Jump to content
samagon

Electric Scooters Sharing

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, samagon said:

 

just so I understand clearly, you're holding Lime responsible for how Chris Matthews of Houston Business Journal used one of their scooters when he rented it?

As wilcal said, the Lime rep rode the scooter from the Galleria area to downtown. Matthews's tweet:

 

" I rode the lone operating Lime scooter in Houston yesterday. Lime scooter rep rode it from the Galleria down the Buffalo Bayou trail to his downtown hotel during rush hour. Would you use these scooters instead of driving your car around Houston? "

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this scooter sharing program in Austin this past weekend and that thing is a disaster waiting to happen. I almost hit 3 different people who were swerving through traffic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I saw this scooter sharing program in Austin this past weekend and that thing is a disaster waiting to happen. I almost hit 3 different people who were swerving through traffic. 

I haven't seen them in practice yet... but curious how are they different from bikes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, brian0123 said:

I haven't seen them in practice yet... but curious how are they different from bikes?

It's not so much the method of transportation as much as how people were carelessly weaving through traffic as if every driver would notice and not hit them. It also seemed like a huge fad but it was interesting to see people use them because you could literally drop it off along the sidewalk and it looked to be an efficient mode of transit for getting across the city quickly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the scooters at least once a week in Austin, though I prefer the ebikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, brian0123 said:

I haven't seen them in practice yet... but curious how are they different from bikes?

 

Scooters are cheaper and lighter, so more can be deployed in a dockless rental type scenario.

 

Additionally, I think the scooters have a lower barrier to entry - you can just step on one and go, while a bike you mount/dismount.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

biggest difference is you don't get sweaty taking a scooter 1-2 miles.  source: we own both bikes and scooters and our decision on which to take is based almost completely on if we can be sweaty where we're ending up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's not so much the method of transportation as much as how people were carelessly weaving through traffic as if every driver would notice and not hit them. It also seemed like a huge fad but it was interesting to see people use them because you could literally drop it off along the sidewalk and it looked to be an efficient mode of transit for getting across the city quickly. 

That was my observation this March when I was up in Austin as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ADCS said:

I use the scooters at least once a week in Austin, though I prefer the ebikes.

 

Houston BCycle just announced an ebike pilot program for June and July.

 

Only 4 bikes though 😕

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 4:36 PM, wilcal said:

 

Houston BCycle just announced an ebike pilot program for June and July.

 

Only 4 bikes though 😕

 

 

 

 

BCycle has still not launched their pilot program. They told me that they are putting a more rigorous GPS tracking system on the bikes.

 

2 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

 

Chicago starts its pilot electric scooter program this week. After watching this news story I'm not sure I want them up here.

https://abc7chicago.com/technology/electric-scooter-pilot-program-begins-in-chicago-brings-safety-concerns/5336909/

 

 

More and more I think that the actual end solution will be the sit-down styled electric bikes. 

 

They look like this:

 

Wheels-PR-1-1200x815.jpg

 

They're much more stable/better for older folks/etc. Would love to have them here. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup, electric bike/mopeds are probably the ultimate solution for this kind of mobility.

 

they have bigger wheels, which are better for roads, they offer more possibility for storage, and are more stable.

 

the only drawback is visibility. standing you present a larger profile than sitting, someone in one of those huge trucks everyone drives today might not be able to see someone sitting on a bike (because the top of their head is lower than the hood of the vehicle), where they would see someone standing on a scooter.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen that, and I think that this is going to be the base of the CoH rules and regs regarding them. Considering it's been out for almost a year, the city is bound and determined to drag their feet out on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, terra002 said:

Its illegal to ride them on the sidewalk, and they max out at 17 mph. Shouldnt be much different than a bike. 

 

 

On 1/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

Scooters are illegal on the sidewalks here in LA too but it doesn't mean I'm not having to dodge them or risk having my dog run over daily. You'd be a fool to ride those things in traffic. 

 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:51 PM, terra002 said:

So, just like a bike...

 

When people have expressed concern about scooters weaving in and out among pedestrians on sidewalks, scooter proponents here have dismissed those concerns by saying they're "just like a bike", because "its illegal to ride them on the sidewalk" (examples above).

 

But is it actually illegal to ride them on the sidewalk? Not according to state law, which allows them to be ridden on sidewalks, unless a municipality deems them unsafe (see the reg below). As far as I can see, the City of Houston has not passed any ordinance to make them illegal on sidewalks. I see Sec. 45-302 prohibits riding bicycles on sidewalks in a business district, and Sec. 45-16 addresses " coasters, toy vehicles or similar vehicles, " on roadways, and 45-502 addresses "minmotorbikes", and 45-18 makes it "unlawful for a minor to operate a neighborhood electric vehicle or a motor assisted scooter on any public roadway, street, alley, sidewalk or city park within the city limits," and there's 32-301 that is specific to Buffalo Bayou Park, I don't see anything anywhere else in the Houston code of ordinances that makes it unlawful for an adult to ride a motorized scooter on a sidewalk.


