I was house hunting with my cousin the other day in Memorial an I said I wanted to move in River Oaks(if I could :P ) She said River Oaks had a lot of racial undertones because they had Deed restrictions until 1986 saying minorities an jewish ppl live there. Is this true? (its hard for me to believe this ;)

• Like 1

I remember being told that back in the 1060s Muhammad Ali liked Houston and the River Oaks neighborhood so much that he wanted to move there. But all of the white people there did not want him in there neighborhood no matter who he was because he was black.

I was house hunting with my cousin the other day in Memorial an I said I wanted to move in River Oaks(if I could :P ) She said River Oaks had a lot of racial undertones because they had Deed restrictions until 1986 saying minorities an jewish ppl live there. Is this true? (its hard for me to believe this ;)

the only reason west university was developed was because Jewish people wanting to live in River Oaks but could not. Therefore, both neighborhoods have long been sought after because the people we lived in them had money. Both neighborhoods have never seen downturns when people exit the neighborhood and the properties decline in value. No most homes in both neighborhood have only appreciated in value.

Edited by eelimon

Keep in mind that these older neighborhoods established their deed restrictions a long time ago.

I live in Oak Forest. I have no idea if it has been updated since, but 20 years ago when I was (temporarily) involved in the neighborhood politics, I checked out our deed restrictions and found there was a very racial remark included.

Keep in mind that these older neighborhoods established their deed restrictions a long time ago.

I live in Oak Forest. I have no idea if it has been updated since, but 20 years ago when I was (temporarily) involved in the neighborhood politics, I checked out our deed restrictions and found there was a very racial remark included.

Same where I live. A lot of the ones written long ago in Houston kept non-whites and, in some cases, Jews, from buying homes there until the Civil Rights Act superceded them, so some might still be included but they are illegal.

I'm guessing that the irony of the Washington Terrace story, where Jews had created their own "River Oaks" since they had been banned from the real one, is that they probably excluded any racial restrictions in their deed restrictions and then ended up leaving en masse when blacks started buying their homes.

the only reason west university was developed was because Jewish people wanting to live in River Oaks but could not.

Eelimon, I don't think that is true. While nobody will dispute WestU's Tony status now, when it was first built it wasn't always that way. Back in the day it was an area of upper-middle class homes, not really a direct comparison th River Oaks. The Jewish River Oaks you are referring to borders braes bayou west of 288 behind UH. I can't remember the proper name of the area, but there are some beautiful stately mansions tucked away back there.

Eelimon, I don't think that is true. While nobody will dispute WestU's Tony status now, when it was first built it wasn't always that way. Back in the day it was an area of upper-middle class homes, not really a direct comparison th River Oaks. The Jewish River Oaks you are referring to borders braes bayou west of 288 behind UH. I can't remember the proper name of the area, but there are some beautiful stately mansions tucked away back there.

You're talking about Riverside Terrace...I know the Weingartens were one of the wealthy families that lived there. They recently sold a piece of land near MacGregor and 288 to UT-Health Science Center, I believe.

Riverside Terrace is full of beautiful old homes. It always kills me to hear ignorant people talk about my alma mater, UH, being in a "bad part of town". Sure, there is public housing a few blocks from UH on Alabama (Cuney Homes), but there are also million-dollar mansions just as close by. You can't say that Riverside Terrace is a "bad area". Maybe it has something to do with the fact that a lot of Riverside Terrace is home to affluent blacks?

She said River Oaks had a lot of racial undertones because they had Deed restrictions until 1986 saying minorities an jewish ppl live there. Is this true? (its hard for me to believe this ;)

Lots of old subdivisions had deed restrictions prohibiting black people from living there. Don't know about Jews, but I do know that the Jews had their own version of River Oaks called Riverside Terrace.

I'm sorry Im not a fan of that UH neighborhood even though nice homes are in it they are sort of ghetto mansions some are so worn down I couldnt imagine building a new mansion or mcmansion in the neighborhood with some many other desirable choices in the Houston metro.

Edited by HtownKid

It's good enough for Shelia Jackon Lee.

And who really cares if you are not fan of that hood?

And just how far removed from reality are you not realize that blacks and Jews were discriminated against?

Are you really that naive?

Oy vey!

Edited by MidtownCoog

I'm sorry Im not a fan of that UH neighborhood even though nice homes are in it they are sort of ghetto mansions some are so worn down I could imagine building a mansion or mcmansion in the neighborhood with some many other desirable choices in the Houston metro.

It that kind of attitude that makes some neighborhoods redevelopments and low price a well kept secret. before I mean long before the heights was as popular as it is now some people said the same thing about redeveloping it, granted there are few if any mansion there but when the secret was let out; price sky-rocketed. I am a firm believer that all neighborhood inside the 610 loop will be revitalized to a point that we they all could be called gentrified

Edited by eelimon

It's good enough for Shelia Jackon Lee.

And who really cares if you are fan of that hood?

And just how far removed from reality are you not realize that blacks and Jews were discriminated against?

