Icon M Tower: Condominium High-Rise At 1209 Montrose Blvd.

Sparrow

33 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Anyone know how the meeting went regarding this one?

No real discussion from commissioners. One speaker in favor, though wanted less prominent parking (either fewer spaces or automated parking system). Two speakers opposed.

24 minutes ago, jmosele said:

I'm diggin the funky retro vibe. I think it'll fit Montrose nicely!

I’m getting a “Sears store renovated in the 1980s” vibe from this render. 

4 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Oh. No no. That's ugly and so misporoportioned. However, can't argue with a frontage of retail. 

Agreed. This lot has a relatively narrow footprint for the size of the building, so when you combine that with the asinine minimum parking requirements, this is what you get.

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Agreed. This lot has a relatively narrow footprint for the size of the building, so when you combine that with the asinine minimum parking requirements, this is what you get.

Looking at the rendering, if the retail parking is undergound (probably 50 spaces or so) it's almost certainly exceeding the minimums by a fair amount. 50% or so, I'd guess.

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I’m getting a “Sears store renovated in the 1980s” vibe from this render. 

I'm getting a "1960's office building converted to a parking lot with something thrown on top" vibe.

It looks like it will have ample parking for the residences on top AND for the nightlife in the area. 

I like it because it pisses off the "What about the drainage?", "What about the traffic?", "It's out of scale with the neighborhood.", "Think of the children.", "I live in a bungalow." crowd. There's already a group of them trying to stop this. These people are truly evil. 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:31 AM, jgriff said:

I like it because it pisses off the "What about the drainage?", "What about the traffic?", "It's out of scale with the neighborhood.", "Think of the children.", "I live in a bungalow." crowd. There's already a group of them trying to stop this. These people are truly evil. 

The "what about the drainage" people are the best. Aesthetics of this particular building aside, building high-FAR, high-population-per-acre housing results in less impervious cover per resident. And the increase in population is coming whether we build here or out in the sticks. Every apartment in this building could mean one fewer house on the Katy prairie, which should HELP the flooding situation. 

The "what about the traffic" people have a point, sort of. To the extent that all the people living in this building will mostly get around by driving personal automobiles, the additional population will increase traffic. But it's not a question of WHETHER we get additional population, it's a question of WHERE. If you want to reduce traffic, you need to reduce vehicle miles traveled per person. If you don't build dense housing near where people work and play, you build sprawl further away. Which means more people driving more miles, which means more traffic.

4 hours ago, Angostura said:

Every apartment in this building could mean one fewer house on the Katy prairie, which should HELP the flooding situation. 

Although I agree with you in principle, I’m afraid the Venn diagram between people considering a house in Katy and those who would live in a high-rise apartment in Montrose would basically be two perfect circles directly next to each other.

I personally have zero interest in living in a high rise, but also zero interest in living anywhere outside the loop, so maybe I’m not the best person to opine on such a choice. 

On 8/31/2018 at 11:31 PM, jgriff said:

That’s a fairly low bar to set. There will always be somebody to oppose virtually any new development, no matter what the justification of their opposition may be. I’m not sure such people should be deemed “truly evil” though. 

24 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I don't know why he even follows this site if he has that attitude. Whats happened to friendly discourse.

I simply chalk it up to immaturity with a tad bit of arrogance. I say this because I've been that way even on this site years prior. While we ultimately want/need these developments to happen we should uphold our due diligence to listen to what those people have to say because we might be just as ignorant about the situation as they are. Hopefully we all gain a better perspective in each situation on both sides. That last part especially "truly evil" just exudes tribalism in its worst forms. I'm glad people are taking him to task on this because its just as arrogant as those who oppose this development who say that we are evil for not caring about their lives and supporting this development.

Edited by Luminare

15 hours ago, SkylineView said:

Gucci @ Prada?  At Montrose & Clay?  

Ok.  glhf.

Just as a follow-on,.......

For all you graphic artists.....

what are the trademark/copyright laws that apply to this?   I see some developers use “brand” names on the building’s in their rendering and others don't.  Can any developer plaster a rendering with the trademark/tradename or copyrighted symbols of a brand?  Or, is that not allowed?

i’m curious and I could use a good education.

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Although I agree with you in principle, I’m afraid the Venn diagram between people considering a house in Katy and those who would live in a high-rise apartment in Montrose would basically be two perfect circles directly next to each other.

I personally have zero interest in living in a high rise, but also zero interest in living anywhere outside the loop, so maybe I’m not the best person to opine on such a choice. 

As long is there is some preference overlap along the spectrum from high-rise apartment to 1-acre homesite, it doesn't need to be a direct substitution to be true.

And people's preferences are not immune to price and availability. Right now, you're able to indulge both your preference for a certain type of housing AND your preference to live (in certain neighborhoods) inside the loop, but there's no guarantee that those conditions will persist. 

57 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Just as a follow-on,.......

For all you graphic artists.....

what are the trademark/copyright laws that apply to this?   I see some developers use “brand” names on the building’s in their rendering and others don't.  Can any developer plaster a rendering with the trademark/tradename or copyrighted symbols of a brand?  Or, is that not allowed?

i’m curious and I could use a good education.

This would slide into the category of fair use.

One is that it isn't a one to one market. The rendering isn't competing in the market that the trademark resides and two its using the brand name in a different way than original intended which gives it a different meaning.

However there are stipulations to this. Some companies require all sign offs to use their products in given work, but many don't because if an artist uses a certain brand than its basically free advertising for the brand. For many, any kind of visibility is good visibility.

Sometimes this can even motivate a brand to buy into a production, project, design, etc... simply because they see the opportunity now that they see it in said production, project, design. You see this in Hollywood for instance when a script might read that "character starts drinking a soda" and later a brand comes in and says "can the character drink a Coke?" and give ad money so they can be featured.

Its also based on preference. Some artists don't want to be tied or seen advertising to a particular brand and so they will go with a generic look.

My personal preference is to use generic logos, etc... because any brand in an image like this is going to be a bit distracting to the overall vision. Plus it might immediately restrict what might be possible at that given moment in the project.

There are a lot more that can be discussed on this, but its a good primer and quick answer to your questions which are good btw.

7 minutes ago, Luminare said:

This would slide into the category of fair use.

One is that it isn't a one to one market. The rendering isn't competing in the market that the trademark resides and two its using the brand name in a different way than original intended which gives it a different meaning.

However there are stipulations to this. Some companies require all sign offs to use their products in given work, but many don't because if an artist uses a certain brand than its basically free advertising for the brand. For many, any kind of visibility is good visibility.

Sometimes this can even motivate a brand to buy into a production, project, design, etc... simply because they see the opportunity now that they see it in said production, project, design. You see this in Hollywood for instance when a script might read that "character starts drinking a soda" and later a brand comes in and says "can the character drink a Coke?" and give ad money so they can be featured.

Its also based on preference. Some artists don't want to be tied or seen advertising to a particular brand and so they will go with a generic look.

My personal preference is to use generic logos, etc... because any brand in an image like this is going to be a bit distracting to the overall vision. Plus it might immediately restrict what might be possible at that given moment in the project.

There are a lot more that can be discussed on this, but its a good primer and quick answer to your questions which are good btw.

Great info.  Thank you.