The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

Yeah, I drove by the other day as well. It's coming along very fast. It seems weird to have such a big structure so close to the road not in downtown.

I agree. It feels like it is leaning over Westheimer and Kirby--I like it!

What is the scoop on the retail tenants?

O.K. then, this thing is truly going to rock the intersection of Kirby and Westhiemer. It's not the 'world' but it will probably rock us more than if they were building a gas station or CVS on that corner.

Seriously tho, what's not to like?

Agreed. There's nothing at all that I dislike, just that the only reason that I'll probably ever go there is if some business acquaintence insists on meeting there for lunch or if I need to tour it for work-related purposes. I don't know what tenants will end up there, but I do know right now that they won't be my cup of tea.

So no, it's very unlikely that it'll rock my world.

Edited by TheNiche

• 1 month later...

According to Sarnoff at the Chronicle, the additional phases might be increasing from their original plans. While they mentioned an additional Condo, Hotel, Office, and additional shopping. I mean, good lord!

The teaser about the old Texaco Building (1111 Rusk) that might be turned into another Luxury hotel has gotten me curious.

According to Sarnoff at the Chronicle, the additional phases might be increasing from their original plans. While they mentioned an additional Condo, Hotel, Office, and additional shopping. I mean, good lord!

The teaser about the old Texaco Building (1111 Rusk) that might be turned into another Luxury hotel has gotten me curious.

That was the most interesting column Sarnoff has filed in years. But there was no "teaser" about the old Texaco building. Just a statement recounting the fact that it was supposed to have been redeveloped into a Ritz-Carlton back in the 90s. Either before the work started or while it was happening, the project changed to a Renaissance Hotel. And then work stopped completely.

No. They are looking at acquiring nearby tracts of land.

right..."The developers are looking at nearby tracts for what could lead to a hotel, office space, condo tower and more shopping space."

---------------

I really really like this...

"He said West Ave will have an "organic" feel with primarily local and regional tenants, including clothing stores and restaurants."

Edited by lockmat

I really really like this...

"He said West Ave will have an "organic" feel with primarily local and regional tenants, including clothing stores and restaurants."

As intense as the competition between these upscale developments is, I don't see how independent local retailers could possibly be left out of the marketing plan. In fact, I kind of wonder just how aggressive they'll have to be...could be a unique and interesting approach to leasing.

One example of that is the fact that Inversion Coffee House beat out Starbucks for a spot at West Ave. I think that's pretty cool...

• 2 months later...

I can't wait for this to open. Already that stretch of Kirby has a radically different "feel" to it with the inviting pedestrian mall and the highrise opposite. My enthusiasm is tempered somewhat though by the implications for traffic in the area. I wonder if cops will be on hand a la Highland Village to help keep things running smoothly at busy times.

The Social House sounds promising. I didn't know anyone in the South was doing this yet. Very popular in England and the Pac Northwest, at least from what I see in fancy foodie mags.

I'm suprised to see Swig on the list. Very tired, very 90s. Hazelnut Choco-tinis and tourists, anyone?

kinda like chuy's

I don't want to turn this into a food thread, but how dare you.

On a related Chuy's/West Ave. topic, there have been numerous rumblings in the neighborhood (from the Avalon Place homeowner's asociation newsletter, no less) that Chuy's lease is not being renewed and that West Ave. expansion is looking toward the site where Chuy's and Rickshaw are located.

I can't wait for this to open. Already that stretch of Kirby has a radically different "feel" to it with the inviting pedestrian mall and the highrise opposite. My enthusiasm is tempered somewhat though by the implications for traffic in the area. I wonder if cops will be on hand a la Highland Village to help keep things running smoothly at busy times.

As I understand it, Kirby will we widened and reconstructed. The number of lanes will not change, they'll just increase the width of the lanes. They'll also put in a center esplanade with turning bay lanes. This setup will probably force people to take the direction of the side of the street they're on and hook a U-Turn from one of the 'cuts'.

So far, coming from the south, construction has made it up to University Blvd. They are placing these giant culverts for drainage beneath. Seriously, you could drive an SUV through them. The construction phase will be a nightmare, but overall, I think this contractor is doing a pretty good job at not disrupting traffic flow as much as possible.

On a related Chuy's/West Ave. topic, there have been numerous rumblings in the neighborhood (from the Avalon Place homeowner's asociation newsletter, no less) that Chuy's lease is not being renewed and that West Ave. expansion is looking toward the site where Chuy's and Rickshaw are located.

I agree. Chuy's rawks!! Disappointed to hear that, but hardly surprised. Chuy's is the one place that my family remembers in Houston when they talk about their visits here.

I'm suprised to see Swig on the list. Very tired, very 90s. Hazelnut Choco-tinis and tourists, anyone?
kinda like chuy's
I agree. Chuy's rawks!! Disappointed to hear that, but hardly surprised. Chuy's is the one place that my family remembers in Houston when they talk about their visits here.

I have to agree. I'm a VERY picky eater when it comes to Mexican food and chuy's is quite good. As far as the party atmosphere goes, not so much.

Really? Do you think they might go to that side and add a skybridge? Crossing THAT street is either suicidal or grow old waiting.

sounds like good inspiration for an article on stuffwhitepeoplelike.

I love Chuy's as well. The fajitas are great (the only thing I usually eat there), and cheap compared to some other places, and the salsa is one of my favorites ever!

My girl and I ate there last night for $12 between the two of us and we were stuffed. That's hard to beat. My biggest complaint is that it's too popular and sometimes you have to wait for a table.

By the way, next time I go I'll bring my real camera and get a better photo. The quality of the one I posted isn't the best (cell phone photo).

Edited by Jax