Midtown Collection: Retail Center At 2101 Smith St.

midtownguy

There's a sign at the corner of Grey and Smith, advertising the new building they're putting in. Right under that, it says "Coming soon", and has the logos of Starbucks and Quiznos. I dismissed it right away, assuming that the Starbucks would be one of those fake, mini-set ups like they have in Randalls.

Nope. Sources have confirmed that it'll be a full-fledged Starbucks. An entire store.

Is this cool or what? Personally, I can't stand Starbucks (I prefer independent coffee shops), but I can't deny what a Starbucks means for a neighborhood. They don't build stores unless they see a future in a place. And, other major companies will see that Starbucks and Bw3 are there, and jump in eventually, too.

So, this is pretty amazing. I'd just about given up on Midtown. But it looks like it's slowly going someplace.

I'd say it's excellent news, but I will withhold judgement until we see the business hours. So many 'bucks are only open 8-4 Monday through Saturday it's rediculous. What's the point of putting it in a neighborhood if the people who live there can't patronize your business?

I'll try to find out the hours, but this is a big deal for the neighborhood. Just guessing, Id say this store will be open well beyond the evening rush hour. The building is not one of the suburban strips, it is a rehab of an existing building and will look great. There will be a patio created for Sbucks and all of the retail will face Smith. The Starbucks space will be around 2,000 sf.

Personally, I would rather see a mom and pop coffee shop, but Starbucks does represent a tipping point for an emerging market like midtown.

Did you know that there is no competition in Houston for Starbucks? They have over 150 stores here and their next largest competitor is Deitrichs with 2 stores. TWO STORES!!! and just to one-up them, Starbucks has two stores across the street from each other!

Edited by Houston Retail

Did you know that there is no competition in Houston for Starbucks? They have over 150 stores here and their next largest competitor is Deitrichs with 2 stores. TWO STORES!!! and just to one-up them, Starbucks has two stores across the street from each other!

Strange that no one else has tried opening up a coffee shop in Midtown. It seems like a fairly simple business. Well, actually there is Tropioca who, with their other store downtown, will get my business due to their going out on a limb in these emerging areas.

I do wonder sometimes if the coffee shop trend is temporary, as it was back in the 50s-early 60s, although I think that then it was more based on a counter-culture experience than the actual consumption of coffee.

Sound likes a Starbucks alternative might make it. HAIF coffee? The buildings could be miniature versions of our skyscrapers.

Strange that no one else has tried opening up a coffee shop in Midtown. It seems like a fairly simple business. Well, actually there is Tropioca who, with their other store downtown, will get my business due to their going out on a limb in these emerging areas.

I do wonder sometimes if the coffee shop trend is temporary, as it was back in the 50s-early 60s, although I think that then it was more based on a counter-culture experience than the actual consumption of coffee.

Sound likes a Starbucks alternative might make it. HAIF coffee? The buildings could be miniature versions of our skyscrapers.

Corporate Coffee in the form of Starbucks sucks. I prefer to support local businesses. THERE are local midtown alternatives. Taft street coffee house (near Taft and Welch) makes excellent coffee, has WIFI, Vegan desserts and an organic farmers market on Saturday mornings. They have a "buy 7 get one free" coffee promotion as well. There is a new cafe called COCO's opening on W Grey opposite Fish serving coffee and crepes. I read in Houston press of another cafe opening on W Grey closer to Barnabys. Deco was serving coffee for a while, but I stopped going there because of their irregular opening hours on the weekend. You can't expect to build up a support base of local patrons if you keep on chopping and changing your hours. Instead of Starbucks, we need a Wholefoods or somehting to give Randalls a run for it's money

Corporate Coffee in the form of Starbucks sucks. I prefer to support local businesses. THERE are local midtown alternatives. Taft street coffee house (near Taft and Welch) makes excellent coffee, has WIFI, Vegan desserts and an organic farmers market on Saturday mornings. They have a "buy 7 get one free" coffee promotion as well. There is a new cafe called COCO's opening on W Grey opposite Fish serving coffee and crepes. I read in Houston press of another cafe opening on W Grey closer to Barnabys. Deco was serving coffee for a while, but I stopped going there because of their irregular opening hours on the weekend. You can't expect to build up a support base of local patrons if you keep on chopping and changing your hours. Instead of Starbucks, we need a Wholefoods or somehting to give Randalls a run for it's money

TROPIOCA!

