area, but they do reflect a glimpse of what was popular during their time in history.

It would be nice to see the property saved as an updated "quirky"/historical view of the past.

For example, I would think a polynesian themed boutique hotel (with mid-century american influences and current updates) would do great in that location.

• 5 months later...

Good news and bad news.

The good news, that Bali Ha'i is NOT being torn down, rather renovated. They even built a new entrance guard shack from what I can see.

The bad news, the article in the HBJ specifically said that they were going to tear it down and build something to take advatage of the prime location the land sits on. So they must have cut corners.

They are doing the gentrification style renovation with a stucco coating on the wall.

Archived