Pecan Park Neighborhood Developments

Guest danax

For those who don't know, I live in Pecan Park, a neighborhood located inside the loop where the East End meets Gulfgate. Established in 1927 and built out by the late 40s, it's really now a name for a large area that encompases many separate adjacent subdivisions. The homes are typical middle-class dwellings from that era. Other than the train that runs along Griggs on the northern edge of the area, the location is nice and will only become more desirable to Houstonians over time. So I, along with other residents here, wonder what the future holds for the neighborhood. I figure 1 of 3 things will happen; 1) enough people move in from outside the area and decide to restore the homes and preserve the 1940s character 2) widespread demolition and townhouse construction takes over as the homes are smaller than current "standards" and the mature trees and the peaceful street grid become a nice backdrop, as opposed to other townhouse areas that are converting from semi-industrial and thus, have to endure harsher street scenes for years to come. A couple of Perry Homes developments have already sprung up on the edges of the neighborhood. Or 3) "McMansions", those monster homes that move into urban neighborhoods like the Incredible Hulk, destroying everything in their path. Those tend to be upscale families and our schools here, while not bad, might scare those off. The other option would be just standing pat but I believe that is highly unlikely.

Well, sure enough we've had a our first examples spring up lately. Not by big-name developers but by small-time builders. While I accept the inevitablity of these types of projects, I cringe at the possiblity of misquided builders coming in and slapping up cheapie versions of what we see in other parts of town, just trying to make a quick buck. Here's what I'm talking about;

This looks ok at first glance. High-profile corner, decent design. But where's the garage? There is a rather narrow piece of land behind the home but no sign of any slab there. Oh, I get it. They'll just pave the front leaving no lawn. Or, maybe just park on the lawn itself, like others in the neighborhood. Is this an example of "ghetto-fabulousity"; trying so hard to impress everyone that the basic necessities, like parking, are ignored? I hope I end up eating my words and a 2 car garage magically appears.

http://tinypic.com/ekmcza.jpg

Here's our first townhouse. This guy, another small-time "developer" presented the Civic Club with nice plans for full brick veneer construction with 2 car garages (both pictures below are next to each other by the same guy). Well, the ol' bait and switch and this is what he has built. Again, no garage. At least they have driveways but still, how tacky. Cheap city. Still completely unfinished inside but for sale anyway (see the classy sign below the address sign). He tried to build 3 of these,even though the deed restrictions prohibit more than one residence on a lot, but he disregarded the restrictions and started to build anyway and we had to go to the replat hearing and stop him.

http://tinypic.com/ekn7dl.jpghttp://tinypic.com/ekn5ty.jpg

I hope that the marketplace spanks these guys and lets them know that this kind of third-world, no-consideration-for-the-neighborhood version of modern housing won't fly here.

I hope that the marketplace spanks these guys and lets them know that this kind of third-world, no-consideration-for-the-neighborhood version of modern housing won't fly here.

I'm with you on that, especially on the townhomes, but McMansions (or is that a mini-McMansion?) do seem to be popular.

Do you have any pics of current housing? I had an aunt and uncle who lived NE of Lawndale and 75th; bought in the 40s and lived there until the 90s. That's north of Griggs. Is it like that?

I'm with you on that, especially on the townhomes, but McMansions (or is that a mini-McMansion?) do seem to be popular.

Do you have any pics of current housing? I had an aunt and uncle who lived NE of Lawndale and 75th; bought in the 40s and lived there until the 90s. That's north of Griggs. Is it like that?

Your aunt and uncle probably lived in Mason Park addition, built a little after Pecan Park, mostly during the 40s. Great spot near the park and cute homes too. Here are a couple of Pecan Park homes that are for sale now;

eknqly.jpg Best of the neighborhood. Currently under contract for 120K. 1668 sq. ft. with matching garage apt.

eknqyb.jpg $90,500, 1193 sq. ft.

eknr77.jpg $90K, 1142 sq. ft.

eknrec.jpg $92,900. 1332 sq. ft. This represents the bottom. A lot of these types were built during WWII and, as this one indicates, the residents have not done much to enhance them.

