The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

Uh-oh. That swipe at Chuy's could reignite the Chuy's battles that took place earlier in this thread.

Overpriced Tex-Mex is very expendable. Just look at the Chuy's in the Galleria (on Richmond) - GONE.

But Houston Pavilions will have about 220,000 sf of office space. Downtown office users average only about 300 square feet of office space per employee. As such, the daytime population of HP's office component will likely be greater than the nighttime population in West Avenue's residential component.

220K SF of office doesn't mean anything if they cant sign a single tenant.

West Ave. will have a much larger pool of nearby residential to gain customers from. But it does have some competition with Highland Village.

Highland Village will have High Street and Oaks District for competition as well. They have more to worry about than West Ave.

A new shopping center in one of the top neighborhoods in Houston isn't going to help it very much because they already have lots and lots and lots of similar shopping. This is a drop in the bucket. A new shopping center in a neighborhood where there aren't very many has a larger impact on the perceptions of that neighborhood.

oh my ,oh my ,where will the new residents of OPP shop or socialize or eat?

oh my ,oh my ,where will the new residents of OPP shop or socialize or eat?

I think he's saying West Ave is a drop in the bucket within River Oaks' plentiful retail, whereas HP makes more of a splash. Rice residents are pretty excited about HP opening too, at least some of my neighbors are. It's not just OPP.

• 3 weeks later...
well, as I was driving by, I noticed the cross walks as well. I also thought they were neat.

Does anyone know the design of the walkways when they are finished?

There are some renderings on their website... dont know address onhand... they are turning out to look exactly what the renderings look like IMO.

• 1 month later...

I need a bit of help in regards to this place. My wife and I are looking to relocate back to Houston, probably by January of next year. We are interested in possibly living here, but we cannot find any recent photos. Could someone please take a few shots of the exterior? The last photos I have seen are back form May.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, all. New to the forums here. I actually work for a company that supplies materials for this project. I've had the pleasure of walking the jobsite and I must say, it is pretty amazing.

Welcome to HAIF, I just want to warn you that your life will never be the same after you've joined (In a good way)...Anyway can you give us more details, as in how the project looks from a ground level, how close it matches the renderings, etc...

THX

Welcome to HAIF, I just want to warn you that your life will never be the same after you've joined (In a good way)...Anyway can you give us more details, as in how the project looks from a ground level, how close it matches the renderings, etc...

THX

Thanks for the welcome! I stumbled upon the forum when I was looking for information on another project (which I was happy to find in The Heights Forum) and just thought I'd see if there was anything here about Gables West Ave. while I was browsing around.

It's fairly close to the renderings, although I don't know about the actual exterior color or those awful palm trees. The picture to the left appears to be a rendering of the view from Westheimer, and the right appears to be the view from Kirby. If I am correct, then the street between the buildings in the left picture is intended to be a sort of pick up/drop off lane between the buildings with store front on either side. It is all intended to be pedestrian, as well as vehicle friendly. Also, there is a rather large parking garage, which I typically loathe. Parking structures are just eyesores as far as I have seen, but this one is strategically placed behind the buildings, so all that will be seen driving by is actually a really pretty building.

I'm reading a lot here about West Ave's next Phase of expansion (even before Phase 1 is even complete, lol). Mostly about how the property could expand across Westheimer, from where Chuy's is, down to where Buffalo Hardware is potentially.

I've heard different.

I heard from a contractor whom said his company was doing the roofing on West Ave., that it'll expand in the opposite direction, where Beck's Prime is, going south all the way up to West Alabama.

Again, just something I heard, nothing definite or concrete... any truth to this?

I'm reading a lot here about West Ave's next Phase of expansion (even before Phase 1 is even complete, lol). Mostly about how the property could expand across Westheimer, from where Chuy's is, down to where Buffalo Hardware is potentially.

I've heard different.

I heard from a contractor whom said his company was doing the roofing on West Ave., that it'll expand in the opposite direction, where Beck's Prime is, going south all the way up to West Alabama.

Again, just something I heard, nothing definite or concrete... any truth to this?

I have no idea but that would be awesome.

I can confirm after speaking with the leasing agent that Phase II will replace Beck's Prime all the way towards Alabama.
earlier in the thread it mentions that several businesses are already closed and a few others will be closed in the near future in preparation for the expansion.

Glad to know my source was speaking the truth. I browsed this thread pretty thoroughly, but must have missed the posts about businesses already closing in preparation. Wow Kirby is going to be unrecognizable from what it was... frankly it already is with this first Phase, and 2727. I live in close proximity to these two projects and have watched them rise from re-bar and fresh concrete out of the ground.

I'll try to take some pictures of these buildings soon at their current stages and post....

Everyone likes pictures! Took these this morning on a little walk around the block. The first and part of the 3rd shot is building 3, which has been just bare concrete structure to this point, its finally getting some framing going up and hopefully soon we'll see it take shape. The last shot is the actual West Ave (the street going down between buildings 1 and 2), you can see the skywalks starting to be encased in glass

West_Ave_Building_3.jpg

West_Ave_Front.jpg

West_Ave_NE_corner.jpg

West_Ave_South.jpg

West_Ave_Skywalks_glass.jpg

Edited by Geoff8201