Shamrock Tower At 617 Main St.

dbigtex56

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit there are many people in this town that have much more faith than me in this project. Call me a skeptic, but somebody needs to give me a compelling argument in order to believe that this development team could get a project like this done... give me just one example of a project of this caliber that they've been able to get built.

Please.

I must admit there are many people in this town that have much more faith than me in this project. Call me a skeptic, but somebody needs to give me a compelling argument in order to believe that this development team could get a project like this done... give me just one example of a project of this caliber that they've been able to get built.

Please.

Dominion at Post Oak. I honestly thought that was not going to get built. Also the Memorial Hermann Plaza in TMC. Construction has already started. I thought that was going to end up like the AIM Headquarters on the Southwest Freeway.

Yes, I know those projects - the Memorial Hermann project intimately.

Sorry, let me clarify... what I meant to say was what has the development team of the Shamrock ever done of this same caliber? The examples you gave - and that I can list in Houston - have all been developed by seasoned veterans. The most recent high-rise developments in this city have been done by companies with stellar reputations - and were financed by companies which demand strong credentials - and impeccable resources.

When I talk to real estate experts in Houston about the Shamrock - and the developer - all I ever get is a chuckle and a lot of negativity. I hate to play Scrooge, but I think the best thing that could happen would be for them to flip the land, make a little money on that, and watch a condo development team (who has done it before, either here or elsewhere) put up a project that we can all be proud of. It is a great site... no doubt. I just seriously doubt that this project can get done with the current cast of characters. :mellow:

What is with all the doubt people? There are too many people that have already bought units in these projects going up. Why would they just quit the development?

They would quit b/c they have sold them for less than it costs to build. They would quit b/c they can't get financing. They would quit b/c they have sold all premium views for less than it costs to build and their only hope of breaking even, much less making any money, is to either go back to the buyers and bump costs WAY up, or to charge an arm and a leg for the crappy units.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

TNJ

• 2 weeks later...

Please.

I spent many years in multi-family. I am familiar with the "development team" as well from their years in that field. I second the motion.....

• 2 weeks later...

You guys beat me to it!! hahahahah. But anyways, my sentiments exactly: cleaning? CLEANING? This sound more like someone telling you something you want to hear.

But hey, I actually have faith in this project. This is Houston. We do the impossible.

Cleaning the site, you say?

"'If seven maids with seven mops

Swept it for half a year,

Do you suppose,' the Walrus said,

'That they could get it clear?"

'I doubt it,' said the Carpenter,

And shed a bitter tear.

Lewis Carroll, "Through The Looking Glass"

According to the Shamrock Website, almost all the units have been sold.

What's interesting is the that the unsold ones aren't in any pattern.

It's not like the upper floors aren't selling because of price. And it's not like the lower floors aren't selling because of lack of view. It just a few scattered through the proposed complex.

Also according recent studies of the downtown and midtown areas, the demand for residential population in the are is much higher than available housing.

Approximately 80,000 people in the survey would like to move to the downtown midtown area. And of those 80,000, approximately 30,000 could afford housing in the area.

They translated this into at maximum many more high rise facilities. I don't remember the number. If this pans out, the skyline of downtown would blend into midtown.

I can't wait to see if it pans out

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have my hopes up but I believe hell (houston) may have frozen over. And not only because of the weather! Jus drove by shamrock and they've removed the black covering from tha construction fence and....there's a big piece of machinery at ground zero surrounded by hard hatted individuals. They could be jus f****n with the sewers or somethin but either way what would that have to do with tha park and pay? I think there's a big chance this has 2 do with tha shamrocks groundbreaking. Could it be? A miracle? Well this is the SEASON 4 miracles! I really thought the project was gonna be scrapped and was about 2 write a "hey its late December and no groundbreaking as promised" post but I may have 2 put that on hold. Anyone else know what kind of machinery that is out there if you've seen it?

I don't have my hopes up but I believe hell (houston) may have frozen over. And not only because of the weather! Jus drove by shamrock and they've removed the black covering from tha construction fence and....there's a big piece of machinery at ground zero surrounded by hard hatted individuals. They could be jus f****n with the sewers or somethin but either way what would that have to do with tha park and pay? I think there's a big chance this has 2 do with tha shamrocks groundbreaking. Could it be? A miracle? Well this is the SEASON 4 miracles! I really thought the project was gonna be scrapped and was about 2 write a "hey its late December and no groundbreaking as promised" post but I may have 2 put that on hold. Anyone else know what kind of machinery that is out there if you've seen it?

interesting...i'm gonna drive by there tmrw...

Well, I had one of those non binding "reservations" on a unit in the Shamrock Tower and they called me to say the condo documents are ready for review. I guess the project is moving foward, although I don't think I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. It just looks too risky right now.

I was just down there and didn't see any equipment, or any construction permit posted either. Maybe the miracle is slightly delayed?

I was just down there and didn't see any equipment, or any construction permit posted either.  Maybe the miracle is slightly delayed?

I drove by there this morning and saw clearly a truck with drilling equipment roughly in the same area where the McD's used to be. There was a ton of mud being pulled up...

Seemed like they were pulling samples...just a guess.

Archived