It's a hit and miss neighborhood and frankly, a lot of the lower-end ones are so trashed at this point they almost need to be demolished. If widespread re-invention is our destiny, then I really hope it is done in a classier fashion than what I've seen so far.

I would like to be a developer one day, and these are the types of homes I would like to build in Bryan/College Station. I see nothing wrong with trying to make quick money, as long as they don't just throw up anything. Construction can still be cheap and quality at the sametime.

ekn5ty.jpg

Danax,

Are the skinny houses, the ones you can see going up from near 45 at Broad?

I have been curious about those. They are sort of cute, but definately a poor design with front of house parking.

So what will happen now that the builder has been stopped?

Will they just rot or will he be forced to remove at least one of the structures?

Danax,

Are the skinny houses, the ones you can see going up from near 45 at Broad?

I have been curious about those. They are sort of cute, but definately a poor design with front of house parking.

So what will happen now that the builder has been stopped?

Will they just rot or will he be forced to remove at least one of the structures?

Yes Gnu, those are the ones. He won't have to remove either because they are 1 to a lot. He wanted to build a 2nd one on the same lot as the brick-faced one, and was stopped. Allowing the lots to be replatted would've made it difficult to stop anyone else to do the same thing, and that's how neighborhoods go townhouse as it then becomes profitable to tear down an old house and build 2 more townhouses in it's place. The civic club decided not to allow that. He was told that before he started and said ok, then went ahead and tried asking the city for a replat anyway behind our backs.

So, he might be underwater financially without being able to build 3 but he should've checked the deed restrictions before buying the lots and tearing down the old house. It looks like he's run out of money as they've sat in various different stages of completion all year. I think they're at least weather-proof at this point so they might sit until he gets more money.

The design is not horrible but the thing that gets me is no garage. The other thing is that this is an example of an attitude of arrogance, lawlessness and disregard for the existing regulations of the neighborhood, similar to example in the topic by nmainguy about the brick wall, that citizens need to watch out for.

Yes Gnu, those are the ones. He won't have to remove either because they are 1 to a lot. He wanted to build a 2nd one on the same lot as the brick-faced one, and was stopped. Allowing the lots to be replatted would've made it difficult to stop anyone else to do the same thing, and that's how neighborhoods go townhouse as it then becomes profitable to tear down an old house and build 2 more townhouses in it's place. The civic club decided not to allow that. He was told that before he started and said ok, then went ahead and tried asking the city for a replat anyway behind our backs.

So, he might be underwater financially without being able to build 3 but he should've checked the deed restrictions before buying the lots and tearing down the old house. It looks like he's run out of money as they've sat in various different stages of completion all year. I think they're at least weather-proof at this point so they might sit until he gets more money.

The design is not horrible but the thing that gets me is no garage. The other thing is that this is an example of an attitude of arrogance, lawlessness and disregard for the existing regulations of the neighborhood, similar to example in the topic by nmainguy about the brick wall, that citizens need to watch out for.

Ahhh..i misread your original post.. i thought he had already built two on the same lot.

It will definately make the lots look huge with a narrow tiny house and no garage.

Who is the builder? Has he built anything else?

Builders always seem to be trying to get away with as much as they can. I am surprised he even talked to the civic club in the first place.

It's good to see your Civic Club is on top of things.

On the McMansion..you gotta think that if someone is building a big house like that then they are gonna put in a garage somewhere. Maybe that comes later after they get more money? I bet they build a circle drive in front..maybe they are anticipating just lining up the cars in the drive?

I would like to be a developer one day, and these are the types of homes I would like to build in Bryan/College Station. I see nothing wrong with trying to make quick money, as long as they don't just throw up anything. Construction can still be cheap and quality at the sametime.

ekn5ty.jpg

Good for you. And please stay up there, while you're at it.

