Texas Medical Center Smith Lands Parking Lots At 1573-1643 Old Spanish Trl.

torvald

Perhaps named for R.E. "Bob" Smith, partner of Roy Hofheinz in the Houston Sports Assoc., thus in spearheading the drive to build the Astrodome and bring Major League BB to Houston.

The Handbook of Texas says at one time he owned more land in Harris County than any one else, 11,000 acres. I'm wondering if the land where the Astrodome sits and the area around there was owned by him.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Smith Lands Parking Lots
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to The Smith Lands Parking Lots At 1573-1643 Old Spanish Trail

R.E. Bob Smith did own the land that the Astrodome was built on. He was one of Judge Roy Hofheinz partners in making the Astrodome happen.

I have a very interesting 11 x 20 black and white photo of the groundbreaking for the stadium. Instead of shovels, this group of men are wearing dusters and  black raincoats and are aiming Colt 45's at the ground, in honor of their original teams name. It's a great photo. They look like a posse.

One other fact. When they first built colt 45 stadium there was a very well known amusement park next door called Playland Park on south Main. It had a great wooden rollercoaster and bumper cars and many other rides. Right next door to Playland Park was a stock car race track and just down the road was a short test track monorail that had been built to present a life size replica of the monorail for Houston in the 60's. If I remember it went about 2 blocks. I went on a ride and hoped they would build this very Buck Rogers retro cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to the game here, but I thought that Smith Lands referred to the vast amount of property owned Obedience Smith. Most of the land from downtown to Rice and as far west as Shepherd. When I've read about her, there is usually a reference to the "Smith Lands". Though, I think the parking lot may be south of her original grant. So, I'm not 100% sure.

More about her story here

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/03/01/newscolumn2.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I'm late to the game here, but I thought that Smith Lands referred to the vast amount of property owned Obedience Smith. Most of the land from downtown to Rice and as far west as Shepherd. When I've read about her, there is usually a reference to the "Smith Lands". Though, I think the parking lot may be south of her original grant. So, I'm not 100% sure.

More about her story here

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/03/01/newscolumn2.html

The Smith Lands lot is in P W Rose survey, A-645. The Smith Survey, A-696, is more Montrose/Neartown. You can see these on the Railroad Commission GIS site, which is the best resource I've found for determining which survey a piece of property is in.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to TMC The Smith Lands Parking Lots At 1573-1643 Old Spanish Trl.
  • 11 months later...
  • The title was changed to Texas Medical Center Smith Lands Parking Lots At 1573-1643 Old Spanish Trl.