Downtowner, for the most part, I agree. That's why, at work, I bypass Starbucks and go to Kaveh Kanes. I always support locals.

However, as a resident of Midtown, I can't ignore what this means for the area. This is a HUGE deal. Will I go to starbucks once it opens? Probably not. But I WILL enjoy the other eventual retail outlets the chain's presence will bring.

I'm glad to see this building being revitalized and with an anchor tennant like Starbucks this will be very succesful. I hope they close the one in Randallys, very unuser friendly.

One more thing pedestrian cheerleaders, Houstonians use their car and will keep driving if there is no parking. Just ask the previous owners of cafe matise and htown diner. Both closed.

Dream

The only serious chain coffee competition I've seen lately is Seattle's Best Coffee and Carribou Coffee. Then Starbucks bought Seattle's Best, so it's just the Minnesotans.

I prefer Carribou's coffee drinks, but I like Starbucks non-coffee drinks better, like the caramel apple cider.

I just can't believe how popular coffee has become. It's not exactly a new beverage, having been around since the 9th century. I can see hanging out in a coffee shop as a social activity, where the coffee is secondary to the conversation and just being around other people. But the Starbucks near me has a drive in window, and it's not unusual to see cars lined up in the middle of the day for the chance to buy one of those exorbitantly priced coffees.

I remember a conversation I had around 15 years ago with a college-aged person (I'm older). We were participating in a hospital reserach study, and I was bemoaning the fact that we weren't allowed to drink coffee. He said he didn't care, and for that matter "my generation doesn't drink coffee". Things have changed.

I'd say it's excellent news, but I will withhold judgement until we see the business hours. So many 'bucks are only open 8-4 Monday through Saturday it's rediculous. What's the point of putting it in a neighborhood if the people who live there can't patronize your business?

Most of the Starbucks I've been to are open from 5 AM to like 10 or 9 PM.

Most of my family lives in The Heights and every time I visit them I've NEVER seen a Starbucks, I'm kinda surprised I bet Starbucks would make a lot of money if they would open somewhere near Heights Blv. Insted of that CVS they should have built a Starbucks, or in 19th street where Harold's and the antique shops are located. There's also a lot of vacant spots in "Uptown Heights" (on 19th st. infront of the Chase Bank) where Curves and UPS Store are located. There's also vacant spots on Heights Blv. and Katy Fwy where Subway is at. Well incase yall know of a Starbucks near the Heights that I don't know of Tell me because I LOVE there Mocha Flappuchino with Wipcreme

I just can't believe how popular coffee has become. It's not exactly a new beverage, having been around since the 9th century. I can see hanging out in a coffee shop as a social activity, where the coffee is secondary to the conversation and just being around other people. But the Starbucks near me has a drive in window, and it's not unusual to see cars lined up in the middle of the day for the chance to buy one of those exorbitantly priced coffees...

agreed, at least with quickserve coffee. there are probably only 2 places in town that i would pay that amount for coffee... not only is the coffee awesome, i realize it's table rent and it's worth it to me to break routine, even on a budget. there are better ways to get caffeine than a starbucks drive through... i've never had a starbuck's coffee and i drink more coffee than anyone i know, usually making it myself but not beneath getting a cheap canned coffee either.

Edited by torvald

Starbucks did try to go into the heights, but the heights association kept them out. I dont know the whole story, but I know that much to be true.

The starbucks in Randalls is a license deal. Its not owned by Starbucks corporate and wont close. I dont think that Starbucks corporate really even considers it a location as far as their site selection goes. Thats why this one is so close to it.

Edited by Houston Retail

Starbucks did try to go into the heights, but the heights association kept them out. I dont know the whole story, but I know that much to be true.

The starbucks in Randalls is a license deal. Its not owned by Starbucks corporate and wont close. I dont think that Starbucks corporate really even considers it a location as far as their site selection goes. Thats why this one is so close to it.

