The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

I'm guessing that these projects only get built in places with super expensive real estate. That land over in Rice Military was probably relatively cheap compared to Upper Kirby.

Is cheap land here why we don't see many of these cool projects that we envy in other cities? If so, that means that all we have to do is wait and they will spring up in bunches once land goes above a certain price.

Any commercial developers out there that want to expand on that?

Another new mall is what you think you're getting excited about?

gables_upper_kirby_1.JPG

I only count 6 floors but I saw 7 somewhere. Curious, do I have to right project? I'm sure I do...

Good news for Westheimer. Howabout the city run one of its light rail lines up and down Westheimer and Kirby in the near future, instead of down Fannin or Main. I think this area is going to be dense as hell in 10 years.

Edited by Sooner&RiceGrad

Why wouldn't METRO want to run its rail line down Main/Fannin? Though, I agree with you about running a line down Westheimer--just not inside the Loop. THere's no room unless you're willing to spend hundreds of millions buying up land to demolish existing structures. Outside the Loop, however, I think a limited-stop express-type line down Westheimer to at least Westchase could be very intriguing.

But the sad truth is that even if this ever come into play, it will be decades from now. The focus right now is on the next segment--the University Line--which is having its own range of battles right now. That said, and in keeping this on topic, the University Line could see very good ridership with a Kirby stop along Richmond, particularly if the range of planned projects in the Kirby Corridor come into fruition.

I never said the Main/Fannin line which I've ridden was a bad idea. If it came sooner we may have gotten the Olympics...

If it were up to me there would be commuter rail down Westheimer to Westchase or at least the the beltway but Kirby has a turn lane and even a median in sections that could be whittled down to make room for a light rail that would get loads of ridership once it's completed in say 5-10 years as this part of town is getting denser and denser.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
If you guys would like to see what the location where Jalapeno's Restaurant is looks like go to this website: http://maps.a9.com/ Then click on Houston, and finally put in this address in the location box: 2702 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX

You can use this site to look at a lot of streets in many major cites across the USA.

that A9 thing is pretty wild. i just saw my cat in the window of

my apartment (pictured there from the street) --- creepy!

the a9 maps site no longer works. :(

• 2 months later...
Construction is underway...started earlier this week. This project is going to be incredible when finished. Lots of residential and lots of retail. Just can't believe how many great projects are about to break ground!!! It's a good time to be in Houston..

You said it largeTEXAS!! I'm bummed that I'm living here in LA now. It's going to be real exciting to see what Houston looks like in about 5 years or less. It's like the Pavilions groundbreaking announcement started a domino effect with all of these other projects. Pavilions, Finger tower, City Centre, Kirby@Westheimer, I really hope they start construction soon on Blvd. Place and High Street. Even though it'll never happen, could you imagine if they built a rail line down Westheimer? You could take the rail from Blvd. Place to High Street to this Westheimer project to the Pavilions, plus the whole Montrose area. In a perfect world. Oh well this is all still awesome news!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What's the status of this project?

Does anyone have any updated information on this? Any announced retail tenants? Photos?

I did find that this is now known as West Avenue and "Phase one" is supposed to be: 5 acres; 180,000 sq. ft. of retail; 380 apartments

Estimated completion: Late 2008 or early 2009

Edited by Houston19514

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...