Westheimer Eyesore

HtownKid

Why is Westheimer so ugly after you get past Fountainview I mean the thing looks like Beriut Blvd its so dirty looking. They should have a major beautification project for it since its the main street for Houston. They have no city right of way green space just that ugly brown sidewalk all up on the road. an nothing in the middle just a big cement giant.

PS Has anyone been to that Walmart

Well, you are in between Westchase and Uptown. That area in between is a no-man's land. It needs some redevelopment.

I wouldn't call it an eyesore. Just a little old.

And yes, the Internation Wal-Mart on dunvale is a little nasty, and I like Wal-Mart. The only probablem is that you can here every language but english over there.

Once you get to the Gessner, it gets a little better - but only to Kirkwood. The Westchase group planted a bunch of trees in the center medians. Give them about 20 years and we'll start to see a little canopy action like Main St. has.

I wish the city would continue the trend and plant trees all the way to 610 heading east and to highway 6 heading west. On a somewhat unrelated note, I use 1093 (what Westeimer turns into outside highway 6) to come into the city. I always thought it would be cool for the city to put up some sort of cool looking sign welcoming you to Houston there at highway 6. This could be done at a few different major intersections on the outskirts of the city.

Why is Westheimer so ugly after you get past Fountainview I mean the thing looks like Beriut Blvd its so dirty looking. They should have a major beautification project for it since its the main street for Houston. They have no city right of way green space just that ugly brown sidewalk all up on the road. an nothing in the middle just a big cement giant.

PS Has anyone been to that Walmart

I just close my eyes when I drive down that part of Westheimer. After all Westheimer is only a means to get from the Gaylaria to points west. Don't bother stopping anywhere in between. As for WalMart. They are a blight on any location. Does anyone have a pic of any WalMart that contributes positively to beauty of any area?

I've guess you haven't seen Wal-Marts in part of upscale areas in Atlanta or Florida. The parking lot is full of trees and the front is not the typical blue.

I don't know for sure but I would be interested to know if those locations have something called zoning, which is unknown in Houston. God forbid that our taxes go up because property values increase because they become for astheticly pleasing as a result of zoning requirements.

I think it's a natural consequence of having a major "strip" in a major, car-oriented city, so to speak. I recall South Dixie Highway (US 1) in Miami. Some of it looks nice but some parts look just like Westheimer between Fountainview and Tanglewilde--not dirty so much as it looks run-of-the-mill.

Los Angeles has some highways that look the same way. In fact, some stretches of Venice Blvd. look flat out dumpy, rivaling stuff that you see on Telephone Road.

Preston Road in Dallas is the same way--some parts look nice while others look pretty ho-hum and aged.

That said, I agree that the COH should at the least plant some palms or sequoias intermittenly along the medians between WC and Uptown.

Atascocita has a nice Wal-Mart, and they did a great job of keeping the trees.

And it's clean and everyone who shops there speaks English.

Go figure!

Sounds like Mecca.

Yeah, but isnt that the store where they killed that guy by sitting on his chest for supposed shoplifting? (I'm no fan of walmart)

• 1 month later...
Once you get to the Gessner, it gets a little better - but only to Kirkwood. The Westchase group planted a bunch of trees in the center medians. Give them about 20 years and we'll start to see a little canopy action like Main St. has.

I wish the city would continue the trend and plant trees all the way to 610 heading east and to highway 6 heading west. On a somewhat unrelated note, I use 1093 (what Westeimer turns into outside highway 6) to come into the city. I always thought it would be cool for the city to put up some sort of cool looking sign welcoming you to Houston there at highway 6. This could be done at a few different major intersections on the outskirts of the city.

I think the welcome sign should say, "Hello Katy folks! Welcome to the Westchase District of Crime and Immorality! Come visit our exciting apartment complexes with murders, carjackings and crime investigations scheduled daily for the family."

Then they also need street signs with symbols for "gay male prostitute crossing" and maybe some historic markers that help tourists find meth and crack apartments.

I think the welcome sign should say, "Hello Katy folks! Welcome to the Westchase District of Crime and Immorality! Come visit our exciting apartment complexes with murders, carjackings and crime investigations scheduled daily for the family."

Then they also need street signs with symbols for "gay male prostitute crossing" and maybe some historic markers that help tourists find meth and crack apartments.

Wow. :mellow:

• 10 months later...

I have nothing against Westheimer simply cause I like the road, but the median has that sprawl influenced plainess to it. You can see why TxDot never plants trees in grassy medians of divided highways in the rural areas. In the case of Houston and Westheimer, that's pretty much a bad influence. I suggest that since Westheimer west of the Galleria is under control of TxDot, that TxDot should give up control of Westheimer and let Houston take over the maintenance of the widest street in the city. Since TxDot doesn't care about greenery at all, Houston should have Westheimer in its control so that they can close the inside lanes for months to tear up the median and plant trees in the median. Kno what I'm sayin? After all, it is called Farm Road 1093 inside a urban but not truely urban setting. As for Uptown, I haven't been there in two months but last time I noticed the median was toe up from Sage to Post Oak. Info on this anyone? :mellow:

yeah, It't funny how there are no sign saying it is FM 1093, except the exit on the Loop to says FM 1093

Well, not in Uptown. I don't start seeing the sign markers for Ten-Ninety-Three until I get somewhere past Chimney Rock. But I think a sign post belongs to 1093 in front of the Galleria going east b4 Post Oak contained it because it was a mile post (with the highway marker right on top, like the ones U see on 59).

But I think a sign post belongs to 1093 in front of the Galleria going east b4 Post Oak contained it because it was a mile post (with the highway marker right on top, like the ones U see on 59).

Don't forget about the reference to Fulshear! :lol:

Don't forget about the reference to Fulshear! :lol:

The developers won't let you forget about Fulshear. They're ripping up the 1093 countryside all the way into the Fulshear city limits. Houston's suburban sprawl is about to taint that once peaceful little community.

The developers won't let you forget about Fulshear. They're ripping up the 1093 countryside all the way into the Fulshear city limits. Houston's suburban sprawl is about to taint that once peaceful little community.

I like this guy, you should read the book in my signature!

Thanks fasinating read. I drive the far west reaches of this drag every day and it is sometimes that, a drag.

These guys nailed almost everything they failed to mention the the curious Royal Oaks area sitting in the midst of low income apartments. Rajun Cajun is one of my favorite stops on this trek. But I wouldn't dare it on foot

I just close my eyes when I drive down that part of Westheimer. After all Westheimer is only a means to get from the Gaylaria to points west. Don't bother stopping anywhere in between. As for WalMart. They are a blight on any location. Does anyone have a pic of any WalMart that contributes positively to beauty of any area?

I certainly hope not! :lol:

Archived