Starbucks site selection process follows an 'Ant Trail' philosophy (that's what Starbucks calls it) where they'll build anywhere there's existing traffic. They'll build 2 across the street from each other if there is sufficient traffic on both sides of the street.

Random Funny: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28657

I'm surprised that Dunkin' Donuts has such a minor presence in the Houston area (1 store!) They're huge in the Northeast, and many people would welcome an alternative to Starbuck's. They're as well-known for their coffee as their donuts in those parts.

There is a Dunkin Donuts on 1960 West of I-45. The only other one I can think of is off Webb Chappel in Dallas.

Woo hoo!! Us Eastsiders have y'all beat in something! :lol:

Dbigtex...There is more than one the area

There is a Dunkin Donuts on Wayside near the golf course (been there a few times recently) and one on Southmore in Pasadena (okay..this is stretching the east end a bit).

Seems like there is one in Bellaire somewhere too.

There used to be a lot more during the seventies.

Wasnt there one on Kirby not too long ago?

Woo hoo!! Us Eastsiders have y'all beat in something! :lol:

Dbigtex...There is more than one the area

There is a Dunkin Donuts on Wayside near the golf course (been there a few times recently) and one on Southmore in Pasadena (okay..this is stretching the east end a bit).

Seems like there is one in Bellaire somewhere too.

There used to be a lot more during the seventies.

Wasnt there one on Kirby not too long ago?

You're right - I was relying solely on DD's website. There's apparently four in the Greater Houston area (including Bellaire and Pasadena).

You're right - I was relying solely on DD's website. There's apparently four in the Greater Houston area (including Bellaire and Pasadena).

There are at least six:

"1 320 S WAYSIDE DR, HOUSTON, TX 77011, USA 713-923-4772 6.70 M/11.17 KM

2 5406 BELLAIRE BLVD, BELLAIRE, TX 77401, USA 713-663-6605 11.79 M/19.66 KM

3 631 SOUTHMORE AVE, PASADENA, TX 77502, USA 713-920-0230 17.67 M/29.45 KM

4 814 FM 1960 RD W, HOUSTON, TX 77090, USA 281-444-7858 29.45 M/49.09 KM

5 7501 HIGHWAY 6 N, HOUSTON, TX 77095, USA 281-463-0966 29.97 M/49.96 KM

6 814 FM 1960 RD W, HOUSTON, TX 77090, USA 281-444-7858 15.64 M/26.06 KM

"

And yes, this is from DD's website. You need to play around with the search radius so it gets as much of the area as it can.

Edited by VicMan

There is a Dunkin Donuts on 1960 West of I-45. The only other one I can think of is off Webb Chappel in Dallas.

But if we are talking DD, why not talk Tim Hortons? That's my fave when in Ottawa.

Wonder if they could make it here?

Tim Horton's has ventured into the US, but not very far south of Canada (even though American owned - by Wendy's).

There are at least six:

"1 320 S WAYSIDE DR, HOUSTON, TX 77011, USA 713-923-4772 6.70 M/11.17 KM

2 5406 BELLAIRE BLVD, BELLAIRE, TX 77401, USA 713-663-6605 11.79 M/19.66 KM

3 631 SOUTHMORE AVE, PASADENA, TX 77502, USA 713-920-0230 17.67 M/29.45 KM

4 814 FM 1960 RD W, HOUSTON, TX 77090, USA 281-444-7858 29.45 M/49.09 KM

5 7501 HIGHWAY 6 N, HOUSTON, TX 77095, USA 281-463-0966 29.97 M/49.96 KM

6 814 FM 1960 RD W, HOUSTON, TX 77090, USA 281-444-7858 15.64 M/26.06 KM

"

And yes, this is from DD's website. You need to play around with the search radius so it gets as much of the area as it can.

Wow...they have two at the same address! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Whether or not you like the coffee at Starbucks, this is good news for the area. Starbucks' success is not only due to its fantastic marketing, but also its real estate brilliance. If they are willing to invest in a new shop, that is just another affirmation that there is a growing affluent population in the area.

Here is some more info on Startucks' real estate strategies - a review of a book by EVP of Real Estate with Starbucks:

http://brandautopsy.typepad.com/brandautop...ucks_real_.html

• 1 month later...