Sign in to follow this  
westguy

Is Randall's going to go away?

On 1/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, cspwal said:

I think I would understand closing the other stores more if they were focusing on upgrading the remaining ones, but the evidence for that isn't really there.

They did update the store at 12850 Memorial Dr. recently.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:35 PM, Houston19514 said:

I think the answer to the OP's question is increasingly clear.  Yes, Randall's is actively dying and no, no one cares, not even Albertson's (the owner of Randalls). They apparently decided some years ago that they could not compete in Houston, so why even try?

Randalls to Close Five (more) Grocery Stores in Houston

This will leave them with 17 stores, down from 51 in 2005 (and 28 just a year ago).

Damnit!

• Like 1

I wonder who would possibly take over the Midtown Randalls when it closes? Great location for whoever. I shop there infrequently but I go by it on my commute home after work and it's great for getting a few things needed for cooking dinner. Kroger, Whole Foods, Fiesta and HEB have nearby stores, so Sprouts or Trader Joes seem likely candidates to me.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, hindesky said:

I wonder who would possibly take over the Midtown Randalls when it closes?

I'm still wondering what's going to take over the Shepherd Square (2075 Westheimer) location (unless something has slipped in there without my or HAIF's knowledge).

• Like 3

Target should do well there.  The problem with that Randall's wasn't the location - once upon a time it was busy - but Safeway's insistence on doing just about everything exactly the opposite way from previous management, with the exception of higher prices.

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Target should do well there.  The problem with that Randall's wasn't the location - once upon a time it was busy - but Safeway's insistence on doing just about everything exactly the opposite way from previous management, with the exception of higher prices.

Totally right.  Not only did Safeway do everything exactly the opposite way from previous management, they seem to do everything exactly the opposite way one would do if one wanted to stay in business. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Totally right.  Not only did Safeway do everything exactly the opposite way from previous management, they seem to do everything exactly the opposite way one would do if one wanted to stay in business. 

Thus demonstrating why they failed in this market at least twice, if not three times.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

whoa!!!! good for all the montrose folks! 

this was the smartest decision they could have made in my opinion! 

Edited by gene
fixed wording
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Aren't Safeways in other parts of the country usually pretty nice? They succeed in Northern California which must be really tough(high labor costs, unions, an affluent discerning clientele that probably wants to order everything for pickup, etc). Maybe there's something wrong with the expansion model they had or the division they grafted all the Houston stores onto.

I went to a Safeway in Denver once and it was pretty nice inside. Albertsons in contrast tend to be moo, I've never seen a "fancy" Albertsons store in the vein of a large H-E-B or Kroger Marketplace, they are always small, windowless beige boxes from the 1970s.

Albertsons-Safeway also owns United which is the dominant grocery chain in the Panhandle and those tend to be really great stores.

I just have a thing for grocery diversity. I hate to see chains back out of an area. Its too bad they couldn't make it. Hopefully a few stores last a few more years.

Edited by zaphod

On 4/26/2020 at 4:47 PM, zaphod said:

I went to a Safeway in Denver once and it was pretty nice inside. Albertsons in contrast tend to be moo, I've never seen a "fancy" Albertsons store in the vein of a large H-E-B or Kroger Marketplace, they are always small, windowless beige boxes from the 1970s.

Albertson's opened several new stores in Houston in 2000 that only lasted a couple of years before they pulled out of the market in 2002. I can't speak for all of them, but the one on TC Jester was quite large and nice, comparable to a current large H-E-B (but maybe not as "fancy"). 

https://houstonhistoricretail.com/grocery/albertsons/

My point of reference for Safeway stores is stuck in the 1970s, as that's when I frequented a couple of their stores here. I've never been to any of the newer, nicer Safeways in other cities. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I totally forgot about those Albertsons stores. I wasn't living in Houston at that time, I just remember seeing them sometimes when visiting family here. That explains the unusual design of a number of places around here.

Edited by zaphod

Posted (edited)

the Randall's at San Felipe and Sage isn't going anywhere anytime soon. they are in the process of completely redoing all their floors and should be done probably by the end of July. It actually looks really great too (looks to be vinyl flooring planks to simulate wood). i spoke to a manager on duty and he said he was aware of this thread and just laughed it off. 

(and again, i go this location often, mainly out of convenience since my condo is a block away and with my Randall's card i personally am happy with the pricing of the things i personally buy...plus i have been going here for 24 years so i just like the familiarity of it (and yes i love and do go to HEB and Central Market in Uptown area at times as well))

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

Oddly enough, I think the Coronavirus has been the saving grace of Randalls for 2020.

My friends mostly live in the suburbs and go to Kroger and HEB. Whereas I live off Westheimer and S. Gessner within walking distance of a Randalls, and driving distance of several other stores.

At least among the informal discussions with my friends: I was the first one to find Hand Sanitizer for sale, at Randalls (9660 Westheimer). Later I was the first to find Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) for sale, again at Randalls (12850 Memorial). I shop at both stores consistently.

I remember after Harvey too. I was living in the same area back then as well (Westchase). I drove first to the Kroger at 9919 Westheimer. The line literally snaked around behind the building, just to get inside. So I drove just a bit further to the Randalls. There, I could get inside right away, and they had fresh meat there, and some vegetables. I was able to pick some stuff up and then make the long awkward ~2.5 hour trek out to my mom's house. (She's around Beltway 8 and 1960, but I had to drive all the way out to the Grand Parkway just to cross the reservoirs).

I really do hope Randalls sticks around at least in some form. Reduction of competition has shown to be universally bad for the consumer.

• Like 2