Greyhound Bus Station Barbershop

Don Julio

When I lived in Houston I used to have my hair cut at the Greyhound Bus Station barbershop. The hours were to my liking: basically all day and into the night. The price was to my wallet's liking: $6, later inflation adjusted to $8.

The main guys there were Reuben (morning/afternoon) and Mr. Green (evening). Does anyone know if they are still there?

Dont know. But remember when it was a Continental Trailways station? Well, the lady that worked at the gift shop way back then....is still there!!

BTW. I remember as a kid, when we would come to visit Houston on a Trailways bus every summer, that there used to be a bus station right in the middle of downtown. Dont remember if it was the Trailways station before they moved to the current Greyhound location, or if it was the Greyhound station at that time. All I remember is that it was like in the middle of downtown, maybe travis or lousiana or something, and that it had circular features to the building corners, possible hiding ramps that allowed the busses to go up several levels. Anyone remember something like this?

Dont know. But remember when it was a Continental Trailways station? Well, the lady that worked at the gift shop way back then....is still there!!

BTW. I remember as a kid, when we would come to visit Houston on a Trailways bus every summer, that there used to be a bus station right in the middle of downtown. Dont remember if it was the Trailways station before they moved to the current Greyhound location, or if it was the Greyhound station at that time. All I remember is that it was like in the middle of downtown, maybe travis or lousiana or something, and that it had circular features to the building corners, possible hiding ramps that allowed the busses to go up several levels. Anyone remember something like this?

In the 50s and 60s and probably beyond that, there was a Greyhound station on Texas, probably between San Jacinto and Caroline. Busses entered the docking area off Caroline on the side. I don't remember anything about the architecture of the building except the big barn out back that served as a docking bay.

• 3 weeks later...

Only the garage portion of that bus station remained in 1998, and it was used as an auto repair shop. The bus bays were used for covered parking for the Great Southwest Building at Texas and Austin. In 2000, in anticipation of the baseball stadium opening, the rest of the bus bays were demolished, so the entire block could be used for surface parking.

Here is the Continental Trailways station. It was on McKinney at San Jacinto.

trailways.jpg

Archived