The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

If you guys would like to see what the location where Jalapeno's Restaurant is looks like go to this website: http://maps.a9.com/ Then click on Houston, and finally put in this address in the location box: 2702 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX

You can use this site to look at a lot of streets in many major cites across the USA.

So, is this complex going to be across the street from the Kirby Condos? I thought that they were also at Kirby and Westheimer.

I am guessing one of these buildings is replacing the Jalapenos restaurant and the Shell at the corner. What other corner is getting leveled?

I'm thinking this is the lot for the old tennis center, a little south of Westheimer, and north of Alabama.

If you guys would like to see what the location where Jalapeno's Restaurant is looks like go to this website: http://maps.a9.com/ Then click on Houston, and finally put in this address in the location box: 2702 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX

You can use this site to look at a lot of streets in many major cites across the USA.

Whoa, being able to look at pictures of the intersection is incredible.

I used to live right by there in the OakLane apartments. They were converted to condos. For the price of one of their apartment condos I bought a patio home by TC Jester and I-10 with more room.

I'm glad to see this area finally moving. I remember when speculation was beginning about building this on the site of the tennis center.

I used to live right by there in the OakLane apartments. They were converted to condos. For the price of one of their apartment condos I bought a patio home by TC Jester and I-10 with more room.

I'm glad to see this area finally moving. I remember when speculation was beginning about building this on the site of the tennis center.

How long ago was that?

In essence it will be a 2400 McCue-esque residential with a Post-Midtown first/second floor? That is awesome.

I'd love to develop something like this, but wouldn't even know where to begin to raise the money for one. The land cost alone is probably 20 million-ish.

I'd love to develop something like this, but wouldn't even know where to begin to raise the money for one. The land cost alone is probably 20 million-ish.

That expensive? If so, this area of the Monopoly board is probably becoming off-limits to anything but this level of development from here on out. With land so high, who could afford to build a 1-story strip center? If this is successful, I would expect more of the same near Richmond, especially if the rail runs there. Then again, there might be a limited supply of buyers at this price level so similar projects might be sparse.

That expensive? If so, this area of the Monopoly board is probably becoming off-limits to anything but this level of development from here on out. With land so high, who could afford to build a 1-story strip center? If this is successful, I would expect more of the same near Richmond, especially if the rail runs there. Then again, there might be a limited supply of buyers at this price level so similar projects might be sparse.

It was just a guess on the price. Considering a large lot in Sharpstown is at the 10mm mark, I'd imagine it would be a bit pricier at Kirby & Westy.

the land for this project is actually on a 75 year ground lease. probaly valued around $65-$70 a foot. The costs are prohibitive, but the players in this arena do know how to do a project right. Its exciting to see how many quality developments are in the works for houston.

I assume this is a rental building then?

the land for this project is actually on a 75 year ground lease. probaly valued around $65-$70 a foot. The costs are prohibitive, but the players in this arena do know how to do a project right. Its exciting to see how many quality developments are in the works for houston.

so they didnt purchase any of the land? i assumed they would have purchased the hanover dirt for a high-rise site to justify some of the cost.

if its all leased, that sure is some pricy dirt... hanover could have taken down their site for just north of $70 :o

Well I'm sure they'll do ok on this type of project. But I'm against leasing on High-rise Buildings in Houston. They never work...

Yes, they do if they are managed well. That is a complete generalization I have to say.

In order for the city to achieve density it need to have a great mix of many things, and rental properties are in need too. You can't have one homogeneousness type of mold to build a city.

It is like a bouquet of flowers. Yes one flower alone is beautiful, but many forming a bouquet is diversely beautiful and pleasing to the eyes. Additionally you may like some of the flowers. Others may like another flower better then the one you like. I well I like the whole bouquet.

Ahhh! it is nice to receive flowers he-he I Just got some delivered from my-other-half

• Like 1

Yes, they do if they are managed well. That is a complete generalization I have to say.

In order for the city to achieve density it need to have a great mix of many things, and rental properties are in need too. You can't have one homogeneousness type of mold to build a city.

It is like a bouquet of flowers. Yes one flower alone is beautiful, but many forming a bouquet is diversely beautiful and pleasing to the eyes. Additionally you may like some of the flowers. Others may like another flower better then the one you like. I well I like the whole bouquet.

Ahhh! it is nice to receive flowers he-he I Just got some delivered from my-other-half

I'm just talking about alot of recent projects that have been cancelled or "on hold" because they were leasing.

What major lease projects have been cancelled lately?

The only one I can think of is Ballpark Place.

Lofts on Post Oak, 1200 Post Oak, 3333 Allen Parkway, Dominion Post Oak, Museum Tower, Sabine Street, Lofts at the Ballpark, Camden Midtown, Post Lofts at Midtown Square, Alta Lofts, Ventanna, Calais at Cortland Square, 3000 Sage, Seven Riverway, ZOM Allen Parkway, Broadstone, Augusta, Jackson Hill Apts, several projects in "Memorial Heights" and the Med Center have all gone up recently.

Seems to me that it has been the for-sale hi-rises that have been cancelled, especially the ultra high end ones like Redstone, original Dominion, Monaco, and Orion not to mention the other Mercer and Shamrock.

What major lease projects have been cancelled lately?

The only one I can think of is Ballpark Place.

Lofts on Post Oak, 1200 Post Oak, 3333 Allen Parkway, Dominion Post Oak, Museum Tower, Sabine Street, Lofts at the Ballpark, Camden Midtown, Post Lofts at Midtown Square, Alta Lofts, Ventanna, Calais at Cortland Square, 3000 Sage, Seven Riverway, ZOM Allen Parkway, Broadstone, Augusta, Jackson Hill Apts, several projects in "Memorial Heights" and the Med Center have all gone up recently.

Seems to me that it has been the for-sale hi-rises that have been cancelled, especially the ultra high end ones like Redstone, original Dominion, Monaco, and Orion not to mention the other Mercer and Shamrock.

Are all of the above high-rise apartment, or are some mid-rise?

• 1 month later...

Jalapeno's just had their auction to sell off all their restaurant furniture and equipment. That whole superblock will be razed to make way for development. Is this a new trend? Basically, this is what they're doing on Post Oak @ San Felipe (where Eatzi's and Cafe Annie are). [Except, on Post Oak, the strip had viable businesses.]

The dreams of the Upper Kirby District may finally be coming true!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, so much has changed on Kirby.

The old Anthony's and Hard Rock Cafe/Fire & Ice are gone; a Washington Mutual Bank is being constructed on the site. All the signs for 2727 Kirby seem to still be in place.

Demolition of the buildings where this thread's development is going should begin in March. The River Oaks Gym (across from the old Page Parkes building) is merging with the One2One Fitness by my office at Kirby@59. (The new gym will expand to 2 floors total.) I was told they had to be out of their current facilities in March, since demolition would begin then.

One more thing...if anyone ever hears of redevelopment of the property at Richmond @ Kirby (southwest corner, opposite Ninfa's and crosswise from Pappasito's), let me know. That spot is SCREAMING for a mixed-use site!

Jalapeno's just had their auction to sell off all their restaurant furniture and equipment. That whole superblock will be razed to make way for development. Is this a new trend? Basically, this is what they're doing on Post Oak @ San Felipe (where Eatzi's and Cafe Annie are). [Except, on Post Oak, the strip had viable businesses.]

The dreams of the Upper Kirby District may finally be coming true!

I haven't heard the news! Whats the scoop on the Eatzi's Site??