Is Randall's Grocery Stores Going To Go Away?

Said Mark Hamstra, retail editor at Supermarket News, a trade publication, "It's widely thought in the industry that Safeway didn't manage its acquisition of Randalls well at first, and since it's such a competitive field, it's very difficult to play catch-up once you've fallen behind."

i guess that sums it all up :mellow:

• Like 1

i guess that sums it all up :mellow:

You bet. Safeway really sucks. Always had. They failed when they were in Houston originally. Couldn't compete with Randalls. When the Randall family decided to sell out, they sold to Safeway. Since safeway took over Randalls they pretty much ran it inot the ground. Crappy service - Crappy selection. Folks voted with their feet. It was only a matter of time since Safeway took over.

Then their is this quote:

"The Pleasanton, Calif.-based grocer is focusing its efforts on its "lifestyle remodel" program that includes the introduction of more upscale products."

Upscale products is code for higher prices for fancier packaging. As if prices weren't increasing enough on their own. Just another reason I haven't been in a Randalls in years....and won't soon start.

I agree, randalls just sucks now. The only thing I really like from there are their french baguettes. They scrapped Boar's head meats for their own safeway line and that was basically what did it for me not really buying anything there. Their prices always sucked, the refused to modernize, no lines were open during rush times (which led to the lack of rush times as well). I know people are split on whether or not the self checkout is worth using, but if I need just one thing, usually its faster to go through there than wait on some 16 year old in training.

I agree HEB is my favorite, but I don't mind a signature kroger, and then also Central Market for the specialty things, which is of course owned by HEB. Not sure how that new Super Target will be near the Heights.

We shopped the Midtown Randalls becuase Disco Kroger is WAY too dirty.

But I knew things were bad when all the Safeway products started making their way onto the shelves.

I'll take HEB any day of the week vs. all of the other.

The disco Kroger had a makeover and is a little nicer now. HEB is the best. Just wish they had a nice new one in the Heights area.

Well, they're just a little too slow with introducing those "upscale products" 'cause when they took over, I never saw them! The old Randall's was run RIGHT and is what made them #1 in this market--the fact that Safeway bought them and they dropped to #4 should have told them something a long time ago.

A bit like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The old model worked....the Onstead family should have held on a little longer. I bet HEB would have bought them.

The two Randall's that Safeway remodeled last year into the new concept are really nice stores, but it was too late and too little to recover from the damage that was done in the early days of the Safeway takeover.

I do miss the days when Randall's was locally owned, and had great management that did things like making sure all checkout lines were open during the busiest times of day. I think there is a place for a more upscale grocery concept between the discounters that stock nothing more than the basics and the really upscale like Whole Foods and Central Market. Maybe Randall's can recapture this position if Safeway acts quickly to fix some of its problems here and gets the stores that aren't closing remodeled into the new concept VERY quickly. But if they can't pull that off, then count on more Randall's closings, and eventually, the death of the chain.

A bit off topic, but not much since we are still talking grocery stores....anyone know the story of Sellers Bros.? Who owns it and how long has it been around?

I had never been to one of them until last month and I was pleasantly surprised. I went to the one at Stella Link and S. Braeswood. The store size is not like an HEB warehouse where you walk a 1/4 mile to get frozen goods on the other side of the store. The thing of most note was how many employees were on the sales floor. In produce there were 3 guys working. I saw 2 others in other aeras. Considering the fact that the total sq. footage of the store is probably around 10,000 this was amazing.

I don't usually do the shopping in my house so I don't know what prices were like compared to other stores. Overall it was good and a nice throwback to the days when stores were a sane size.

Westheimer and Dairy Ashford Randalls is going byebye. so much for another grocery store in that area (Krogers moved out long ago)

So all that's left is "Spirit" halloween store AND Petsmart as major stores and "Mi Amigos"

So where are people in that area to go shopping.HEB, SuperWalmart?

Convert that Randalls to a CLEANER bigger TARGET!!!!! with food!

I've heard its 26 Randall's Stores.

