Light Rail

Talbot

I think the next segment is not scheduled to start until late 2005 or early 2006 and a lot of details need to be ironed out before then. I think the commuter rail proposals that have been popping up lately are more intriguing. They seem to have bipartisan support and will use mostly existing rail. I'm not sure if there is a defined timeline on those yet.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't sure to where to put this. I know there is a lot of debate over the benefits of Light Rail in Houston right now. This is an article from Dallas Morning News concerning mostly Dart, but I think would be very applicable to Metro Rail as well.

Housing demand near DART rail could soar

12:03 AM CST on Friday, November 19, 2004

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

The shopping list for home buyers hasn't changed much in decades

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that if Metro wants to save money then they should start using all of the old abandoned rail lines around Houston. If you drive around town you will see that many of the original trolley lines are still in place. It would not take much to put them back in use with little impact to the areas around them. In fact if the lines are built I am pretty sure the areas will quickly improve in appearance and style.

Why build new trackage rights when we still have lots of places we can still use.

Houston in the early 1900 to the 1940's had an extensive light rail system. Much of this is still in place. So lets redevelop this before we start to build new lines.

I feel that if Metro wants to save money then they should start using all of the old abandoned rail lines around Houston. If you drive around town you will see that many of the original trolley lines are still in place. It would not take much to put them back in use with little impact to the areas around them. In fact if the lines are built I am pretty sure the areas will quickly improve in appearance and style.

Why build new trackage rights when we still have lots of places we can still use.

Houston in the early 1900 to the 1940's had an extensive light rail system. Much of this is still in place. So lets redevelop this before we start to build new lines.

Uh...no it's not. There is literally NO remnants of Houston's original trolley lines left. In fact, that is one of the main points in the introduction of the book "Houston electric": a book dedicated to the history of the old streetcars in Houston. The author makes the point that Houston is one if not the only city in the U.S. where all of the streetcar infrastructure had been removed, making the authoring of the book more difficult. A main reason for this is that the steel from the tracks was recycled for the efforts of World War II. I highly recommend that book to anyone on this forum. It has some great history and some great black and white photos.

Even if there WERE existing lines, they would be incompatible with existing light-rail technology. They would have to be torn down and re-built anyways.

Ah, I see, now. The North Hardy Corridor will handle the literally hundreds of commuters from Northline Mall to Downtown and all points in-between. That’s really gonna serve a huge chunk of Houston, ain’t it?

I'm baffled too on that one, but I'm assuming there is some logical reason for it, I just haven't investigated. I know that there are redevelopment plans for the North Main area so they might be anticipating that to some extent, or it might connect to the airport line, I don't know. Or, perhaps they're anticipating the 1 million new, illegal aliens due to arrive in the next 20 years and figure they'll need a smooth way to get Downtown so they can connect to another line taking them to Durham Dr, where they can line the streets waiting for work.

(If you're interested in attending one of the NCC meetings, here is a notice. The meetings are welcome to all interested participants and I'm sure they would welcome your participation and interest in the topic.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our meeting schedule for 2005 begins on January 18th.

Our agenda for the New Year will include monitoring and advocacy regarding

I'm baffled too on that one, but I'm assuming there is some logical reason for it, I just haven't investigated. I know that there are redevelopment plans for the North Main area so they might be anticipating that to some extent, or it might connect to the airport line, I don't know. Or, perhaps they're anticipating the 1 million new, illegal aliens due to arrive in the next 20 years and figure they'll need a smooth way to get Downtown so they can connect to another line taking them to Durham Dr, where they can line the streets waiting for work.

I think the main reason for it is that the area immediately north of downtown is ripe for redevelopment, and business interests want to see the line extended to IAH as soon as possible. Personally, I would have focused on connected Greenway and Westheimer first, then Hobby airport.

The NCC was formed because business interests in the north part of town felt their collective voices were not being heard down at METRO headquarters, so they formed their own group to advance their positions. No different than what Cy-Fair Chamber of Commerce is doing, or the West Houston Association or the North Houston Association. They band together, throw money at the problem and METRO and TxDOT sit up and pay attention. Works like a charm every time.

I have been thinking a great deal about the proposed light rail project to Northline mall. At first glance this project seems quite absurd because of the limited number of commuters it would serve. It makes me wonder about the reasoning behind this decision. If my conclusions are correct, I

Uh...no it's not.  There is literally NO remnants of Houston's original trolley lines left.  In fact, that is one of the main points in the introduction of the book "Houston electric": a book dedicated to the history of the old streetcars in Houston.  The author makes the point that Houston is one if not the only city in the U.S. where all of the streetcar infrastructure had been removed, making the authoring of the book more difficult.  A main reason for this is that the steel from the tracks was recycled for the efforts of World War II.  I highly recommend that book to anyone on this forum. It has some great history and some great black and white photos.

Even if there WERE existing lines, they would be incompatible with existing light-rail technology.  They would have to be torn down and re-built anyways.