 

 
Quote

Sec. 551.351. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:

 

(1) "Motor-assisted scooter":

(A) means a self-propelled device with:

(i) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation;

(ii) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions;

(iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters;

(iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and

(v) the ability to be propelled by human power alone; and

 

(d) A person may operate a motor-assisted scooter on a path set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles or on a sidewalk. Except as otherwise provided by this section, a provision of this title applicable to the operation of a bicycle applies to the operation of a motor-assisted scooter.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

should I find the Eddard Stark "Brace Yourselves" meme and insert "The Scooters are Coming"?

 

also, I have not actually participated in, or been around cities with scooters. I have only ever had the opportunity to read stories on the internet.

 

based on those stories, I am assuming we are going to see the following:

 

twisted bodies tangled with scooter parts strewn about the streets after having fallen off their e-scooters.

e-scooter charging gangs fighting over which scooters they get to charge.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, samagon said:

should I find the Eddard Stark "Brace Yourselves" meme and insert "The Scooters are Coming"?

 

also, I have not actually participated in, or been around cities with scooters. I have only ever had the opportunity to read stories on the internet.

 

based on those stories, I am assuming we are going to see the following:

 

twisted bodies tangled with scooter parts strewn about the streets after having fallen off their e-scooters.

e-scooter charging gangs fighting over which scooters they get to charge.

mwtp0.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm extremely excited for Lime to come to Houston.

 

I've ridden these things in Lisbon, Austin, and San Antonio. It will be nice to have in the East End, could ride the light rail and scooter home (rather than the 11 minute walk). Or maybe even lime all the way to the bars and restaurants in EADO on the bike paths/trails.

 

They're really extremely fun and help you explore more. Houston will be perfect with our flat surfaces. Just worry about our potholes more than anything. Scooters on rough roads are teeth rattling. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I'm extremely excited for Lime to come to Houston.

 

I've ridden these things in Lisbon, Austin, and San Antonio. It will be nice to have in the East End, could ride the light rail and scooter home (rather than the 11 minute walk). Or maybe even lime all the way to the bars and restaurants in EADO on the bike paths/trails.

 

They're really extremely fun and help you explore more. Houston will be perfect with our flat surfaces. Just worry about our potholes more than anything. Scooters on rough roads are teeth rattling. 

 

At this point, I don't think that they'll approve them. At least with scooters in the form that they are in now. Lime just had a pretty significant service retraction.

 

They left San Antonio, Atlanta, Phoenix, and more: https://news.crunchbase.com/news/as-lime-leaves-12-markets-a-note-on-scooters/

 

Also, I'm pretty sure the new CoH Sustainability project thing went out of its way to not mention scooters. It said multi-modality transport, but then mentioned bike share and car sharing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wilcal said:

 

At this point, I don't think that they'll approve them. At least with scooters in the form that they are in now. Lime just had a pretty significant service retraction.

 

They left San Antonio, Atlanta, Phoenix, and more: https://news.crunchbase.com/news/as-lime-leaves-12-markets-a-note-on-scooters/

 

Also, I'm pretty sure the new CoH Sustainability project thing went out of its way to not mention scooters. It said multi-modality transport, but then mentioned bike share and car sharing.

 

Uber and Lyft initially had difficulties getting into our markets, the latter leaving and then returning. 

 

It's a shame they're leaving San Antonio, but apart from zipping around Downtown and King William, there isn't a lot of places to go. Houston already has a lot of bike lane infrastructure/trails and would be a perfect set up for this. San Antonio has little to no set up (in the immediate areas I was in and wanted to go), and required you to ride on the streets with traffic. Lisbon had a ton of bike lanes. Austin also has bike lanes. Super easy to adjust your navigation to the bike setting and scooter away into the sunset.

 

Guess I'll have to look into purchasing one. They're unbelievably fun and can cart my 6'1" 230 lbs self around just fine - even uphill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Uber and Lyft initially had difficulties getting into our markets, the latter leaving and then returning. 

 

It's a shame they're leaving San Antonio, but apart from zipping around Downtown and King William, there isn't a lot of places to go. Houston already has a lot of bike lane infrastructure/trails and would be a perfect set up for this. San Antonio has little to no set up (in the immediate areas I was in and wanted to go), and required you to ride on the streets with traffic. Lisbon had a ton of bike lanes. Austin also has bike lanes. Super easy to adjust your navigation to the bike setting and scooter away into the sunset.

 

Guess I'll have to look into purchasing one. They're unbelievably fun and can cart my 6'1" 230 lbs self around just fine - even uphill. 

