The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

I guess if you don't count Houston Pavilions

HP is two stories tall, like Sharpstown Mall. I'm a DT resident and would love to take pride in my pet tiddlywinks, but we have to be honest here. West Ave -- with its future expansions -- is the first of its kind in Houston.

HP is two stories tall, like Sharpstown Mall. I'm a DT resident and would love to take pride in my pet tiddlywinks, but we have to be honest here. West Ave -- with its future expansions -- is the first of its kind in Houston.

The retail part of HP is three stories tall, more than West Ave. The office component is 12 stories, more than West Ave.

Maybe its just that I see these all the time in other cities I do work in, but these cliched mixed-use projects don't really excite me. The cookie-cutter architecture on most of them (this one included) is pretty boring. At least HP has some unique skywalks to distinguish it...and I still am underwhelmed by HP.

The retail part of HP is three stories tall, more than West Ave. The office component is 12 stories, more than West Ave.

No residential. ;)

Maybe its just that I see these all the time in other cities I do work in, but these cliched mixed-use projects don't really excite me. The cookie-cutter architecture on most of them (this one included) is pretty boring. At least HP has some unique skywalks to distinguish it...and I still am underwhelmed by HP.

Mixed-use is vastly better than single-use apartment complexes or strip malls. I'd rather have "cliched" mixed-use developments than hideous strip malls. Separation of uses for multifamily residential and retail is one of the most idiotic boondoggles I've yet to wrap my mind around.

Mixed-use is vastly better than single-use apartment complexes or strip malls. I'd rather have "cliched" mixed-use developments than hideous strip malls. Separation of uses for multifamily residential and retail is one of the most idiotic boondoggles I've yet to wrap my mind around.

I am 100% agreeing, and just excited that West Ave is built, with West Creek and BLVD Place on the horizon.

I think Houston Pavilions will be a catalyst from something even bigger and better on dowtown in the near future, this time larger, with residential.

We have SO many surface lots still to convert.

I am 100% agreeing, and just excited that West Ave is built, with West Creek and BLVD Place on the horizon.

I think Houston Pavilions will be a catalyst from something even bigger and better on dowtown in the near future, this time larger, with residential.

We have SO many surface lots still to convert.

I'll be frequenting HP to provide patronage. Gotta show the downtown pride! Hope we get a grocery store around here eventually; all we have is the Midtown Randall's. We're so far behind Dallas in the downtown grocery department. <_<

What I wonder is whether development will jump Westheimer. Kirby/Westheimer would become Houston's most impressive intersection if stuff goes up on all four corners.

I'll be frequenting HP to provide patronage. Gotta show the downtown pride! Hope we get a grocery store around here eventually; all we have is the Midtown Randall's. We're so far behind Dallas in the downtown grocery department. <_<

Will be a downtown grocery in OPP soon enough.

"I won't be ignored!"

Hilarious, but too reiterate, my fascination with this place is it's mere presence and modern appearance not the stores. Just drive past and see what I mean.

Like I stated earlier it is grand! If anyone has a link to what the apartments will look like (interiors, etc). :)

• 2 weeks later...
So this is supposed to have residential available in August? That's weeks away.

So there must be a model somewhere that prospects have toured. Question is where?

I will answer my own question, all we have to do is go to the links and send our questions. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The retail portion of Houston Pavilions is approximately double the size of the retail portion of West Ave (360,000 vs. 190,000 square feet) pet tiddlywinks, indeed.

Edited by Houston19514

Maybe HP is bigger, but West Ave. is in a good neighborhood, Pavillions is not.

A new shopping center in one of the top neighborhoods in Houston isn't going to help it very much because they already have lots and lots and lots of similar shopping. This is a drop in the bucket. A new shopping center in a neighborhood where there aren't very many has a larger impact on the perceptions of that neighborhood.

A new shopping center in one of the top neighborhoods in Houston isn't going to help it very much because they already have lots and lots and lots of similar shopping. This is a drop in the bucket. A new shopping center in a neighborhood where there aren't very many has a larger impact on the perceptions of that neighborhood.

Zen koan: If you drop a shopping center where no one shops, does it make a sound?

West Ave. will have a much larger pool of nearby residential to gain customers from. But it does have some competition with Highland Village.

LOL and then what? It will approach 2/3 the size of HP, sometime in the far distant, very uncertain future?

your cynicism notwithstanding, West Ave also has about 400,000 SF of residential compared to HP's approximately, um.... 0 SF.

Where Chuy's and Rickshaw are. There are even rumblings about the corner spot with Buffalo Hardware and Armando's....

bingo.

Thanks "jgriff", you hit it on the head: "Location, Location, Location"....West Ave has the best location right now and the location is also established, which usually beats up and coming..

your cynicism notwithstanding, West Ave also has about 400,000 SF of residential compared to HP's approximately, um.... 0 SF.

But Houston Pavilions will have about 220,000 sf of office space. Downtown office users average only about 300 square feet of office space per employee. As such, the daytime population of HP's office component will likely be greater than the nighttime population in West Avenue's residential component.