The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

What I really like about this project is, instead of the building taking up this whole block, they place that little avenue in the middle. I hope if they ever decide to build a structure on that midtown Superblock, they do something similar like maybe having a plaza in the middle so it's not just one huge building.

I like the idea of those pedestrian arcades going through blocks. I forget what they're called in other places; I saw some pictures of ones in Melbourne and it looked really nice.

I like the idea of those pedestrian arcades going through blocks. I forget what they're called in other places; I saw some pictures of ones in Melbourne and it looked really nice.

They are called alley's I thought! :P

^Cool!

Is that a street in the middle or a parking lot?

If its a street, it should have been parallel parking instead.

You can have angled parking. The point is to have a layer of cars between the pedestrian and the traffic to act as a natural barrier. This encourages the pedestrian walk along a busy street yet still feel comfortably safe from the traffic. Besides, Parallel parking takes too long to accomplish - especially in this town where jerk ride your bumper.

I notice that here in Houston people honk at you while you try to parallel park! :)

That's funny, every single time I go home to Houston and I parallel park with my friends in the car, they are so impressed. I don't really notice having to do it so often in LA

Yeah I'm used to it too but apparently nobody else is. I think they don't understand what you're trying to do and rather than giving you space they get really close behind you and honk until you get into your spot. :)

Okay, so I drove down Kirby today and I may have been wrong about what I said regarding the walk from Richmond to the West Ave site. It doesn't seem so bad after all. There are more trees than I remembered and hopefully that will only improve as the area becomes more well trafficked. There are a couple strip center parking lots that you have to walk past but overall it doesn't seem to be a bad walk.

Okay, so I drove down Kirby today and I may have been wrong about what I said regarding the walk from Richmond to the West Ave site. It doesn't seem so bad after all. There are more trees than I remembered and hopefully that will only improve as the area becomes more well trafficked. There are a couple strip center parking lots that you have to walk past but overall it doesn't seem to be a bad walk.

Yeah, it's not too bad - google shows it as ~0.7 miles. I live near the area and will often walk from near Richmond over to Westheimer and it seems to take no time at all. Then again, if it's up to someone to either try to drive to this place or to take a train and then walk 3/4 of a mile, I think a car wins out. With 2727 Kirby and this development in the works, hopefully that strip will become more of a destination that could be attractive to rail users (if the rail ever comes!)

Okay, so I drove down Kirby today and I may have been wrong about what I said regarding the walk from Richmond to the West Ave site. It doesn't seem so bad after all.

It's not that bad of a walk but know that it always feels different in a car.

I love this project but Does this marble paved street remined anyone of The Woodlands just a little, were those restaurants are, The cheesecake factory etc., and where you get on the boat to go down The Woodlands Waterway? This is much more upscale & fancy, and bigger than the Woodlands(except the waterway). They really do need the rail line to come down here and maybe put an upscale hotel to attract more than houstonians to this area. This is going to impact Houston well when it opens. Does any one know the sq. footage of the residential living units and the price?

Wow, very impressive. It definitely reminds me of Wilshire Boulevard.

Strangely enough I miss Wilshire. I worked on Wilshire at Barrington near the 405 frwy. Westwood/UCLA (Bruins land) was just a mile away. On other side was Bundy st, OJ's home in in Brentwood. Just a few miles west the Pacific.

Good old days :D

• 4 weeks later...
Stupid developers! At this rate, no one will be able to see the stars in the sky because of all the cranes going up all over town.

;)

When you find a better way of lifting steel beams in the air, let me know.

I saw the cranes too. This and the old Central Ford/Westcreek Project both at activity now.

• 2 weeks later...