The one over here in front of Longwood is a beautiful store with a stone facade. Built not too long ago. It's closing. (I would love to see an HEB move in, but doubt it'll happen)

Very sad. What will become of all of these hulking stores (Randall's, Eckerd's, Albertson's, old Wal-Marts)? Are these deep-pocketed companies, simply going to sit on these properties and refuse to allow a competitor to move in? Meanwhile we have huge dead retail (that could flourish) sitting in front of our neigborhoods?

Is there some sort of law that can restrict this kind of thing?

Edited by mrfootball

Our local Randall's (Meyer Park) has already been converted to the "Lifestyle" format.

What's it like?

Try to imagine a Kroger Signature store with much, much dimmer lighting and much, much higher prices.

:P:P:P I stopped shopping at Randalls years ago when it became apparent to me I was more likely to be charged a higher price than that advertised or posted on the shelves at Randalls than at all other chains combined.

I understood that Randalls really botched the takeover of Collum (?) of Dallas, especially in Central Texas. If they were so well run, why did they have to bring in the Japanese takeover firm and then sell to Safeway? I suspect the chain was going downhill for a long time before the Onstead's bailed and they didn't have much choice in the matter.

A bit off topic, but not much since we are still talking grocery stores....anyone know the story of Sellers Bros.? Who owns it and how long has it been around?

I had never been to one of them until last month and I was pleasantly surprised. I went to the one at Stella Link and S. Braeswood. The store size is not like an HEB warehouse where you walk a 1/4 mile to get frozen goods on the other side of the store. The thing of most note was how many employees were on the sales floor. In produce there were 3 guys working. I saw 2 others in other aeras. Considering the fact that the total sq. footage of the store is probably around 10,000 this was amazing.

I don't usually do the shopping in my house so I don't know what prices were like compared to other stores. Overall it was good and a nice throwback to the days when stores were a sane size.

Don't know anything about them but I'll have to try that one. I used to have an HEB Pantry within a mile and I loved it for most shopping, with an occasional trip to Kroger Sig or CM for specialty items. I prefer to make several small trips rather than one big one. Now, there's an HEB Warehouse about 10 miles round trip. When you're shopping for one and buying mainly perishable fresh produce, bread, meats, etc., rather than a basketfull of canned stuff, warehouse stores are a big pain in the ___

That Seller Brothers is horrible! (well the location isn't the best either). I have a backpack purse and they told me to leave it at customer service. Not like I was going to steal anything but I guess in that neighborhood they weren't taking chances. I usually go to the little dollar store next door for a phone card.

The Randalls on Westheimer/Dairy Ashford wasn't too bad either. It was pretty big and not at all dumpy. It will be weird to see it gone.

Randalls had good selections but horrible high prices.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get all this stuff about merchandise in Randall's being ridiculously priced. I've never felt like they were overcharging me, and I've never noticed much, if any, difference in my grocery bill when shopping at a Randall's versus HEB. Maybe it's just the stuff I buy.

omg! Randalls is horribly overpriced. What do you buy when you go to Randalls?

I can spent $15 on 5-10 items at HEB and spend on the same 5-10 items $45-50 at Randalls.

HEB is really cheap on the basics, but if you want anything else, other than what is an advertised special that week, then you pay for it.

I have found that my bill is cheaper at Kroger's...for my regular product mix.

And my bill at Randall's is outrageous...well the last time I went there...maybe a year ago.

I think it just depends on what you buy and what brands you buy...or won't buy.

Closest Kroger's to me is near Gessner..too far to travel. HEB is across the street and Randalls (on both ends I got Dairy Ashford or Wilcrest)

but for small food stores.. "Food Town" is also pretty reasonable! I go there in Sugar Land.

if anyone has gone to Food Town on Eldridge in Sugar Land. Check out the cashiers hair. Her name is "Deb". Its like something that came out of the 80's. (the hair!)

its VERY recognizable!

Yeah, the Randall's near me did not close. A whole bunch of grocery stores are near where I live. This includes:

* 2 Randall's

* 2 Krogers

* 1 Rice

* 1 Whole Foods

* 1 Fiesta

* 1 Davis Food City

* 1 Seller Brothers

Edited by VicMan

omg! Randalls is horribly overpriced. What do you buy when you go to Randalls?

