Extension Of Woodlands Parkway?

ConstructionManagerMAS

I read something in a recent East 1488 Community Association newsletter about Montgomery County possibly starting to acquire the right-of-way to extend Woodlands Parkway westfrom FM2978 to FM 149. I'd never heard of this before and it appears to be a county thing, I suppose to provide more access to that area west of The Woodlands and south of FM1488. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Yes,

It'll happen. It part of the Montgomery County Pass Through Programs. In the next 10-15 years, you'll be seeing many road improvement projects throughout the south portion of the county.

• 2 weeks later...
I read something in a recent East 1488 Community Association newsletter about Montgomery County possibly starting to acquire the right-of-way to extend Woodlands Parkway westfrom FM2978 to FM 149. I'd never heard of this before and it appears to be a county thing, I suppose to provide more access to that area west of The Woodlands and south of FM1488. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

This is correct, according to County Commissioner Craig Doyle at the Magnolia Chamber luncheon. Ultimately it would go all the way to FM 249. Also, he announced that Kuykendahl would finally be punched through at FM 1488, that a toll fly over would be put at I-45 and FM 242 (no toll booth), Fishcreek would be made to four lanes and bypass Honea Egypt Rd. from FM 1488 to FM 2854 just before Lake Conroe. There was also mention of Research Forest eventually be put through to FM 1488 as well. The first two projects were to be the 5 lane expansion of FM 1488, construction beginning Jan. 2006 and Fishcreek, construction beginning as early as Dec. 2005. The bonds were approved back in the Sept. election to complete all of the work mentioned, the ball is rolling now!

The TXDOT website still shows that the 1488 widening will be let (tentatively) in June, 2006. Wonder if that will be moved up? The 1488 Project Number is 0523-10-015. You can search for it on the TXDOT website.

Well they already need to widen the intersection of 1488 and 2978, like RIGHT now. Its getting really hairy there. ALso, I certainly hope they widen 2978 near the Parkway. That Walmart is going to cause major traffic jams if it stays the way it is.

The TXDOT website still shows that the 1488 widening will be let (tentatively) in June, 2006. Wonder if that will be moved up? The 1488 Project Number is 0523-10-015. You can search for it on the TXDOT website.

You could be right, you know how politicians can be. When I heard him speak he was extremely optimistic that construction would begin late 2005 or early 2006. Can't come soon enough. The retailers aren't waiting so it's gonna be a mess for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi Daisy & Welcome to the forum!

You might try this:

www.h-gac.com

mouse over the word Departments

click on Transportation

click on Regional Transportation Plan

this pulls up the RTP viewer

type in Street Name

Under Project Type All

Great site! I find it hard to believe that they aren't going to widen 2978 next the the Walmart for several years. Its going to be a nightmare keeping it a two lane country road.

• 3 months later...
Just checked the TXDOT website again. The FM1488 widening date has been slipping. Now I see that the bid date was slipped off the end of the FY2006 letting schedule (so the bid date is no sooner than fall of this year). So much for politicians' promises.

Wow. That's a same because during rush hour and weekends, 1488 is completely back up at the 2978 intersection.

2978 turning into Woodlands Parkway is backed up to Tomball as far as the eye can see. Well, at least we can use that big old honking Walmart parking lot to cut through. :D

Just checked the TXDOT website again. The FM1488 widening date has been slipping. Now I see that the bid date was slipped off the end of the FY2006 letting schedule (so the bid date is no sooner than fall of this year). So much for politicians' promises.

I just ran into County Commissioner Craig Doyle at a restaurant on FM 1488 and he said the clearing of the right of ways (signage, lights, etc.) is set to begin May/June. He said it had been pushed back one month but the May/June timeframe was looking solid. We'll see.

• 8 months later...

Well, ROW clearing on the first part of the FM1488 widening is done. Let's see if they can get the telephone and cable lines relocated before they just build the highway around them.

As a note, it appears from the commissioner's court meeting minutes that there is a design contract already underway for the widening of 2978 from 1488 south to the Harris County line. Didn't see anything about construction funding though (looks to be another pass-through tolling project however). Some of the new Woodlands homes being built north of Woodlands Parkway already back up very close to 2978, so those buyers will have a nice four lane highway right behind their back fence.

Coming back from the 1488 Home Depot during the mid-morning 2978 was a slow,solid and steady stream of cars. What a big change from 2 years ago. They really do need to get on the ball and make it widder, or at least put in a north bound, right turn lane onto the Parkway.

Its unfortunate that The WDC couldn't make a really nice, mini-market street feel along that portion of 2978. Heck, they don't even have a nice 'Woodlands" entrance sign at the intersection. I mean, it is an entrance into the Woodlands now. The general feeling in the area is that it has been forgotten. I see it going the way of 1960 with the type of things being built. Once again, its too bad that the WDC couldn't create something wonderful. Instead they have CHOSEN to leave it behind to development of the zoneless ordinary.

PS- Another question. Why are there above ground power poles all throughout the West Woodlands, along the Parkway and into the southern neighborhoods. Isn't one of the big selling points to have buried power lines?

PS- Another question. Why are there above ground power poles all throughout the West Woodlands, along the Parkway and into the southern neighborhoods. Isn't one of the big selling points to have buried power lines?

Katy, a good question! The Woodlands has had one really big confrontation with Entergy on power lines in Indian Springs. The Woodlands took it to court and won. Centergy argued that it costs too much to bury the lines. We fought back with safety issues and proved that it really does not cost more in the long run. The lines in that part of The Woodlands had no constituents to fight the issue as well as I recall. It was all about timing. To residences, yes the staretgy is to put them underground but the main lines? I am afriad that utility companies have unbelievable power granted by the Texas Legislature to get their way. It takes a lot of money to challenge them.

Archived