The Shops At Arrive: Retail And Residential Complex In Upper Kirby

houstonsemipro

I never said the Main/Fannin line which I've ridden was a bad idea. If it came sooner we may have gotten the Olympics...

If it were up to me there would be commuter rail down Westheimer to Westchase or at least the the beltway but Kirby has a turn lane and even a median in sections that could be whittled down to make room for a light rail that would get loads of ridership once it's completed in say 5-10 years as this part of town is getting denser and denser.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
If you guys would like to see what the location where Jalapeno's Restaurant is looks like go to this website: http://maps.a9.com/ Then click on Houston, and finally put in this address in the location box: 2702 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX

You can use this site to look at a lot of streets in many major cites across the USA.

that A9 thing is pretty wild. i just saw my cat in the window of

my apartment (pictured there from the street) --- creepy!

the a9 maps site no longer works. :(

• 2 months later...
Construction is underway...started earlier this week. This project is going to be incredible when finished. Lots of residential and lots of retail. Just can't believe how many great projects are about to break ground!!! It's a good time to be in Houston..

You said it largeTEXAS!! I'm bummed that I'm living here in LA now. It's going to be real exciting to see what Houston looks like in about 5 years or less. It's like the Pavilions groundbreaking announcement started a domino effect with all of these other projects. Pavilions, Finger tower, City Centre, Kirby@Westheimer, I really hope they start construction soon on Blvd. Place and High Street. Even though it'll never happen, could you imagine if they built a rail line down Westheimer? You could take the rail from Blvd. Place to High Street to this Westheimer project to the Pavilions, plus the whole Montrose area. In a perfect world. Oh well this is all still awesome news!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What's the status of this project?

Does anyone have any updated information on this? Any announced retail tenants? Photos?

I did find that this is now known as West Avenue and "Phase one" is supposed to be: 5 acres; 180,000 sq. ft. of retail; 380 apartments

Estimated completion: Late 2008 or early 2009

Edited by Houston19514

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anybody know what this is?

485524786d0c4dd5d88bzl3.jpg

Looks like someone misplaced the original Pavilions buildings, with the residential included...

I had no idea that this development was going to look this cool. Have they broken ground on this? Dirt turning? Cranes?

All this time I thought HP, BLVD Place, Rice Village, and Regent Square were going to be the next big things in Houston, but this rendering makes this project look better than or equal to any of them.

Edited by Mister X

Wow. That looks sweet. Does anyone know why they have named this Development "West Ave"?

just a guess, but it might be reference to and a shortened version of "Westheimer Avenue", or "West Ave" ?? That's my guess, anyway..

Edited by heightslurker

I wondered the same thing, but I would assume it is just a made up developer name with no more meaning than "Regent Square".

The driveway in the photo is not a main street, so it must be a new side street within the project.

• 2 weeks later...

In a way, this project is what Pavilions coulda woulda shoulda been. At the same time, Pavilions will probably be more feasable for anyone, while this one will not. So I guess it works out :)

But does this project include residential or is all that space above office space?

In a way, this project is what Pavilions coulda woulda shoulda been. At the same time, Pavilions will probably be more feasable for anyone, while this one will not. So I guess it works out :)

But does this project include residential or is all that space above office space?

judging by all the balconies, looks to have residential.

Does anyone know if those stores in the renderings are real? I googled them and didn't come up with anything. But then agian, I don't know what type of companies they are.

And is the university line passing close by this? If so, that's a huge bonus.

Edited by lockmat

What I really like about this project is, instead of the building taking up this whole block, they place that little avenue in the middle. I hope if they ever decide to build a structure on that midtown Superblock, they do something similar like maybe having a plaza in the middle so it's not just one huge building.

And is the university line passing close by this? If so, that's a huge bonus.

Richmond and Westheimer are close, but I don't think they are close enough at this point, you still have West Alabama in the way.

Edited by Pumapayam

It's definitely within walking distance from Richmond. The walk from Richmond to Westheimer up Kirby is 0.56 miles (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=974006). This development is going to stretch down to Kipling which is 0.4 miles from Richmond.

0.4 miles is probably 5-6 minutes walking. The only problem is it isn't really that nice of a walk (it's a walk past a lot of strip centers), so there isn't a lot of shade on the sidewalk.

One thing I like about development that goes right up to the sidewalk is that it allows for buildings to install awnings in order to provide some shade to pedestrians.

• Highrise Tower changed the title to The Shops At Arrive: Retail And Residential Complex In Upper Kirby