thedistrict84

Several Blocks Slated for Development Near Sampson/York

There are several “Notice of Variance Request” signs up near Sampson/York and Garrow St. covering all or part of five blocks (as indicated in my crudely marked map below).

From my understanding, this is property owned by Lovett/InTown Homes, so I would assume that there are townhouses going in here. 

Anyone have any additional info on this?

55B42FC5-A561-4E8E-8177-B4F7BFE1F321.jpeg

5089DF70-D063-4FE6-A400-232BE4602AAB.jpeg

4803FA02-631A-4DB0-89BF-364CB52BEF84.jpeg

That whole area is adding new homes constantly and it really isn’t in the traditional EADO area. The townhome community already there “Eado Square” is already finishing up the last few units that are facing Canal St and they are finally finishing those townhome units on Milby Street too. 

Im not sure what is up with those weird little townhomes on Sampson and Canal behind the tire shop but they are interesting looking enough to say the least.

I also saw they are also building townhomes near Sampson/Harrisburg intersection too. 

Not to mention the old folks homes that are about to be built on Commerce. 

The area res is about to look real different I’m a few years if these all go through

On 8/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, Tone2002 said:

I also saw they are also building townhomes near Sampson/Harrisburg intersection too. 

Do you know exactly where that development would be located? There are quite a few vacant lots in the immediate few blocks, so it would be nice for something to be done with at least some of those.

The Sampson/York corridor is going to be interesting in a year or two with all of this new town home construction and new restaurants/bars such as Victorian’s BBQ and The Plant at Harrisburg in the works.

On 8/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, Tone2002 said:

That whole area is adding new homes constantly and it really isn’t in the traditional EADO area. The townhome community already there “Eado Square” is already finishing up the last few units that are facing Canal St and they are finally finishing those townhome units on Milby Street too. 

Im not sure what is up with those weird little townhomes on Sampson and Canal behind the tire shop but they are interesting looking enough to say the least.

Not to mention the old folks homes that are about to be built on Commerce. 

The area res is about to look real different I’m a few years if these all go through

Where exactly is the old folks homes in commerce being built on?

Edited by SampsonScientist
Grammar

On 9/15/2018 at 0:15 PM, SampsonScientist said:

Where exactly is the old folks homes in commerce being built on?

2800 Commerce. It’s the large vacant lot at Commerce and Delano.

I created a post about it a while back, it was moved over to the “Going Up!” section.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/39132-campanile-on-commerce-2800-commerce-new-senior-living-apartments-in-second-ward/

On 9/13/2018 at 2:25 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Do you know exactly where that development would be located? There are quite a few vacant lots in the immediate few blocks, so it would be nice for something to be done with at least some of those.

The Sampson/York corridor is going to be interesting in a year or two with all of this new town home construction and new restaurants/bars such as Victorian’s BBQ and The Plant at Harrisburg in the works.

Im sorry I was mistaken. It was actually a townhome subdivision on York/Harrisburg. Before you cross over Harrisburg going towards Commerce/Canal/etc.... near the light rail. It is literally nestled against a home. Several of them at that. 

I was looking at the minutes from the planning commission meeting on 8/30/2018 where these proposed developments were up for discussion. Apparently there was a staff recommendation to deny the variances and disapprove the plats. However, the commission rejected that recommendation and voted to approve everything. 

That doesn’t seem typical to me, although I’m admittedly not well-versed in the workings of the planning commission at this point. Is there something else going on here behind the scenes?

Edited by thedistrict84

Where did you find the minutes?

Any new word on this/when they'll break ground?

There has been some steady refurbishing going on in this area around Voodoo Queen. The Firestation is a good example of it. 

• Like 1