Happy Labor Day!

HeightsGuy

I am not for illegal immigration, however at least they provide something to the community. They are willing to work, they pay rent or own homes, thus pay taxes. They frequent stores with their business. That is a shrp contrast to all the bums who are nothing more than a drain on society. What happened to vagrancy laws?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No bus Parrothead.... I acted as the GC on a renovation of my home and used day laborers for demo work and some landscaping. And I would do it again if I needed them.

And I agree, if they do a nice job, a nice "tip" is in order...

Well poop. I thought maybe you were someone I know! Ah well. :)

I am not for illegal immigration, however at least they provide something to the community. They are willing to work, they pay rent or own homes, thus pay taxes. They frequent stores with their business. That is a shrp contrast to all the bums who are nothing more than a drain on society. What happened to vagrancy laws?

They are hard workers. My parking garage at work is next to a 3 story townhome project going up and I've watched them for weeks. No fooling around at the worksite, the nail guns are popping constantly and the place is looking good and going up quickly.

That said, we have to assume that

1) they pay no income tax,

2) if they do, it's probably somehow connected to ID theft (recent example here).

3) Why aren't the unions complaining? Maybe they are and I haven't heard about it. Are there just so many jobs in the building trades that it's no problem?

4) While they pay rent, a lot the places where they rent are run down and sometimes they make them even more run down. I just passed through Eastwood and there were nice, clean, cute homes that then there was the Bungalow from Hell; painted brick, cardboard sign on the mailbox with several family's names written on it in sideways marker scribbles, 6 cars parked on the bare-dirt front yard and one with it's doors open pumping Mexican music. Is is too much to ask to take a look around you and try to conform to the standards where you are, not where you came from? Or, is that somehow interfering with your culture and pride? Ugh. And, there was a For Rent sign out front. How many more can they hold? I stopped because it's heavy trash day and I spotted the 1920s french doors in the pile. Broken panes and the rest were painted white. Once fine doors, they, along with the home, have to suffer through the misery of the current occupants. Are they illegal? I don't know but they make the place look like Mexico so I will take the plunge and assume that they are. Had to vent that experience and my thoughts.

The whole thing is good for the businesses that hire them and for the illegals themselves but there is definitely a major downside.

That is a shrp contrast to all the bums who are nothing more than a drain on society. What happened to vagrancy laws?

I'll take a few hundred bums over millions and millions of illegals coming into our borders and getting free health care, free services, free schooling (which they provide free meals and freaking SPANISH classes). Bums aren't a drain on society, they live on the streets!

Here's advice for you guys, try not to get into an auto accident with an illegal, they'll have fake insurance cards or will just hit and run. Plus they will illegally drive cars that are the biggest polluters out in the streets and get away with it!

I'll take a few hundred bums over millions and millions of illegals coming into our borders and getting free health care, free services, free schooling (which they provide free meals and freaking SPANISH classes). Bums aren't a drain on society, they live on the streets!

Here's advice for you guys, try not to get into an auto accident with an illegal, they'll have fake insurance cards or will just hit and run. Plus they will illegally drive cars that are the biggest polluters out in the streets and get away with it!

Your post is uninformed and borderline predjudiced. If you're worried about someone with no insurance hitting you, then get the uninsured motorist insurance. Don't think for a second that illegal aliens are the only ones driving. At $100.00 a month or more, many poor U.S. citizens are driving without insurance.

Bums aren't a drain on society, they live on the streets!
This is the most uneducated statement someone could make. The homeless are more of a drain on our society because they contribute nothing back to society. As Danax noted above, at least our illegal hispanic aliens are heavily involved in the contruction business, pay rent, and pay sales taxes. Yes they get free healthcare, but so do the homeless. Last time I checked, we also can all go to public school for free.

As for the Spanish, sure I agree English first, but guess what - we've grown into a global market. What are you going to do, brainwash 25 million illegal aliens into speaking English?? It would be far easier to creat programs - THAT WORK - to get rid of our homeless and most poverty stricken poor first. Then we can address the issue of closing the borders and assimilating all here that are not yet official United States citizens.

The spanish speaking programs are set up at the elementary level so that the young ones can ease into a transition of speaking English, You'll notice there are no spanish only classes in any high schools, at least i haven't heard of any. Believe me, most every spanish speaker wants to learn English, to make their life easier here, but these children will grow up , hopefully, to have fulfilling jobs and contribute back to our country. Remember, it was their's first, and we took it away. In today's society though, it doesn't hurt you to speak 2 languages, Spanish is the most common spoken language in the whole world,<---bad info disregard) and considering our geographic location, wouldn't be a good idea to know what others might be saying around you.

The spanish speaking programs are set up at the elementary level so that the young ones can ease into a transition of speaking English, You'll notice there are no spanish only classes in any high schools, at least i have heard of any. Believe me, most every spanish speaker wants to learn English, to make their life easier here, but these children will grow up , hopefully, to have fulfilling jobs and contribute back to our country. Remember, it was their's first, and we took it away. In today's society though, it doesn't hurt you to speak 2 languages, Spanish is the most common spoken language in the whole world, and considering our geographic location, wouldn't be a good idea to know what others might be saying around you.

What was their's first? As far as Texas goes, there was a war. The Texans won. We didn't take it away.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

B)

What was their's first? As far as Texas goes, there was a war. The Texans won. We didn't take it away.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

B)

Come on, surely we're not implying that Spanish Conquistidors were the first to inhabit Mexico are we?

As A first language, you and I will have to compare notes. :D

Here are my notes:Languages ;)

Come on, surely we're not implying that Spanish Conquistidors were the first to inhabit Mexico are we?