I have a question. Are these prices correct? Or am I looking at it wrong? http://www.har.com/cs_condo.htm

put in price from nothing all the way to $20,000. Are these condos in Houston really that cheap? If so I will move to Hoston now. I have enough to pay cash for some of these places.

man those are cheap...but i wouldn't really want to live near airport blvd and sandpiper rd. either... :unsure:

Those are very pretty homes (the second set of pics you posted).! Honestly, I'd come out there looking for a home right now, had I not also seen the garbage they're building in the area in the first pics you posted too. It's truly sad to see.

It's understandable how people have to settle for price over character and quality. But HOW do people settle for size over character and quality?

I have a question. Are these prices correct? Or am I looking at it wrong? http://www.har.com/cs_condo.htm

put in price from nothing all the way to $20,000. Are these condos in Houston really that cheap? If so I will move to Hoston now. I have enough to pay cash for some of these places.

There will always be a group of very cheap condos on the market. The main reason is because, once the percentage of non-owner occupant owners (investors) in the entire complex gets over 50%, it becomes virtually impossible to get a mortgage for any of the units, meaning all sales would have to be either seller-financed or cash. So, the cheap ones are probably already over 50% investor units. And, say you buy one that's 70% owner-occupied then, over time, the neighborhood declines and people start renting them out, the percentage could fall below the loanability level and you, and many others, would be pretty much stuck unable to sell. Plus, you've got to factor in the monthly homeowners association dues. If you have cash and are not worried about selling it, they can be profitable for monthly cash flow.

ekmcza.jpg

ekn7dl.jpgekn5ty.jpg

Oh look. They built crap. Again.

I feel for you danax. Keep the pressure on these people so as not to have too many future slum dwellings pop up.

B)

Why?

Because they are crap.

Please stay there and make your fast cash.

Please do not-I REPEAT: PLEASE do not return.

B)

eknqly.jpg

What is the address for this one? I will send it to my sister. She doesn't like oversized 3500+ sft houses.

It's 1817 Delmas. Someone's got a contract on it and the option period has expired. A friend of mine wants it too but the agent said they already have backups on it. It probably could've sold for $140K. When I said it's the best of Pecan Park I meant exactly that, there really aren't any others like it, although there are a few other brick bungalows around. I've been inside and it is well cared for with nice hardwoods, large rooms, 9 foot ceilings, central a/c and original art deco touches like 2 panel doors with glass knobs, formal dining room, side porch with french doors etc. The only bad thing is that it's about a block from the train. My house is too and you somehow stop hearing it after awhile.

I've seen a couple of the other houses in the neighborhood after they've been restored and, while not quite as handsome on the outside as this one, can be very nice.

It's 1817 Delmas. Someone's got a contract on it and the option period has expired. A friend of mine wants it too but the agent said they already have backups on it. It probably could've sold for $140K. When I said it's the best of Pecan Park I meant exactly that, there really aren't any others like it, although there are a few other brick bungalows around. I've been inside and it is well cared for with nice hardwoods, large rooms, 9 foot ceilings, central a/c and original art deco touches like 2 panel doors with glass knobs, formal dining room, side porch with french doors etc. The only bad thing is that it's about a block from the train. My house is too and you somehow stop hearing it after awhile.

I've seen a couple of the other houses in the neighborhood after they've been restored and, while not quite as handsome on the outside as this one, can be very nice.

I'll take solace in the old addage that you should always buy the worst house in the best 'hood...not the other way around.

Who is the builder? Has he built anything else?

Builders always seem to be trying to get away with as much as they can. I am surprised he even talked to the civic club in the first place.

It's good to see your Civic Club is on top of things.

I talked to the president of our civic association last night and she filled me in on some more of the story of this townhouse "builder". I won't bore you all with details just that he first tried to put up some rinky-dink used car lot against deed restrictions, was informed that he couldn't and was stopped by the city, after he had poured 2 commercial driveways and erected some shack, which he had to tear down. Then, he proceeded to sue the civic club to allow him to do this anyway, which cost the neighborhood $5000 to defend and win, which represented many years of fundraiser proceeds. Then, he decided to build 4 townhouses, was told no, showed plans for 2 nice ones, was told yes, went ahead and tried to replat to build 3 anyway as I described above. The result; everyone has lost money and we have a couple of half-finished, two-story shotgun shacks sitting there.

