Is Randall's Grocery Stores Going To Go Away?

I don't know if it has been mentioned previously, but I think the Spec's in Midtown is slowly taking away some of Randall's market share (I think this is a good thing - it will force Randall's to reevaluate its business model).

Spec's has a reasonablly priced produce section, a great deli, a nice selection of cheeses, and of course.......a lot of booze. I generally get my non-pershible products at Fiesta once a month (toothpaste, shampoo, mayo, etc.) and visit Spec's a few times a week in between. Its a nice balance and am starting to notice more people doing the same.

Why not MORE grocery stores in the loop open 24 hrs??!! Miss my 24 hr grocery stores on west coast!!!! But, I guess the answer to that from most on this noard would be..."GO BACK!"

I wish that there were more 24 hour stores too. Some stores that used to be 24 hours later switched to having store hours.

The following are still 24 hour stores:

* Kroger - 5130 Buffalo Speedway, Houston 77005

* Kroger - 1938 West Gray, Houston 77019

* Kroger - 3300 Montrose Boulevard, Houston 77006

* Kroger - 1990 Old Spanish Trail, Houston 77054

I wish that there were more 24 hour stores too. Some stores that used to be 24 hours later switched to having store hours.

The following are still 24 hour stores:

* Kroger - 5130 Buffalo Speedway, Houston 77005

* Kroger - 1938 West Gray, Houston 77019

* Kroger - 3300 Montrose Boulevard, Houston 77006

* Kroger - 1990 Old Spanish Trail, Houston 77054

The Kroger I shop at in the Heights (Shepard @ 11th) is open 24 hrs, too. :-)

I don't know if it has been mentioned previously, but I think the Spec's in Midtown is slowly taking away some of Randall's market share (I think this is a good thing - it will force Randall's to reevaluate its business model).

Spec's has a reasonablly priced produce section, a great deli, a nice selection of cheeses, and of course.......a lot of booze. I generally get my non-pershible products at Fiesta once a month (toothpaste, shampoo, mayo, etc.) and visit Spec's a few times a week in between. Its a nice balance and am starting to notice more people doing the same.

The Randalls on 528 and Bay Area Blvd closed down a while back and it just opened as a Specs. Gotta love the irony.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but Randall's is currently in the process of repainting and remodeling the interior of the Midtown location. It looks nice - I like the feaux hardwood flooring in the produce section.

Not sure what it means about the overall health of the location, but if this Randall's was performing very poorly Safeway would probably not be sinking money into its renovation.

24 hr. grocery shopping is too sketch for me. Can you really not wait until the sun rises for the can of corn?

It may come as a shock for a lot of people on the day-shift -- who think everybody in the world keeps the same hours they keep -- that there is a huge subculture of people who keep completely different hours.

There are day-people, like MidtownCoog and me, but there are also a helluva lot of night people out there who sleep during the day and work or stay up all night. Supermarkets and other retail outlets are wising up to that fact and that's why more and more stores are staying open 24-7.

I remember when the midtown Randall's opened way back when - my wife and I had just started dating then and she lived in midtown - and it was a big deal that there was going to be a grocery story downtown. But the parking situation sucked (the underground garage was a pain and the few spots in front were cramped and hard to get in and out of), the prices were high, and it was full of panhandlers. Granted, part of the "allure" of midtown was walking everywhere and living amongst panhandlers, but it has just never really clicked apart from the weekend nightclub scene.

Someone mentioned Specs - I have NEVER had a problem with panhandlers there, either in the parking lot or inside. But every other place in midtown seems to have a problem with thugs and street people. Why is Specs different?

I remember when the midtown Randall's opened way back when - my wife and I had just started dating then and she lived in midtown - and it was a big deal that there was going to be a grocery story downtown. But the parking situation sucked (the underground garage was a pain and the few spots in front were cramped and hard to get in and out of), the prices were high, and it was full of panhandlers. Granted, part of the "allure" of midtown was walking everywhere and living amongst panhandlers, but it has just never really clicked apart from the weekend nightclub scene.

Someone mentioned Specs - I have NEVER had a problem with panhandlers there, either in the parking lot or inside. But every other place in midtown seems to have a problem with thugs and street people. Why is Specs different?

Because Specs doesn't carry enough Boonesfarm or Maddog?. ;)

Edited by KatieDidIt

Every time I've been in Specs (and I won't say how, um, frequently that is :) ) there's a uniformed HPD in front. could that be the deterrent?

I like having the security guard at Randall's. The other night I went to the Midtown CVS, and a guy was right outside their doors asking for $. I told the woman at the checkout counter, and she knew who I was talking about. She said she didn't know why "they" didn't take care of the situation. Then he came inside, hung around. Doesn't CVS do anything about this? Maybe it was just that one time.

Randall's takes care of this issue.

I like having the security guard at Randall's. The other night I went to the Midtown CVS, and a guy was right outside their doors asking for $. I told the woman at the checkout counter, and she knew who I was talking about. She said she didn't know why "they" didn't take care of the situation. Then he came inside, hung around. Doesn't CVS do anything about this? Maybe it was just that one time.

a coworker was telling me that he was in the CVS drive-thru and a guy propositioned him. i guess this CVS offers an additional drive-thru "service"

Send a note to CVS Corporate offices nad tell them you will shop at Walgreens because there's no security at the Midtown CVS. That should get thier attention, especially if you tell them that your neighbors feel the same way.

I'm in the Randalls regularly to pick up after school snacks for my son. It's way better since they have full time security. when it opened, you always got hit up for cash. Of course by the time it opened, we had lived in Midtown for a few years and I was pretty good at getting rid of panhandlers.

a coworker was telling me that he was in the CVS drive-thru and a guy propositioned him. i guess this CVS offers an additional drive-thru "service"

As I said, people should bring cameras and/or cell phone cameras. This stuff will be comedy gold if uploaded to YouTube.

It may come as a shock for a lot of people on the day-shift -- who think everybody in the world keeps the same hours they keep -- that there is a huge subculture of people who keep completely different hours.

There are day-people, like MidtownCoog and me, but there are also a helluva lot of night people out there who sleep during the day and work or stay up all night. Supermarkets and other retail outlets are wising up to that fact and that's why more and more stores are staying open 24-7.

I work early mornings, afternoons, overnights... all different hours... it's great, you get the best of all worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Join us at the grand re-opening of your Houston Randalls...Saturday January 26th"

Sure doesn't sound like a business with any plans of going away. I've moved to the area recently and shopped there a couple of times and, I gotta say, I don't see what the fuss is all about...it seemed fine to me.

Edited by considering