Aaron Upset At Astros' Lack Of African Americans

Guest danax

"Aaron, who said Wednesday that the Astros need to make an effort to sign African American players."

"It is very disturbing to see something like this," Aaron said. "And you would think that this ballclub could find at least one or two African Americans, especially in this city. It's very disturbing. I think they need to look at that very carefully. They need to talk to people in the scouting department and everybody else because this needs to be addressed."

Full article here.

Now we're being called a racist team. Does Aaron really think that the Astros are more interested in racial makeup than winning? I used to look up to Hank. He was "the man" when I was a boy. Seeing him in the stands last night was nice but I had forgotten the large chip on his shoulder that he carries around with him. I think Hank is still bitter about the hate aimed at him when he was breaking the Babe's record.

Hank, could it be that African-American boys are playing more basketball than baseball? What about the NBA? Maybe we need to look into the problem of lack of white players. Let's implant a certain percentage of each race onto each team just to keep it "balanced".

Drayton McLane, Tim Purpura, you heard him. Go out and get some African-American players this off season. These white boys can't get anyone home.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that Joe Morgan had spouted off the same rhetoric to someone in the press box. I don't know, Willy Taveras looks pretty Black to me, although he is Hispanic. Astros seem to have made it to the BIG SHOW with what they have, so what's it matter how the team is made up, there is no Affirmative Action in Baseball ! Hank, you can go pound dirt for all I care, I didn't like you when you played for Atlanta, I don't like you now. [edit]:lol:

Ok, I'm going to say this.

They sign good players. Be them Black, white, asian, it doesn't matter. They simply sign them because there good! Some teams have alot of black players, and some have alot of white players. It shouldn't even matter what race the team is, its the fact, it is a Team! Doesn't make them racist, or prejudice. Its like saying "The Houston Rockets should sign more White players!"

doesn't that sound stupid?

Not to prolong the argument, but I thought it was interesting what Aaron said, because I have said this for years. I didn't come out and call it rascist or anything. I merely thought it strange that they traded all of the Black players, even some pretty good ones. And, it is something I have noticed for the last 3 years or so.

There is certainly no evidence to back up my observation (or Aaron's), but it made me wonder why.

I'll prolong the argument. First off, I believe the comments are taken out of context. Hank said teams (and the Astros (he mentioned the Astros since he was sitting in Minute Maid Park, not because he thinks we are the major offender)) need to do something about the problem. That's a far cry from saying the Astros need to go out and sign black players. The "problem" he is referring to is the pipeline of talent that no longer includes a proportionate share of African Americans. African-American kids aren't drawn to baseball anymore for a number of reasons, many of the reasons fixable. What Aaron is asking for Baseball to do is go out there and fix it.

Think about Houston. How many baseball diamonds are inside the city limits? How many basketball courts are there? It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with accessibility. If you're a kid and you live a few blocks from the basketball court and 5 miles from the nearest baseball field, what sport do you think you're going to get good at?

Baseball can fix this by putting more money into little league programs. They do it all over Central and South America. The Astros have a million dollar complex in Argentina where kids come to play and learn the game. The good ones get drafted by the 'Stros and other teams when they're 16 and get sent to the minor leagues. Why don't they have that here?

WOW.. Shocker.. A black man comments that there aren't any black people involved in a certain aspect of his career field. Well, I've neverheard of this happening before. :rolleyes:

I'd be worried about the number of black players on the team just as soon as they start worrying about the number of hispanic and asian players on the team.

I hate it that some people simply think that "diversity = more black people". The rainbow has more than two colors people.

First off I agree with others who said, what does it matter whether you're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. as long as you can play ball. Why would the Astros, Rockets, or Texans go out and get a player who is white, black, or has a mohawk to satisfy one group if they aren't the best player available.

Furthermore, like Montrose1100 said, should the Rockets (and most other NBA teams) go out and sign some white and hispanic guys? This would be the exact thing that Aaron said just with a different sport. I wonder what his opinion on that would be? But that's ridiculous, each sport takes the best players, regardless of race. America should learn to do the same, ignore color. Aaron should've seen 9 baseball players on the field, not 5 white and 4 hispanic (or whatever we have).

My rant is over...