Here are my notes:

Languages

I'm not, I just said they were here first, meaning before us, if you had to give it back to somebody, that would be Native Americans. :)

Here are my notes:Languages ;)

That was great, You passed the test Jeebus, good job. I was just uuuhhhh testing you. ( pssst!, I learned something new today, don't tell anybody I told you though, thanks.) ;)

Again, there are not millions of bums around Texas, but there are literally millions of illegals. How can you say they are not a burden on the state. Ask California about how some counties have gone bankrupt because of services they have to give illegals.

Sure you guys have a good view of things, but if the economy turns for the worst, and it will (cyclical) and there are no jobs, there is going to be some serious strife concerning illegals.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3389234

Plus another thing is that they come here illegally, they know they are coming here illegally, they already have the mentallity that they are above the law. How far does that go? Again the fake identity, fake auto insurance cards, getting un-road worthy cars out on the streets. The list goes on and on. And some can't see this as a drain on society?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not agains imigration, I'm not against hispanics, I'm just against illegals who come here without going through the proper channels.

Violating an immigration law doesn't carry the same weight of lawlessness to most people as robbery or burglary. Plus, the illegals are not stupid. They know that American employers want them here and will pay them to work here. They are wondering how seriously America takes this law if Americans will welcome them here and pay them to work here? I have to agree.

As to fake IDs versus the economic impact of thousands of low wage willing workers? I'll let you do the math on that "drain on society".

Oh, you guys are hilarious. First of all, tell me what law I am breaking by contracting services from a self-employed worker. As far as I know, they are self-employed. As far as I know, they are legal residents of the US. If they choose not to declare their earnings, it's not my fault OR my responsibility. Tell me, when was the last time you asked your friendly valet for proof they were going to declare the tip you gave them as earnings? When was the last time you asked the convenience-store owner to open their books for you to make sure they were paying their payroll taxes?

It's called contracting, not employment.

Texas didn't always belong to Mexico (and, btw, they only claimed us for 15 years) . Six flags over us.... remember?

Spain, France, Mexico, Texas (Republic of), US Confederacy, and our Stars and Stripes of today!

I mean, are we gonna get pissy over France now? Oh wait, they're not killing themselves to get here, are they? LOL..... ;)

Oh, you guys are hilarious. First of all, tell me what law I am breaking by contracting services from a self-employed worker. As far as I know, they are self-employed. As far as I know, they are legal residents of the US. If they choose not to declare their earnings, it's not my fault OR my responsibility. Tell me, when was the last time you asked your friendly valet for proof they were going to declare the tip you gave them as earnings? When was the last time you asked the convenience-store owner to open their books for you to make sure they were paying their payroll taxes?

It's called contracting, not employment.

This is what I've been screaming.

First of all, tell me what law I am breaking by contracting services from a self-employed worker.

Yea to the letter of the law, I guess you're safe, but you know full well what you are doing. Morally corrupt comes to mind.

Yea to the letter of the law, I guess you're safe, but you know full well what you are doing. Morally corrupt comes to mind.

Give me a break. I bet you break more traffic laws in a day than he will by just hiring some contractors for labor. Your moral compass has no direction.

Ouch ! That's a little harsh 911, I wouldn't say he is morally corrupt to hire some cheap labor, just don't try to fool yourself into believing it is something it ain't. You can put make-up on a baboon, but it is still a damn baboon. :D

Ouch ! That's a little harsh 911, I wouldn't say he is morally corrupt to hire some cheap labor, just don't try to fool yourself into believing it is something it ain't. You can put make-up on a baboon, but it is still a damn baboon. :D

...or lipstick on a pig...it still ain't purdy. ;)

...and "Morally corrupt"??? Cut me a break...let's start with the Cheney/Bush gang that couldn't shoot straight before we get into any moral corruptness when it comes to me hiring some guy to help me cut back some brush on my fence line.

B)

I sense a measure of frustration on the part of those posters who are opposed to illegal aliens at those of us who have no problem with them. I don't think moral corruption is the correct term to use to describe those who shrug their shoulders at the natural migration of impoverished humanity to areas that may provide relief to their poverty. However, it does show the level of angst this issue causes some people.

I would suggest that the issue of illegal immigration is not so simple as "breaking the law" when the political party currently in power cannot even agree amongst themselves what the problem or solution is, much less the rest of us.

As to how much to pay your sub-contractors, depending on how hard the work is, and how good the help is, it may be more in the range of $7 to $10. Some may work for less.

This has been one of the more entertaining threads in awhile, though. B)

This has been one of the more entertaining threads in awhile, though. B)

I agree, and for the record, I'm 100% against illegal immigration. I feel though, that this law is broken at the border, not at Westpark @ US59, or N. Shepherd @ W. 11th.

I do agree with you Red. Until our own elected officials can figure out which laws to enforce, why should we worry about it?

To all you that are so worried about illegal aliens, pick up the phone and call someone. Call the police, your city council member, the press, or your congressman. For Christ's sake, everyone knows where they hang-out. Its not like its some secret underground labor railroad.

Just when I think Jeebus and I are on opposite sides, I find myself having to jump back over the proverbial "line in the sand". I too, am against illegal immigration, but since they are here, might as well get some good work done from them. Red, you are just too deep for me bro'.But, you can't say "the party in power" It's just not balanced, you well know that illegal immigration didn't just happen in the past 5 years. I think you can hold the Dems just as guilty over this issue. This thread has gone every which way. So much fun. Conversations with people whose points of view are well thought out is so........REFRESHING ! I think we should all join hands and sing "Koumbaya" ! It was just a thought Jeebus, quit trying to grab my hand. <_<:P:lol:

Archived