KatieDidIt

Yeah that's my dentist. Dr. Preston Cutbirth. I think he's high up on the Magnolia Chamber of Commerce. I can understand the reason for wanting The Woodlands in the name because its going to be right between Kuykendahl and Research Forest when they push through TW. Alden Bridge is right behind it! There are plenty of businesses NOT in TW that have TW in their name.

If I were potential business, I would have a huge concern about confusing my location by having a Magnolia name and/or address. We live nearby in Greenfield Forest, and everyone assumes we live near the city of Magnolia. At least the "Woodlands West" name gave a clear indication of the location.

I noticed on the map this area has a name "Egypt", however there is another town called Egypt just north of Wharton. Considering the population explosion that we are about to experience in this area, there has to be better name to define this area. How about "Magnolia East"?!?

That is a real problem with the area. The 2978 & 1488 area is booming. With Kroger having a Conroe phone number and mailing address and the other 3 corners Magnolia, the area does need its own identity and post office in my opinion. The Home Depot is known as Woodlands West and the First Bank of Conroe branch across the side street is known as the Magnolia branch. It must confuse the heck outta the 911 folks.

I drove by the development this evening and noticed that the name has been changed once again, to Westwood Village. At least that makes some sense because most of the parcel was actually an undeveloped part of the Westwood subdivision. I'd have to agree though that there's still an identity crisis. We've lived in the area for ten years and I'm happy with saying I live in "Magnolia". At least there's a city associated with the name. When we first moved here it was sort of referred to as the "Bear Branch" area because of the elementary and junior high school names.

In the absence of any overall regulation and zoning I wish the county commissioners took a more active role in steering developers toward appropriate names for areas. But then again, this is "Greater Houston" so what can I expect.

As for Starbucks, I wouldn't count them out. They're probably making plans now to put one on the north side and one on the south side.

Well, treeless or not, at least it will bring some essentials closer to those of us in the area. That 30 minute drive up to 45 has really become a drag. However, the area will be built before the roads will. Its going to be a congestion nightmare for sometime.

• 3 months later...

I am attempting to restart this thread because the old one was drifting off topic. Please start other threads to discuss trees and dentists.

Have any other stores committed to this development?

Will the anchor store be a Target or Super Target?

when will RF get extended??

The official report I have heard is Research Forest will be completed when 1488 goes four lanes. TW has a concern that RF will be a bypass for the 1488 traffic.

Already the Stonebridge Church is having problems with people (like me :blush: ) knowing the gate code and using their access drive as a shortcut between RF and 1488.

See

This development will be a starter of a more general development of the 2978 area. It will generate more traffic, especially from TW on 2978. Anyone aware of expansion plans on 2978? I see properties for sale in a boom area. Although Walmart came in with the strategy to compete head-to-head with Target, with an "upscale" store, I expect Target to take some of their business away. Many TW residents in my estimation will elect to go to the new Target over the one in Town Center.

Anyone see what is happening with residential development planning along the 2978 corridor? It is difficult to get ones arms around what is happening there for commercial and residential futures.

• 2 weeks later...

The project seems to be continuing on without delay. New tenants have been listed such as Officemax, Famous Footwear, Ross, TJ Maxx, Chili's & Chickfila. The Starbucks has been added back on too. I am wondering how they are going to disguise those storage tanks located in the center section of the development. Trees, perhaps?

• 2 months later...
That is a real problem with the area. The 2978 & 1488 area is booming. With Kroger having a Conroe phone number and mailing address and the other 3 corners Magnolia, the area does need its own identity and post office in my opinion. The Home Depot is known as Woodlands West and the First Bank of Conroe branch across the side street is known as the Magnolia branch. It must confuse the heck outta the 911 folks.

1488 and 2978 are political boundaries and like all such boundaries, on one side there will be one political entity and the other side the other. Postal codes change, post office distribution systems change, etc etc. It has always felt strange to be at a boundary where one commercial area is be part of one political and tax authority and right next to it is another. In the end, sales taxes usually turn out to be the same, governed by the state maximum. Zip codes determine post office authority and rarely are new ones added. Of course redistribution of zip codes due to large population changes do occur. It looks like the new village of The Woodlands may have some sort of new post office, but I am not holding my breath. If it is located close to 2978 or Kuykendahl, it could serve a wide area currently serviced by Tomball. Maybe in the particular area you are referencing a country post office for local residents would be helpful. There is a new one of these on Kuykendahl now near Huffmeister but not very well known since it was established just one month ago.

• 1 month later...
Anyone aware of expansion plans on 2978?

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will conduct a public meeting (open house format/come and go as you desire) regarding the proposed widening of FM 2978 from FM 1488 to Dobbin Hufsmith Road in Montgomery County. The meeting will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday, September 27, 2007 at the Bear Branch Junior High, 31310 FM 2978 Magnolia, TX 77354. The purpose of this meeting is to present the proposed action, project status, and roadway alternative layouts as well as to listen to public comments and answer questions. TxDOT representatives will be available for informal discussion about the project.

Maybe in the particular area you are referencing a country post office for local residents would be helpful. There is a new one of these on Kuykendahl now near Huffmeister but not very well known since it was established just one month ago.

Could you elaborate on the country post office? I've never heard of that before. Also cannot figure out where or how Kuykendahl & Huffmeister intersect. Might you be referring to Hufsmith?

This development will be a starter of a more general development of the 2978 area. It will generate more traffic, especially from TW on 2978. Anyone aware of expansion plans on 2978? I see properties for sale in a boom area. Although Walmart came in with the strategy to compete head-to-head with Target, with an "upscale" store, I expect Target to take some of their business away. Many TW residents in my estimation will elect to go to the new Target over the one in Town Center.

Anyone see what is happening with residential development planning along the 2978 corridor? It is difficult to get ones arms around what is happening there for commercial and residential futures.

i checked txdot and the woodlands construction update on their websites and found nothing in the works for widening 2978. it looks like there are several small projects in and around the woodlands and, as you know, the widening of 1488 to 242.

• 4 weeks later...
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will conduct a public meeting (open house format/come and go as you desire) regarding the proposed widening of FM 2978 from FM 1488 to Dobbin Hufsmith Road in Montgomery County. The meeting will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday, September 27, 2007 at the Bear Branch Junior High, 31310 FM 2978 Magnolia, TX 77354. The purpose of this meeting is to present the proposed action, project status, and roadway alternative layouts as well as to listen to public comments and answer questions. TxDOT representatives will be available for informal discussion about the project.

Anyone attend? I had other business come up and prevent me from stopping by.

Also, the Magnolia Parkway C of C is reporting that it will be a SuperTarget.

Magnoila Parkway C of C on Westwood Village

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to 2

Archived