Revival House Theatre

Reefmonkey

Of course I know the Landmark River Oaks, and it’s defunct sister location in Greenway Plaza have always occasionally shown old films, and then there’s Rice U’s theatre, but I was wondering if there ever were any true dedicated revival house theatres in Houston? I can imagine, Houston being Houston, if there were, they all died out in the 80s when everyone got VCRs.  

Not a standalone revival theater, but the MFAH's film program is by far the premier repertory program in town, and has been for a long time. Its Brown Auditorium is a world-class screening room that has top-tier equipment, highly qualified staff, and impeccable presentation standards. They are just about to start a Bergman retro (with a few screenings held at Rice as well) in observance of Bergman's centennial. 

Edit: I guess I need to read for content closer, as I missed the important detail that you were asking if there *were* any  other former revival houses. Others will no doubt chime in, but I think the Park I, II, and III on W. Gray (where Sur La Table is now) used to have a revival program, and there was also the Al Ray on Fulton. 

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

. . . the MFAH's film program is by far the premier repertory program in town, and has been for a long time. Its Brown Auditorium is a world-class screening room that has top-tier equipment, highly qualified staff, and impeccable presentation standards. They are just about to start a Bergman retro (with a few screenings held at Rice as well) in observance of Bergman's centennial. 

Like.

I thought you guys would be interested in the Chronicle obituary of local movie-house mogul Al Zarzana from 2009. He was the "Al" in the Al*Ray's name. The other half was his partner Ray Boriski. Al and Ray bought and renamed the old Lindale Theater on Fulton in 1960 with the goal of making it a showplace for foreign films. For many years the Al*Ray and the Delman were the only places in town that showed foreign films on a regular basis. I had the pleasure of knowing Al back in the day and he was quite a guy.

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2009/11/obituary-al-zarzana-73-theater-owner/

On 8/26/2018 at 5:05 PM, FilioScotia said:

I thought you guys would be interested in the Chronicle obituary of local movie-house mogul Al Zarzana from 2009. He was the "Al" in the Al*Ray's name. The other half was his partner Ray Boriski. They bought and renamed the old Lindale Theater on Fulton in 1960 with the goal of making it a showplace for foreign films. For many years the Al*Ray and the Delman were the only places in town that showed foreign films on a regular basis. I had the pleasure of knowing Al back in the day and he was quite a guy.

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2009/11/obituary-al-zarzana-73-theater-owner/

Thanks for posting that. I never knew Al, but was acquainted with his sons, who were classmates when I was in junior high and high school. 

• The title was changed to Revival House Theatre

Archived