I don't want to sound so negative but the guy is an example of someone who wants to ignore everyone else and do exactly what he wants. He underestimated the resistance and now he is a loser as a result. Also, and I mention this only because it pertains to neighborhoods in Houston, and other cities, but especially here since we have no zoning, he is from somewhere south of the border where, apparently, deed restrictions are literally a foreign concept. This is not to assume that all foreigners have such blatant disrespect for our civic regulations, I assume rather that most want to obey them.

However, if you live in an area that is being populated by foreigners from the south, make sure your deed restrictions are solid and watch what is going on. Once something is built, it's much harder to get the city to tear it down.

eknqly.jpg

Damn, I like this one, too. And only $120K. That's close to highway robbery, unless it needs significant work like a new roof or new floor.

I went inside and it seemed fine, in fact, pampered. It was ready to go and not a remuddle job either, very original, modest/elegant 1940 (the year it was built) feel. And a garage apt. in matching brick to boot.

I think the agent underestimated the interest that he received and could've got more based on just that but a house has to appraise to sell and this one is an example of the best house in an area where comparable sales would be around 90-100K. So, I'm guessing the appraisal wouldn't have been able to go much higher, although the same, identical house in West U would go for $350-400K. It's about a block from the train tracks too.

eknqly.jpg

Damn, I like this one, too. And only $120K. That's close to highway robbery, unless it needs significant work like a new roof or new floor.

Well if everyone is so hot to trot for a yellow brick eastside cottage then d#$%^it, somebody buy this new listing off of me in Houston C. C. Place. $159,900 isn't that much more...

IMG_0777.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

How do we know these are built poorly? You really can't tell anything from looking at the outside. Yes it does look at first glance that with no garage that it isn't a great house but that doesn't mean the foundation isn't good ( it looks like a piece of crap to me, no real building pad from what I can tell), or it isn't clipped and strapped properly. I would think tht with some minor design upgrades these coupld be a nice option in the more moderate priced housing market. they could work well as cluster housing with apartment style parking perhaps? in fact I don't like front loading garages as the elevation. That being said many times there really isn't a better option because to do rear loading garages would cost to much in many cases.

Oh look. They built crap. Again.

I feel for you danax. Keep the pressure on these people so as not to have too many future slum dwellings pop up.

B)

Because they are crap.

Please stay there and make your fast cash.

Please do not-I REPEAT: PLEASE do not return.

B)

carbor,as you probably know alot of these homes were built on jacks anyways instead of foundations. I don't think alot of people here realize that. This is Houston, you are hard pressed to find ANY home built in the 50's or 60's or even up to the 80's that doesn't have settling if it has a foundation, I don't care who the builder is. The swamp that this city was built on, sinks at a very slow pace, but it does and is sinking. Foundations do and are cracking. Most of it is not from crappy builders, just crappy land it was built on. :D

carbor,as you probably know alot of these homes were built on jacks anyways instead of foundations. I don't think alot of people here realize that. This is Houston, you are hard pressed to find ANY home built in the 50's or 60's or even up to the 80's that doesn't have settling if it has a foundation, I don't care who the builder is. The swamp that this city was built on, sinks at a very slow pace, but it does and is sinking. Foundations do and are cracking. Most of it is not from crappy builders, just crappy land it was built on. :D

I could be wrong but, I think carbor was talking about the new construction houses (from the original thread topic), not the little HCC bungalow.

ekn7dl.jpg

OMFG...its about to be eaten alive by the shrubbery!

Plus, HCAD has it on for $134k, and I think that's rather generous.

HCAD figures very seldom have anything to do with market value. They have more to do with how well someone fought their taxes than anything. $134k would be well below market for that one.

Archived