Are you really that naive?

Oy vey!

No kidding!

Hell, they are STILL discriminated against. Most people just don't put it in writing in their deeds anymore.

BTW, ghetto mansions? Hardly.

You're talking about Riverside Terrace... Riverside Terrace is full of beautiful old homes.

Riverside Terrace has some of the most jaw dropping, ORIGINAL early modernistic homes in Houston. Although I'm a native to Houston, I just drove through for the first time about 6 months ago, and it was a real treat.

At 4000-5000 sq. ft, these were very large houses for the time (most built pre-1955), and to me anyway, most have a very strong FLW Usonian influence, with a little Prarie school thrown in. I'm surprised there hasn't been more press surrounding the neighborhood in the past, although one of these homes, designed by Lucian Hood, has been published in a recent ranch house book. Some are in poor condition, rotting wood, etc, but still they are amazingly intact for their age and design.

My father, who is also a native Houstonian, recalls that Riverside Terrace was built mostly by wealthy Jewish professionals, in response to being restricted out of River Oaks. He also said that these folks began leaving en masse for Meyerland, shortly after it was developed in the mid 50's, and possibly for the reasons mentioned previously in this post. Interesting (and probably not coincidental) that they both contain some of Houston's most notable, original modern architecture.

I remember being told that back in the 1060s Muhammad Ali liked Houston and the River Oaks neighborhood so much that he wanted to move there. But all of the white people there did not want him in there neighborhood no matter who he was because he was black.

Am I the only one that heard this?

For a history on Riverside you need to see if you can view the documentary This is our home, It is not for sale. Talks about racism, white/jewish flight, and the exploitation by realtors and developers. Made in the late 80's, it is still very much relevant today.

It has been on TV before and either Rice or the MFA have screened it recently.

For a history on Riverside you need to see if you can view the documentary This is our home, It is not for sale. Talks about racism, white/jewish flight, and the exploitation by realtors and developers. Made in the late 80's, it is still very much relevant today.

It has been on TV before and either Rice or the MFA have screened it recently.

Produced by KUHT but for some reason not available for sale on their website and not listed at HPL either.

I was amazed when watching it the names of all the well-known Houston families - civic, cultural, business leaders - that had lived in Riverside before the turnover and then it became the home to Black business, cultural, and civic leaders.

River Oaks, along with most subdivisions developed from the 50's and back, had discriminatory restrictions along racial lines, and the restrictions sometimes included Jews. Unfortunately it was an ugly practice that was not limited to River Oaks. Fair Housing ruled that out in 1968.

As for Muhammed Ali trying to buy in River Oaks and being turned away, I somehow doubt it. I would think that if he didn't buy in there, it was ultimately his choice. I can't imagine that he would be intimidated out of it if it was something he wanted to do. I don't think he would be easy to intimidate. I remember when it was going on because there was something on the news about him being the first African American to buy in River Oaks at the time. Apparently that classified as news at the time. If I remember right, it was the mid-century modern style house on Willowick that was eventually demolished in later years, or stripped down to a few beams & redone by Tilman and turned into another stucco villa affair.

Back to Riverside, it has some incredible homes by architects like Joseph Finger, Birdsall Briscoe, John Staub, Katherine Mott & Bailey Swenson. Many of whom designed the largest homes in River Oaks and the Museum district. The danger to these homes seems to come from remodelers. Heavy handed remodeling that is not sympathetic to the original designs are rampant. The John Staub hill country style house at MacGregor and Roseneath has been "remodeled" into a poorly proportioned nightmare version of a suburban builder special.

I am sure African American buyers looking in places like River Oaks still experience more subtle forms of discrimination, but Riverside Terrace has it's own spin on the exclusionary practices as well. Depending upon who has the listing, (and who is trying to show), I have found houses that were supposed to have a lock box suddenly don't, & when you try to pick up a key it doesn't work. People who have to meet you at houses to open them suddenly don't show up, etc. The "issues" I have showing in Riverside are disproportionate to other neighborhoods. Could be coincidence but I am of the opinion it is no accident when dealing with some real estate companies and/or agents.

GoAtomic,

have you seen this beauty? :

3602 E PARKWOOD DR

Yes - it was one of the memorable ones that I saw on my last drivethrough. I have a feeling the HAR pics don't do it justice, but the price should deter the builders.

I think the Lucian Hood house that I mentioned is on Parkwood, too ... on a corner right next to the 'park' nestled between the two sides of the street, and next door to a River Oaks-style Greek traditional.

There is a synopsis of what happened to Riverside Terrace in Slotboom's Houston Freeways book - relevant to the construction of the South Freeway, it starts on Pg 184.

http://www.houstonfreeways.com/ebook/South_Freeway_72ppi.pdf

Considering the Muhammed Ali/River Oaks story, this section also discusses, Jack Caesar, the first black to buy into Riverside Terrace.

I believe that if Ali wanted to live in River Oaks, he would live in River Oaks, just from his character. I think he would be sure and move there if someone told him he couldn't.