Inner Loop Street Repaving

cwrm4

One way streets are always effective at reducing traffic congestion, but businesses are usually against it like they are with medians unless they is enough pedestrian traffic.

Westheimer would need a parallel street though.

One way streets are always effective at reducing traffic congestion, but businesses are usually against it like they are with medians unless they is enough pedestrian traffic.

Westheimer would need a parallel street though.

Since when has anyone in Houston cared about pedestrian traffic?

The contractor was having some disputes with the city on possible additional services and how to get paid. If they are working again as RedScare has mentioned, then they probably resolved it.

I'm sure the concrete street will look nice and smooth, and they will probably put up some nice antique street lighting, but it kind of sucks that the street will still be a 3 lane thoroughfare with a reversible center lane. I believe there was enough room to put in 4 lanes.

Oh well, I'll take it anyway. Don't look a gift horse...or street...in the mouth.

I think if they would have made it four lanes they may have gotten some opposition.

Does is look like the three configuration will have room to park along it parallel? I haven't been by the area in a while since it is so torn up.

I think if they would have made it four lanes they may have gotten some opposition.

Does is look like the three configuration will have room to park along it parallel? I haven't been by the area in a while since it is so torn up.

Oh, hell no. It is the same getup as before. I believe they widened it a foot or so on each side to get to current standards, that's all.

I'll just be glad when Studewood is finished. I figured it would take longer than what was anticipated-total street removal/replacement usually does.

I like the 3 lane concept. I don't like it when people ignore the BIG RED X and use the center lane. Especially in the morning when we're trying to get to 11th St. Cafe for my caffine and pancake fix! [it's all about me, right? <_< ]

I'm glad they retrieved the mosaic street name curbs also. That will be a nice touch.

B)

I know a lot of streets in Houston need total overhall.

Ex. everyone of the streets that still have ditches.

Maybe I didn't think of it much before, but coming back here after three months and driving around it hits me: The roads here are AWFUL! They do need a total overhaul.

I'll just be glad when Studewood is finished. I figured it would take longer than what was anticipated-total street removal/replacement usually does.

I like the 3 lane concept. I don't like it when people ignore the BIG RED X and use the center lane. Especially in the morning when we're trying to get to 11th St. Cafe for my caffine and pancake fix! [it's all about me, right? <_< ]

I'm glad they retrieved the mosaic street name curbs also. That will be a nice touch.

B)

I wonder if the 11th St. Cafe has tried to get an access easement from the church next store? They have a lot of unused space between the church and the 11Th Cafe. Access off of 11th sure would be nice.

Maybe I didn't think of it much before, but coming back here after three months and driving around it hits me: The roads here are AWFUL! They do need a total overhaul.

I agree. This is one of the biggest issues I think the city, from an administrative and public works standpoint, needs to address in full. The main roads in many quadrants are in major need of reconstruction while many long ago annexed communities have residential streets that don't look as if they're part of the city.

At the very least, get moving on fixing the city's major thoroughfares.

On a bright note, the downtown streets project is nearly finished. All of the streets, including Travis and Caroline, the last two, are finished. There is a little bit of sidewalk work being completed, and the wiring for the lights and signals is being put in, but by the end of the month, there should be no more construction...except for when they start tearing things up again. :P

• 11 years later...

It is just awesome reading this thread and seeing how much has changed in 12 years. This area has totally exploded in growth with new homes on every single block. And yes, here we are, 12 years later, with terrible roads again, especially Crockett. 

Anyways, I didn't revive this thread just to revive it. Does anyone remember a sketch showing a future expansion of Sawyer St. from Spring St to Washington Ave.? I cannot seem to find it anywhere and I know someone posted it. Maybe @lockmat, @Urbannizer, or @CrockpotandGravel know what I am talking about? It was probably 2 or 3 years ago. This is the closest thing I can find to it, showing a future extension of Summer St., but it's obviously not the right road. Perhaps the expansion was related to some apartment complex to be built... or maybe even Sawyer Yards.

Washington-Heights-Aerial.jpg?itok=FPLFR

59 minutes ago, lockmat said:

Doesn't ring a bell, sorry.

Ok, thanks though. I even searched on Google and couldn't find any reference, but I do remember there being some discussion of widening Sawyer to 4 lanes. For some reason, I even remember a median in the outline. Hope I am not dreaming of construction projects now. 

Archived