This will be going up a few blocks down from the Holocaust Museum on Caroline

From the Asia Society of Texas Website:

Discover Asia without leaving the region. Asia Society Texas is your passport to Asia.

Asia Society Texas is in the early phases of a campaign to realize the dream of building the Asia House in Houston. Asia House, to be located in the museum district, will provide a focal point for Asia Society Texas and a place to showcase the Asian American community. Asia House will include gallery spaces for permanent and visiting exhibitions, public space for performances and lectures, a library, garden and more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Below is the story from the Houston Chronicle about the Asia House. I must say that if the Museum Districe is to become something truely special, these are the projects that must continue to be approved. Here it is and enjoy.

Nov. 11, 2004, 12:52AM

Architect will put his mark on Museum District

Taniguchi, noted for museums, will design Asia House

By PATRICIA C. JOHNSON and CLIFFORD PUGH

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

Sincerely,

caevans3

This one's only $30 million.  That's probably out of disappearing range.

Ya, I guess the MoMA has more art to display, a whole lot more!!! I've got big hopes, though, for the future of museum collections in Houston. Typically, it takes a several decades before collectors relinquish the goods to public museums, Houston museums will have a very steady and gacious stream of high art into the public galleries.

Nov. 11, 2004, 2:22AM

Architect will put his mark on Museum District

Taniguchi, noted for museums, will design Asia House

By PATRICIA C. JOHNSON and CLIFFORD PUGH

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Yoshio Taniguchi, whose expansion of the Museum of Modern Art in New York is receiving widespread acclaim, will design a building in Houston's Museum District for Asia Society Texas.

The $30 million project, to be called Asia House, will occupy the block bounded by Southmore, Austin, Caroline and Oakdale streets, near Holocaust Museum Houston.

It will be Taniguchi's first building outside his native Japan.

"We interviewed four firms, chose three and invited them to Houston to see the site," said project director Susannah Wong.

"Mr. Taniguchi was very gracious, and the chemistry was good. He was intrigued by the transformational neighborhood, the mix of old, new, business, residential."

The 67-year-old architect is known for his striking museums of modern art, including the Nagano Prefectural Shinano Art Museum, the Toyota Municipal Museum of Art in Toyota City and the Gallery of Horyuji Treasures at the Tokyo National Museum. He is working on an addition to the Kyoto National Museum.

Subtle structures

Taniguchi's signature is subtle, even self-effacing structures that don't overwhelm works of art. He reportedly received the MoMA commission after telling board members, "If you give me enough money, I'll design you a beautiful building. If you give me more, I'll make it disappear."

The $425 million MoMA expansion will open Nov. 20. The exhibit Yoshio Taniguchi: Nine Museums will be on display there through Jan. 31.

Plans for the Houston project call for a 28,000- to 30,000-square-foot museum with two galleries

Heh. Sounds like you need one of those power hoses, 2112.

I'm glad that decided to put the museum in the Museum District. While I'd like to see more cultural facilites placed downtown, something of this particular caliber needs to be on display where the best of Houston's museums are already located.

I'm anxious to see the final look of the facility once it's constructed.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. But I think this topic is still somewhat exciting.

I went to NYC in Janurary and visited the newly expanded MoMA. I also spent quite some time at Mr Taniguchi's Nine Museums Exhibition. I must say I came away very impressed and am very looking forward to this new building in the Museum District.

IMO Houston lacks diversity in architecture design, namely modern oriental design. With Asian being a strong community in the city, the city itself definitely needs a few good examples of Asian architecture. And that's exactly what Mr Taniguchi does best. I have not seen anyone else who could combine traditional oriental elements with minimalist so well.

The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that he's done so many museums and with a small budget like that, this one for us Houstonians might end up being a not-so-special-one compared to his other works. Let's hope he pulls it off

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
No information on this one for some time. Any new info?

Thanks for making me look this up.

060302asia_4lg.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/da.../060302asia.asp

Dated March 2, 2006

Taniguchi's $40 million, 35,000-square-foot Houston project (RECORD, January, 2005, page 34), set to open in 2010, is still in pre-schematic design stages. But models show that it will likely include some of Taniguchi's signature elements, including a long, rectilinear building fitted with large, flat overhangs, overlooking a rectangular pool. The pool, large windows, and two gardens, says project development director Margaret Bott, will utilize Taniguchi's ability to "create nature in the building." The structure will include a 300-seat theater, a caf

Edited by Lowbrow