 

FWIW, all electric powered vehicles are banned from all trails. Even the electric bcycles have stickers on them saying don't ride them on trails. 

 

I think Houston Parks Board not wanting anything electric (hell, they don't even allow non-electric scooters) is the biggest road block here. Everyone knows that the best place  in Houston to ride these things would be Buffalo Bayou Park. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wilcal said:

 

FWIW, all electric powered vehicles are banned from all trails. Even the electric bcycles have stickers on them saying don't ride them on trails. 

 

I think Houston Parks Board not wanting anything electric (hell, they don't even allow non-electric scooters) is the biggest road block here. Everyone knows that the best place  in Houston to ride these things would be Buffalo Bayou Park. 

Why would they be banned from the trails, it's the best infrastructure for them? The point is to get from A-B, not leisurely ride along the Bayou. These would better serve Downtown, East End, Heights, West End, Montrose, and the Museum District. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Why would they be banned from the trails, it's the best infrastructure for them? The point is to get from A-B, not leisurely ride along the Bayou. These would better serve Downtown, East End, Heights, West End, Montrose, and the Museum District. 

 

I think they're banned because of the speeds involved.

 

I think you're right on about these neighborhoods. I wonder if that's also a roadblock for the scooter companies as you would need a bunch of scooters to cover that service area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After visiting Dallas this weekend and seeing these scooters all over the place, I am firmly in the no camp for bringing the scooters to Houston.  They look terrible clogging up corners and walkways and people ride them through traffic like they don't have to follow any of the road laws. I don't think the convenience they bring to getting around outweigh the eyesore and hassle for drivers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

After visiting Dallas this weekend and seeing these scooters all over the place, I am firmly in the no camp for bringing the scooters to Houston.  They look terrible clogging up corners and walkways and people ride them through traffic like they don't have to follow any of the road laws. I don't think the convenience they bring to getting around outweigh the eyesore and hassle for drivers.

 

Funny, I feel mostly the same way, but with cars.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wilcal said:

 

I think they're banned because of the speeds involved.

 

I think you're right on about these neighborhoods. I wonder if that's also a roadblock for the scooter companies as you would need a bunch of scooters to cover that service area. 

I don't think so, the coverage areas in Austin and Lisbon are huge. What I did like about them was the parking areas were defined - and outright banned in others. Obviously no parking in front of the Alamo, Terreiro do Paco, or riding along the Riverwalk, etc.

 

@brijonmang The same could be said about cyclists not obeying laws while riding. Did you try riding one? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I don't think so, the coverage areas in Austin and Lisbon are huge. What I did like about them was the parking areas were defined - and outright banned in others. Obviously no parking in front of the Alamo, Terreiro do Paco, or riding along the Riverwalk, etc.

 

Wow, I didn't realize Austin's service area had grown so large.

 

It's right at about 90 square miles. All of the area inside 610 is just under 100 square miles.

 

The City of Austin's website actually lists out their micromobility operators and the quantity of scooters and ebikes they have available.

 

Bird - 4,500 scooters

JUMP - 2,500 scooters / 2,000 e-bikes

Lime - 5,000 scooters

Lyft - 2,000 scooters

OjO - 500 scooters

Spin - 750 scooters

Wheels - 500 bicycles

 

(Plus Revel with 500 mopeds)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

 

@brijonmang The same could be said about cyclists not obeying laws while riding. Did you try riding one? 

I don't disagree about cyclists.  I was just offering my thoughts on the scooters... I did not ride them as we were downtown within walking distance to everything we went to.  They look like they would be fun to ride but the way they were just strewn about carelessly on corners and the middle of walkways left a bad taste in my mouth.  Like with anything else, the bad apples ruin it for the rest of the responsible users.  I would be a lot more open to the idea if there was a quicker turn around on the collection process.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brijonmang said:

I don't disagree about cyclists.  I was just offering my thoughts on the scooters... I did not ride them as we were downtown within walking distance to everything we went to.  They look like they would be fun to ride but the way they were just strewn about carelessly on corners and the middle of walkways left a bad taste in my mouth.  Like with anything else, the bad apples ruin it for the rest of the responsible users.  I would be a lot more open to the idea if there was a quicker turn around on the collection process.  

They're collected every night by organized freelancers/contractors and placed neatly on the sidewalks by morning. In my experience there's always a few wayward users who leave them where they shouldn't be, but for the most part users are conscious about parking them in the right place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

They're collected every night by organized freelancers/contractors and placed neatly on the sidewalks by morning. In my experience there's always a few wayward users who leave them where they shouldn't be, but for the most part users are conscious about parking them in the right place. 

Yes I saw them being collected at night but my experience was more 50/50 on being out of the way vs being in the way.  Maybe some of it can be attributed to a learning curve.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...