I can spent $15 on 5-10 items at HEB and spend on the same 5-10 items $45-50 at Randalls.

Well these days I don't do a lot of grocery shopping because it's just not worth it when you're home only two or three nights a week. But back in the days when I had the time to cook most nights I bought a lot of raw ingredients and tried to focus on organics and healthier items as much as possible. So that's probably why I didn't see much price difference, because I wasn't shopping based on price as much as I was on quality. I used to also be a big coupon shopper, and with a Randall's card and double and triple coupons, prices on the everyday advertised items (the ones where stores try to undercut each other and compete on price) aren't so bad at Randall's. I also shopped a lot at the Westchase/Royal Oaks HEB after it opened when I lived in Westchase. I refused to go in the nasty HEB Pantry it replaced, and I don't shop in Wal-Mart for a variety of other reasons that are apparent if you do a search on this board. But I rarely saw much difference between the cost of my shopping at the Westchase Randall's versus the HEB a mile down the street. Honestly, most stores are going to charge about the same price on 85-90% of their products, because those items aren't considered to be as price sensitive. The other 10-15% of inventory are the items where people compare prices and have a better idea of what something "should" cost. Those are also the items that get heavily advertised.

I do miss having a nice HEB in my neighborhood now. They do carry some great products that aren't available elsewhere. And their newer, non-Pantry stores are very nice and well-kept. I do venture out to the Westheimer/Fountainview store on occassion, even though it's a bit of a drive just to buy groceries.

Most of my shopping now is at Randall's, Whole Foods, and Central Market -- but as I said, I don't do a lot of grocery shopping these days in Houston since I spend more nights in other cities than I do at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me save you a trip. I live very close to the Sellers Brothers and wont step foot in there. It's scary. Our neighborhood, which is comprised of homes ranging from 250K-700K, is trying very hard to get a better store in there. That whole block is scary and I don't know who shops there but I wish they would quit! I predict a Starbucks coming... (oh wait, there's already one at Bellaire & Stella Link, but again, this is Starbucks we're talking about). You know, this IS Houston. No zoning mecca. HEB is the way to go.

As reported in the Chronicle: (link)

It seems excessive, but then I feared this would happen when I watched all the customers head to HEB.

Eegads, I can't stand HEB. Its all generic brands and I've had 4 rotten meat experiences there. I have no sense of smell, so one incident sent me to the ER. Fortunately the other 3 times people were there to smell it.

Strange they can't carry the same quality meats and produce as their Central MArket locations.

Kroger is ok, but the produce is awful.

I shop the Randalls up here. There really isn't much choice for me, pay a little more or puke.

Well, they're just a little too slow with introducing those "upscale products" 'cause when they took over, I never saw them! The old Randall's was run RIGHT and is what made them #1 in this market--the fact that Safeway bought them and they dropped to #4 should have told them something a long time ago.

A bit like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The old model worked....the Onstead family should have held on a little longer. I bet HEB would have bought them.

Are they closing the one at Voss and Woodway? The employees really made that store. They all stayed after the buyout.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Here's my secret source for good, fresh produce: Spec's in Midtown. I know it sounds weird but they have the freshest vegetables we've found-and usual comparable-if not a little cheaper than Randalls and Kroger.

I've asked the guys there where they buy their produce but they play dumb...I would too!

B)

• 1 year later...

RUMOR

A source that services the grocery industry tells me that Randall's is suffering and may be re-evaluating the midtown location. Has anyone else heard anything? That would be a major blow to DT/MT residential if that were to close. I'm thinking Kroger on West Gray or Fiesta on Fannin are the closest grocers otherwise? I can't imagine that would stay vacant too long until Kroger or HEB moved in. It is always busy when I go there.

if they are having problems why would you expect kroger or HEB to move in?

I don't know how these things are done, but maybe it would be cheaper for another chain because they wouldn't have the leftover debt from building the store in the first place?

Or if the building is owned by a developer, maybe a new store would be in a stronger position to negotiate lower lease rates from the building owner since it seems to be a building that is pretty custom-designed for grocery use.

Again, it's obvious that I'm not in real estate. Perhaps someone who is can say something more intelligent.