Houston is the new cool

bobruss

https://www.gq.com/story/houston-restaurants-capital-of-southern-cool

Since I thought this would catch most of the people I thought would be interested in this I'm placing it here. 

This is in this months GQ magazine. Great story about Houston and how it has quietly become cool.

Hope you enjoy if you haven't seen it.

Goes over the top in denouncing our aesthetics, saying we're ugly, we're ugly, we're ugly, but ugly is cool. Maybe if you're from one of these Eastern cities where all the freeways are sterile corridors of trees then Houston is an adjustment, but we are not ugly.

I have lived in and out of Houston for 30 years.  While it is true that Houston is in the eye of the beholder, I vote for the ugly side.  We have our share of  Sterile too — just head out to KaSugWood and get read to find all those ticks-tack boxes Pete sung about.

anyway, it’s a terrific article, albeit quite long.  There is much going on in Houston and much of it is under-appreciated by many, including many who live here.  

Houston has always been a place that is, as with any other large city (I assume), as good as you make it, or as bad as you make it.

I am glad people are writing about how awesome Houston is.

I'm sad people will move here specifically because they want to be seen in the cool place they read about.

Hopefully the mosquitoes and high temps/humidity will purge those people quickly and leave us with the ones who really want to be here.

Houston has always been kind of a testing ground for things to come. It quietly comes and quietly goes. Houston was once the city of the future for modernism, then the city of the future for post-modernism, and it will most likely be the same for the next big movement that comes forward. The city is just that flexible and pragmatic. Which seems to be what that "city of the future" might be. A sort of radical pragmatism. The food is evidence of that. So many mishmashing of different flavors and styles. Its pretty cool just how bold and daring the food culture is here and I hope that filters into other aspects of Houston culture, art, and architecture.

I thought the guy did his homework. he wasn't over the top chamber of commerce sweet and he made some very astute observations.

I thought it was a very even and fair description of Houston. Add that to Anthony Bourdains visit on CNN and those are two pretty positive and remarkable pieces of PR and we didn't even have to come up with a new stupid slogan with T shirts.

He obviously did his homework and had some great connections to guide him in the right direction. He could have written about The Woodlands or Sugarland.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, bobruss said:

I thought the guy did his homework. he wasn't over the top chamber of commerce sweet and he made some very astute observations.

I thought it was a very even and fair description of Houston. Add that to Anthony Bourdains visit on CNN and those are two pretty positive and remarkable pieces of PR and we didn't even have to come up with a new stupid slogan with T shirts.

He obviously did his homework and had some great connections to guide him in the right direction. He could have written about The Woodlands or Sugarland.

Sugarland is hip, because Sugarland doesn't give a **** about being hip.

Archived