The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

Both are going to be incredible. It's going to be a race to see who completes the first, large scale, urban mixed-use project first. It looks like Kirby/Westheimer and Houston Pavilions will be built first followed by Trademark and Boulevard Place. Our city is going through a rapid transformation over the next 3 years. Hopefully all this building won't be too gluttonous!

A sad aspect to the redevelopment on Kirby, is the razing of a Karl Kamrath designed building. With the owner's permission, I am salvaging elements for reconstruction. The building, in the spirit of Frank Lloyd Wright, is a true architectural gem. The horizontal lines extend out far beyond the candilevered roof line. The mitered glass windows bring the outdoors inward. The entryway reminds me of traveling down a mine shaft before opening to an expansive room and pillar space. The well positioned pocket windows demonstrate the architect's ability to bring total functionality to his project.

The design, not the materials, makes this structure unique to mid-century contemporary buildings in Houston.

Edited by Architectural Treasures

Maybe I was young but I did think the Page Parkes building was interesting on the inside when I went there for some type of meeting.

Well, it might of been until they imploded it today.

The Paige Parkes building at 2727 Kirby was demolished this morning to make way for a 30-story condo building. The structure was imploded using about 50 pounds of dynamite. -Houston Chronicle

I predict in 5-7 years the Kirby Corridor will be a string of mid-and-highrises from about Westheimer to at least the SW Freeway. In particular, the intersection of Kirby @ Westheimer is going to be pretty impressive if the two key developments (the condo tower and then the large-scale mixed use midrise development accross from 2727) are built out as planned.

Place your bets: what do you think would be the most likely existing property on Kirby to be converted into a high/midrise structure? I'm placing my money on the gas station on the SW corner of Alabama @ Kirby.

Place your bets: what do you think would be the most likely existing property on Kirby to be converted into a high/midrise structure? I'm placing my money on the gas station on the SW corner of Alabama @ Kirby.

I still put my hopes behind the southwest corner of Richmond @ Kirby. You all know...where the club Jamaica Jamaica used to be!

I still put my hopes behind the southwest corner of Richmond @ Kirby. You all know...where the club Jamaica Jamaica used to be!

I like the way that Kirby starts as you leave the freeway toward Richmond. The art-deco looking building (across the street where the strip containing the old Jamaica Jamaica was) with the flush, wide sidewalks is a cool welcome of sorts. I hope that the new developments will reflect that...become something like a smaller-scaled version of L.A.'s Wilshire.

I like the way that Kirby starts as you leave the freeway toward Richmond. The art-deco looking building (across the street where the strip containing the old Jamaica Jamaica was) with the flush, wide sidewalks is a cool welcome of sorts. I hope that the new developments will reflect that...become something like a smaller-scaled version of L.A.'s Wilshire.

I agree. It's an attractive start to the corridor. The biggest eye sores are, like Snakes just mentioned, the old strip center where Jamiaca-Jamaica used to be. I like the landscaping on Kirby @ Alabama, too.

• 4 weeks later...

We should probably all hope that the traffic at Kirby and Westheimer becomes as horrible as possible . . . maybe the Upper Kirby folks will then decide that they need a subway / train, as opposed to taking to the battlements to fight it off... <_<

The R.O. folks are currently too afraid of the noise / elements to let it happen, and I think small businesses are scared stiff after the construction impact in downtown...

This is exciting... I have always thought the stretch of Kirby between R.O. and Rice Village was vastly underutilized. Even the Wachovia bank under construction next to the Page-Parkes site seems like a total waste of space at this point. The area should become relatively more attractive with the completion of the 59 construction into downtown.

A colleague is thinking about buying a townhome right across the street from this site. What do y'all think the potential of this area is?

I'm thinking that any value wouldn't be realized until well after the construction. Say 4-5 years from now. But at that time, the value would jump.

However, with so much residential footage and traffic in the area, would it actually decrease?

If you guys would like to see what the location where Jalapeno's Restaurant is looks like go to this website: http://maps.a9.com/ Then click on Houston, and finally put in this address in the location box: 2702 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX

You can use this site to look at a lot of streets in many major cites across the USA.

that A9 thing is pretty wild. i just saw my cat in the window of

my apartment (pictured there from the street) --- creepy!

that A9 thing is pretty wild. i just saw my cat in the window of

my apartment (pictured there from the street) --- creepy!

Yeah, I thought the A9 site was pretty lame so I typed in my address and didn't even get one pic of my house.

I got FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Five pics of my home on www.WorldofWhackJobs.killme.com.

It totally creeps me out as well.

A price to pay for an open society but creepy none the less.

:(

Edited by nmainguy

• 1 month later...

After looking at these pictures, I'm convinced that if the 2727 highrise project does not pan out, there is NO WAY that this prime piece of real estate is going to sit undeveloped for long. Look at the potential. Personally, I would not be disappointed if a highrise is not put there. I would much rather see something similar to the mid rise development across the street with ground floor retail. It would be a better complement and do more to build a walkable, mixed-use area.

By the way, the city has to do something about the power lines. What a visual blight. Is there any plan to redo the road here? If so, this would be a good time to address this problem.

By the way, the city has to do something about the power lines. What a visual blight. Is there any plan to redo the road here? If so, this would be a good time to address this problem.

Agreed, I mentioned in another thread that the power lines didn't loolk that bad compared to other areas in the city......this is one of those areas. There's a thread about utility lines

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...&hl=power+lines

By the way, the city has to do something about the power lines. What a visual blight. Is there any plan to redo the road here?

I'm pretty sure this development will envelope the entire space. I'm also pretty sure that little street will be paved over and all those power lines will be removed as they are old and used to belong to the buildings that used to occupy that space. As far as the ones that line Kirby, well, they run all the way down the street. I doubt they will take them underground or be rerouted.

A colleague is thinking about buying a townhome right across the street from this site. What do y'all think the potential of this area is?

I'm thinking that any value wouldn't be realized until well after the construction. Say 4-5 years from now. But at that time, the value would jump.

However, with so much residential footage and traffic in the area, would it actually decrease?

sorry, to respond so late. parking around those few blocks is a bit

tight --- between the extra driveways (from other townhomes) and

whole foods employees. WFM has no employee parking and with

the added high rise later on, you can expect even less. of course, your

colleague will have a garage but it may be still be annoying for guests

and getting out in the morning...

Edited by torvald

I drove by the site last week and was amazed at the size of the tract. I am excited about this development. It is going to be mixed use correct? I would assume some frontage retail and maybe some residential as well ??

Edited by Trophy Property