I do have this book and I have talked to the author a few times. yes the rails have been removed. yes much of the lines are now gone and yes quite a bit of it woudl not be compatible with todays needs but much of the old rightaways are still there. The main one that is still in existance that surprised me was the old Harrisburg line. There are a few others as well if you just know where to look. I used the book to find many of them.

Unfortunatly many of the pictures are all from the down area. Not much in the way of pictures survived from the out lying areas.

What they can do is do like they did in Peoples town here in Atlanta near the Baseball stadium is for the city to help re-vitalize it and assume some of tax base so therefore those residents that are already there can feel only the positive affects and then the new residents that come in pay to live in the revitalized area and the old residents help puch out undesirables which pushes up the value of the land and makes it possible for long time residents to keep there property and the renters are locked into there basic rates. In this area they help clean up there neigborhood and had a deal with the City Council as well as the landlords that rent would not go up on long time renters.

That's just my thinking.

One of the light rail lines (Harrisburg) will follow part of the old Harrisburg streetcar route.

Wow. I have not seen any of the new Metro maps as of yet but if anyone has one I would love to see it. I have also found a few of the other old road beds as well. Not much left in the downtown area. But quiet a few in the surrounding areas outside of the downtown area. Such as the old Preston Underpass that was back filled in around 10 or more years ago. The entrance and road are still there just unuseable now.

Current pictures of the Preston St Underpass.

Looking south from down town. The railroad tracks pass over the old tunnel.

Looking North at down town from the other side of the old tunnel. Old Harrisburg St. #1

Looking North at Downtown at the old tunnel entrance on old Hassisburg. The tracks run over head.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody know anything about the route of the Wheeler/Westpark line? I've heard that it might use a "59 and Westpark" alignment, i suppose in that empty space on the south side of the freeway, maybe, but it seems to me that a line west down Richmond might be better -- there'd be places to walk to and from, instead of a roaring freeway between the train and local destinations (I am guessing that more people from the north, apartment-y side of the freeway will use the train than will from the south, mansion-y side.) and it seems that the Richmond gate in the 527 wall is the only place to get through, anyway? Richmond could use a little revitalization down here on the east end...

The route is still up in the air as to where it would go.

One of the options include it going down the south part of the freeway as you mentioned, but there would be no stops until it reaches the wheeler station.

The other option is to turn onto Richmond at either Buffelo Speedway, or Shepherd and go down Richmond and put a stop or two along that route before hitting the Wheeler station.

There are other options to serve GWP while still staying on westpark and those are still under discussion.

Ricco

lmao, thats something that I mentioned in another thread. It angers me how we get no funding from the gov., we really need Culberson and Delay out of office. I pointed out how stupid it was that cities that just built their lines are already getting extension, but we havent gotten one yet and our line has been in exsistance for almost a year now.

EDIT: If what you heard about 2007 is true, than that is just completely insane.

It's definetly a funding issue. METRO can't afforsd to continue to build light rail without the assistance of federal funds. The 2007 date is just an estimate. If there are any more delays in funding, you can bet that it will be pushed back even further.

I could be wrong about the schedule, but from what I understand, the initial construction for the north section of the line is supposed to start either late this year or early next year and be in operation by 08. The east side line is supposed to start in 07 and be completed in 09. I'm just going by memory, so I'm sure someone out there can clarify or correct me on this.

I know that at one point of the extentions, one line will open every year sometime after 08 as multiple lines will be under vairous states of construction at the same time.

Ricco

The current Metro light rail build-out schedule is as follows (years listed are the years in which service is schedule to start, taken from Metro's web site):

2009: North Extension (University of Houston-Downtown to Northline Mall)

2010: Southeast Line (Downtown to Griggs at Loop 610)

2011: Harrisburg Line (Dowling to the Magnolia Transit Center)

2013: Westpark Line (Wheeler Station to the Hillcroft Transit Center)

This is the "First 10-Year Program" of the 25-year Metro Solutions program. Nothing is scheduled yet beyond the four extensions above and of course this schedule is subject to change due to funding, litigation, etc.

http://www.ridemetro.org/motion/solutions/plan/tenyear.asp

-Eric

The current Metro light rail build-out schedule is as follows (years listed are the years in which service is schedule to start, taken from Metro's web site):

2009: North Extension (University of Houston-Downtown to Northline Mall)

2010: Southeast Line (Downtown to Griggs at Loop 610)

2011: Harrisburg Line (Dowling to the Magnolia Transit Center)

2013: Westpark Line (Wheeler Station to the Hillcroft Transit Center)

This is the "First 10-Year Program" of the 25-year Metro Solutions program.  Nothing is scheduled yet beyond the four extensions above and of course this schedule is subject to change due to funding, litigation, etc.

http://www.ridemetro.org/motion/solutions/plan/tenyear.asp

-Eric

Thanks for that link. I had been looking for something just like that.

Archived