First off I agree with others who said, what does it matter whether you're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. as long as you can play ball. Why would the Astros, Rockets, or Texans go out and get a player who is white, black, or has a mohawk to satisfy one group if they aren't the best player available.

Furthermore, like Montrose1100 said, should the Rockets (and most other NBA teams) go out and sign some white and hispanic guys? This would be the exact thing that Aaron said just with a different sport. I wonder what his opinion on that would be? But that's ridiculous, each sport takes the best players, regardless of race. America should learn to do the same, ignore color. Aaron should've seen 9 baseball players on the field, not 5 white and 4 hispanic (or whatever we have).

My rant is over...

Last night at the World's Series they made a big deal about the All Latino Team. Lots of great players but when will they have the All Irish Team or the All Italian Team or All Hick Team ?

..when will they have the All Irish Team?

You racist bastard!

I'm just kidding. What I've learned is that the majority can never have a members exclusive club - only minorities. The problem with the Irish, is that they are white. And we all know who the majority in the "color" game still is. The question is, one day in the distant future, when "white" people are no longer the majority, will they once again be allowed to have their "white only" clubs? Probably not.. huh?

You racist bastard!

I don't see why you think that. There have been hundreds of great latino ball players, but there have also be hundreds of great Italian, Black, Japanese, Irish, White Trash ball players. I don't see the point if focusing in on one group. Ballplayers are ballplayers and everyone known that white men can't jump.

What exactly is a Latino, anyway?

I read an essay recently that suggested Latino Month was a farce.

Becuase there really is not a united "Latino" culture. There is Mexican, Cuban, Brazilian culture, etc. But there is not true "Latino" affinity between these cultures, becuase they truly are their own culture.

A prime example is lumping Cubans in with Mexicans. They don't see eye-to-eye at all, yet "we" lump them together as "Latinos".

Hasn't this issue been brought up before about the Astros? I'd like to see a bit more diversity on the team, but lets face it, there aren't that many of us playing the game anymore. Baseball isn't particularly popular with young African Americans. I still rooted for the Astros, just as I would expect a White (or what ever race) Houstonian to root for the Rockets.

This is a little off topic but does anyone know how many beers Barbara Bush put back during the playoffs & series?

I hope she wasn't playing that drinking game where you drink a beer for ever Astro left on base at the end of each inning! :unsure:

This is a little off topic but does anyone know how many beers Barbara Bush put back during the playoffs & series?

Are you saying the former first lady is a lush?

:o I knew I liked her for some reason. Them Bush grandchildren must be driving the poor old lady to drink.

Man, people can always find the best times to pull the race card huh?

And, whites are a minority in Texas now, so why not start a white club? I guess that would be considered some sort of secret neo-nazi-KKK organization going on, or we would just be complete racists.

White doesn't equal KKK, but I agree with you. I'm pretty sure if 30 white Irish guys got together and started hanging out, no one would say anything. Only if they tried to become a public entity with things like awareness publicity, parades, or petitions for equal diversity, would they get called racists.

White doesn't equal KKK, but I agree with you. I'm pretty sure if 30 white Irish guys got together and started hanging out, no one would say anything. Only if they tried to become a public entity with things like awareness publicity, parades, or petitions for equal diversity, would they get called racists.

Hey, Jeebus, isn't that what St. Patrick's Day is? :P

The reason there are no "white" clubs is that no one really wants to be a part of something that is not unique. Further, whites as a group have not been discriminated against, so there is no impetus to join together. There is no glue.

Even the KKK has a more restrictive definition than just "white". They are Christian protestants of English or Aryan ancestry. Jews, Catholics, Blacks, Hispanics, non-Americans and liberals are not welcome. Neither are Irish, Italian and other non-Aryans, though to a lesser extent.

There are numerous groups comprised mainly or completely of whites that are welcomed and even admired. These groups include many formed to celebrate a shared ancestry, such as Irish, Italian or Polish heritage societies. It is when the purpose of the group is to inspire and advance a doctrine of hatred, that the groups incur the wrath of others. Bear in mind, membership in these groups is not illegal, nor is it illegal for others to heap derision on their less than pure ideology.

White, being such an all-encompassing term, would include so many people, virtually all of whom have experienced no historical discrimination, and having no common heritage, would be such a boring and aimless group that I can think of no one who would be moved to join it.

Archived