Holland Lodge 1 AF&AM At 4911 Montrose Blvd.

"A 51-year-old Masonic lodge on Montrose sticks out among trendy restaurants, world-class museums and contemporary residential high-rises. But it might not be there for long." -Nancy Sarnoff, October 1, 2005 Houston Chronicle

Is this section of Montrose Blvd. (south of 59) fated to become a row of high-rise condos and/or apartments?

• Like 1

frankly I think it is a very cool building that sort of fits for the area.... perhaps it could be gutted and turned into another museum?

Could be, but at $15 million?

Highrise seems more likely. This location is in a sort-of similar spot, in a semi-symmetrical kind of way, to the Almeda/Binz project. Views of park, Med Cntr, DT and this one would be on the"good" side of the tracks within walking to Montrose and Museum Dist.

Will this end of Montrose become Hermann Park West with working-man penthouses?

I'll just add that I have been inside this building and it is already set up to be a museum quite easily.... there would not be much build out necessary...

obviously the issue is that as a museum it wouldn't be a big moneymaker thus for the price tag it probably won't happen...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 16 years later...
2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what exactly happens in this building?! I live right near it and have never seen anyone enter or exit the building.

Well, it's an active Masonic lodge (in fact, the oldest one in Texas, although it occupied various other locations prior to the current structure being built in the mid-1950s), so I'd assume lodge members hold regular meetings and other events there. For what it's worth, I'm not sure I've ever seen much (if any) discernable activity around any Masonic lodge. 

Google Maps has a few pics of the interior here:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x8640bf7efc118941%3A0xc863aa40c09b2fc!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipP3B7SC8jJvAusaJm6EbgvxFT7aXgNIAKlHwcp2%3Dw136-h160-k-no!5smasonic lodge montrose - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPqE550Ar13zpCf0vdZl5In9QwhHcaWo91Bi24L&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi0uMDAh6P1AhVWmWoFHU6sDOcQoip6BAgtEAM

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Masonic Lodge On Montrose Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Holland Lodge 1 AF&AM At 4911 Montrose Blvd.