The Shops At Arrive: Mixed-Use Development At 2800 Kirby Dr.

In the meantime, Romero's The Courtyard on St. James, a private event facility and lunch-only restaurant located at 1885 St. James Place, will serve many of Jalapenos' most popular dishes.

The catering arm of Jalapenos will relocate to The Courtyard and continue to operate.

I really wish someone would open another club there at 1885 St James Place. It always bugged me that this is what it became after The Ocean Club closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm..looks awesome!

And, do I spot..retail? It sort of resembles that thingy in San Diego (or is it San Jose?) except..better!

Wow. And I've noticed the sign for the new residential tower across the street where the Page Parkes building is up too (I know, that doesn't mean much), so that strip could be quite different soon.

I'm glad developers are doing alot of projects like this in and around Montrose. To dense-ify this funky area of town.

Well they like to be called Upper Kirby. Go figure!

This is awesome I hope it is successful and so other developers can follow this great example. I know there are plenty of other project out there inside the loop that have done this, but specifically speaking, I wish the developers building the Target retail center near Rice Military will redo there plans to be more like or similar to this.

This is awesome I hope it is successful and so other developers can follow this great example. I know there are plenty of other project out there inside the loop that have done this, but specifically speaking, I wish the developers building the Target retail center near Rice Military will redo there plans to be more like or similar to this.

I'm guessing that these projects only get built in places with super expensive real estate. That land over in Rice Military was probably relatively cheap compared to Upper Kirby.

Is cheap land here why we don't see many of these cool projects that we envy in other cities? If so, that means that all we have to do is wait and they will spring up in bunches once land goes above a certain price.

Any commercial developers out there that want to expand on that?

i think its more the fact that these projects just dont exist yet. Houston developers and lenders are accustomed to one type of development. Once a few of these are off the ground, (and the one posted should break ground soon), people will see that it can work.

This one is going to have two floors of retail, totaling 150,000 sf of retail. It will be a district in itself. There will also be a level of parking below.

^^

Kirby@westheimer. SE corner, I think.

Now, isnt this project, like, right next to, or close to the new tower to go up on Kirby? If so, this will be a big selling point, and hopefully, lead to more neat stuff like that later on.

Edited by UrbaNerd

Its close to the proposed 2727 Kirby project, which is the Paige parkes building, basically across the street. Kirby at Westheimer is going to be a really cool corner in a couple of years. I always have liked the plaza where taco Milagro is, you have the other side where River Oaks grill is, the rendering above will be on the other corner and the 2727 plaza won't be far off. Who knows, maybe it will eventually fill in all the way down to Highland Village. I guess not entirely possible since central Market takes up a huge amount of space, but still will be cool.

Looks very large. I wonder how this area of town will look in five years, after these projects (assuming that they're completed) are done and the completion of the University-to-Uptown rail line is realized?

Will these lead to an even greater transformation of the area? Will it spread west toward Greenway Plaza?

"Will it spread west torward Greenway Plaza".

This is a great point. I've always wondered why this area seemed, well a little dead. It seems to me that it would be ripe for residential developement considering it's close proximity to pretty much everything.

I believe I did read (on haif) that there was a large residential project in the area. I think it was in an existing commercial building.

Edited by Gary

believe I did read (on haif) that there was a large residential project in the area. I think it was in an existing commercial building.

There are a couple, in fact. See threads in the Galleria/West Houston folder that speak to them specifically. There's a redo of an existing governmental building that could be interesting. Also, a residential development near the Edward's Cinema and the Mercedes-Benz dealership is supposed to go up on the empty lot next to Lakewood Church. The latter is pretty speculative at this point, though.

Also, a residential development near the Edward's Cinema and the Mercedes-Benz dealership is supposed to go up on the empty lot next to Lakewood Church. The latter is pretty speculative at this point, though.

No, that is just a strip mall, with a gas station and several comic book stores for the crowd at the movie theater. And maybe a mommy and me day camp.

So, is this complex going to be across the street from the Kirby Condos? I thought that they were also at Kirby and Westheimer.

I am guessing one of these buildings is replacing the Jalapenos restaurant and the Shell at the corner. What other corner is getting leveled?