The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

WEST AVE

Can anyone comment on rumors that some of the following retailers are either looking at or already committed to West Ave?

Tootsies (rumor has them leaving Highland Village in '09 as this center opens)

Barneys New York (a full-line store vs. the co-op store that opened last year at the Galleria)

H&M

Design Within Reach

Ralph Lauren

Damn! I didn't know it was under construction yet! Cool, I though this thing would end up like BLVD place or the development that was supposed to go on that old Ford Car lot on Westhemier.

Too bad those are starting soon as well. A little faith could go a long way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
A sad aspect to the redevelopment on Kirby, is the razing of a Karl Kamrath designed building. With the owner's permission, I am salvaging elements for reconstruction. The building, in the spirit of Frank Lloyd Wright, is a true architectural gem. The horizontal lines extend out far beyond the candilevered roof line. The mitered glass windows bring the outdoors inward. The entryway reminds me of traveling down a mine shaft before opening to an expansive room and pillar space. The well positioned pocket windows demonstrate the architect's ability to bring total functionality to his project.

The design, not the materials, makes this structure unique to mid-century contemporary buildings in Houston.

A sad aspect to the redevelopment on Kirby, is the razing of a Karl Kamrath designed building. With the owner's permission, I am salvaging elements for reconstruction. The building, in the spirit of Frank Lloyd Wright, is a true architectural gem. The horizontal lines extend out far beyond the candilevered roof line. The mitered glass windows bring the outdoors inward. The entryway reminds me of traveling down a mine shaft before opening to an expansive room and pillar space. The well positioned pocket windows demonstrate the architect's ability to bring total functionality to his project.

The design, not the materials, makes this structure unique to mid-century contemporary buildings in Houston.

Are you referring to the Orthodontist's office on Rosamond, behind the the Jalapeno's site? I must agree that it was uniquly beautiful.Too bad it was hidden. I didn't realize that the designer of St. John's Episcopal Church (River Oaks @ Westheimer) and several Houston landmarks did this little marvel. I know about this structure because my first experence with a dentist took place here when my dad took me back in 1960 -1961.

BTW: How is your reconstruction project coming? This is my first post in this forum (second actually - the first didn't take a few minutes ago), so pardon if you have already posted an update.

I agree. It's an attractive start to the corridor. The biggest eye sores are, like Snakes just mentioned, the old strip center where Jamiaca-Jamaica used to be. I like the landscaping on Kirby @ Alabama, too.

That strip center was built on what was once a beautiful oak and pecan grove residence. The idiots who put in that center demolished what could have been a beautiful shaded green oasis if some planning had taken place. But, alas, the 70's were not about that.

• 3 weeks later...

West Avenue takes up the whole area between Wetheimer and Kipling and Kirby and Virginia except for where Regency House is at 2701 Westheimer. Are there any plans for the destruction of Regency House or is it gonna stay and be a part of West Ave?Another question is about Brownstone, Casa Blanca Floral Services, More Than You Can Imagine and all that on Westheimer between Ferndale and Virginia. That just looks outta place between the Belle Meade and West Avenue so does anyone know of any plans for any of that?I keep reading about Phase 1 of West Ave. opening in February of 09 - so where or what is phase 2 going to be?

West Avenue takes up the whole area between Wetheimer and Kipling and Kirby and Virginia except for where Regency House is at 2701 Westheimer. Are there any plans for the destruction of Regency House or is it gonna stay and be a part of West Ave?Another question is about Brownstone, Casa Blanca Floral Services, More Than You Can Imagine and all that on Westheimer between Ferndale and Virginia. That just looks outta place between the Belle Meade and West Avenue so does anyone know of any plans for any of that?I keep reading about Phase 1 of West Ave. opening in February of 09 - so where or what is phase 2 going to be?

I can't imagine the Regency House going anywhere. It might not be a pretty bldg. from the outside, but it has some of the coolest individual units in the city. Lots of well-known folks live there including the owner of Area (store on Kirby). His pad is primo.

Also, I am not sure why you'd think the Brownstone and others don't fit in. They are a perfect fit for what WestAve is trying to do. They are built to the street and have definite curb appeal.

Mainly because everything on Virgina between Westheimer and Alabama looks old and with all the newer houses in that area bein built, 2727 Kirby, West Ave, Belle Meade and what ever else that might be going up - it just seems the older places (like Brownstone) would look out of place.

I'm not in anyway saying that I want those places to come down - I'm the kind that wants as much as possible to stay (like the River Oaks theatre) and I was upset when they tore the old Hard Rock Cafe down (ain't that where 2727 Kirby is goin' up at?) and made in into a bank or what ever it became.

So I can't help but wonder what's gonna become of anything in the area that's not new or modern looking.

• 1 month later...

People working there would be most likely to rail & walk it. People who shop there will park their midsize Lexus SUVs on Level 3 and walk into [insert name of high end anchor retail here]. I agree it will be a lovely addition to the area. What a treat to see zero ft setbacks in this area and not have to peer at shopfronts across an expanse of cars.

Before this development, if you asked me to walk from the corner of Westhiemer and Kirby to Richmond, I would politely decline as I have no interest in walking on a minimal sidewalk along side a gas station, abandoned Schlotsky's, and massive parking lots (Whole Foods, Borders, etc). But combine this with the proposed street improvements by the Upper Kirby District, and this is starting to really become a destination that makes you want to get out and explore by foot.

A photo from Sunday morning (11/11)WestAve111107.jpgThere's a second building behind this one that's rising as well, but it's only up to the 3rd floor or so at this point.
Sorry, but I can't get my bearings in this photo. Is that Kirby in the foreground with Westheimer towards the right?

• 3 weeks later...

I was eating outside at Berryhill's a few nights ago (~ Westheimer @ Revere) and noticed a very active crane at the West Ave. site. There were still going strong when I left around 9 pm. It's good to see this project moving along quickly.

It might be more appropriate for another thread, but the development directly behind 2727 Kirby (along Revere) has also broken gorund. This entire area is going to look completely different in a few years.

I was eating outside at Berryhill's a few nights ago (~ Westheimer @ Revere) and noticed a very active crane at the West Ave. site. There were still going strong when I left around 9 pm. It's good to see this project moving along quickly.

It might be more appropriate for another thread, but the development directly behind 2727 Kirby (along Revere) has also broken gorund. This entire area is going to look completely different in a few years.

Yea I drove down Kirby yesterday... looks so different w/ West Ave. and 2727 Kirby going up... that area is going to look so different when those two developments are done... it already looks different.