Mexicans Taking Over Houston

citykid09

Both. If you want to come here, lets all work together for the greater good.

The Little Mexicos, Little Saigons, Little Havanas etc. make the ex-pats feel at home, but what other purpose do they serve?

How do they help America grow? What's the motivation to embrace being American when you don't even have to? Again, will that help America grow?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both.  If you want to come here, lets all work together for the greater good.

The Little Mexicos, Little Saigons, Little Havanas etc. make the ex-pats feel at home, but what other purpose do they serve? 

How do they help America grow?  What's the motivation to embrace being American when you don't even have to?  Again, will that help America grow?

Yes.

But, what is your take on the scenario described,

Where, if a person was to, instead, proclaim himself as American without the hyphenation, but then continue as before (like nothing ever happened) practicing all the cultural things that make up such a person with a Mexican heritage, like speaking Spanish, in addition to English, would that be ok? Or would there still be a fundamental problem in the situation?

Both.  If you want to come here, lets all work together for the greater good.

How do they help America grow?  What's the motivation to embrace being American when you don't even have to?  Again, will that help America grow?

when you get a bunch of immigrants moving into an 'alien' culture, having them migrate to areas where there are people similar to them is natural. my great-grandparents moved to the italian section of town and subsequent generations moved out of the area into 'mainstream' areas where there was no one predominant ethnicity. most first generationers will locate to the Little Mexicos, Little Saigons, Little Havanas and so on...

EDIT: my other granfather moved (from england) moved to an all english part of town when he first came here as well. my mother and aunt shunned the area and moved to mainstream areas as well.

when you get a bunch of immigrants moving into an 'alien' culture, having them migrate to areas where there are people similar to them is natural. my great-grandparents moved to the italian section of town and subsequent generations moved out of the area into 'mainstream' areas where there was no one predominant ethnicity. most first generationers will locate to the Little Mexicos, Little Saigons, Little Havanas and so on...

EDIT: my other granfather moved (from england) moved to an all english part of town when he first came here as well. my mother and aunt shunned the area and moved to mainstream areas as well.

So much to respond to here. Let's get rid of those silly British phone booths in Upper Kirby.

Yes.

But, what is your take on the scenario described,

Where, if a person was to, instead, proclaim himself as American without the hyphenation, but then continue as before (like nothing ever happened) practicing all the cultural things that make up such a person with a Mexican heritage, like speaking Spanish, in addition to English, would that be ok? Or would there still be a fundamental problem in the situation?

...standing by...

Subdue, are you sub-intelligent? 

Put up the crack pipe and read some of the Washington Post articles I liked to.  Same goes for 2112.

Then again, I guess the Post must be racist.

To pretend that imigration is not a serious issue for this country is just that:  pretending.

You lose all credibility with responses like this. Obviously if it's getting you this upset, then maybe you have a race problem. Immigration IS a serious issue. It was for the Native-Americans pilgrim. It amazes me how many whites feel that the doors were closed after their ancestors arrived. Especially given the fact that the doorway was moved (Southwest).

Deepsouth, give it a rest. Who's upset? Subdude repeat himself in three posts and it was getting old.

I guess the real question related to Mexican imigration is "why is Mexico such a mess?" What a terribly corrupt country!

Why not stay home and make your own country better? Is it really that bad down there? If the culture is so great that we need to emualte it here in Houston, why not just stay home to begin with?

Just because I'm Mexican-American don't assume that my country is Mexico or that I came from Mexico. My ancestors were in Texas when it was ruled by Spain. Which later became Mexico. Which allowed whites to settle. And you know the rest. We wouldn't be having this discussion if Sam Houston and company had left their English behind and learned Spanish. After all, they did immigrate to Mexico.

Deepsouth, give it a rest.  Who's upset?  Subdude repeat himself in three posts and it was getting old.

I guess the real question related to Mexican imigration is "why is Mexico such a mess?"  What a terribly corrupt country!

Why not stay home and make your own country better?  Is it really that bad down there?  If the culture is so great that we need to emualte it here in Houston, why not just stay home to begin with?

well, that could be said of the poor european immigrants at the turn of the century. i guess emma lazarus "the new colossus" peom is irrelavent these days...

Vicente Fox will be the first to tell you about that:

Fox to fight Mexico's police corruption

http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/...08/mexico000708

Mexico's New President Vowing To Fight Corruption

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v01/n198/a02.html

MEXICO'S FOX LISTS PRIORITIES FOR FIRST 100 DAYS IN OFFICE

http://www.jaguar-sun.com/chiapas/chiapas60.html

Deepsouth, give it a rest.  Who's upset?  Subdude repeat himself in three posts and it was getting old.

I guess the real question related to Mexican imigration is "why is Mexico such a mess?"  What a terribly corrupt country!

Why not stay home and make your own country better?  Is it really that bad down there?  If the culture is so great that we need to emualte it here in Houston, why not just stay home to begin with?

Umm corrupt? Take a wonderful visit to Lagos, and you'll think twice about what you just said... (Thats Nigeria).

Mexico isn't that bad. Its its own cultutre, just as Germany is, or China. They all eventually learn english, but the really young, and older don't. (Yet) because the Younger are too young to be learning 2 languages, and the older, well either its lazyness, or there just too old. But that can go with any country, not just mexico. Isn't it in 20 years that there will be more Chinese and Mexicans in America then Whites? well so what. That will just ad to the "American" culture, if there is such a thing. Besides, each person who lives here, be them legal, illegal, mexican, black, asian, whatever, they all make Houston, Houston, and America... America. This topic really leads no where, and if your a white surpremises, then move to Vidor. If not, get use to the flavor that makes up an International city such as our selves. People deal with ethnicality, and a differnt countryman everyday, everywhere. Be it on the German and French Border, the US and Mexico, or China and N. Korea. When people move here, they bring the good, and bad of there home. Depending if there "good" or "bad". Someone who grows up with gangs, and such, may be one here, or not. It really depends. Everyone has a differnt situation. And if I have to learn spanish just to talk to people at a food market, then so be it. As long as the economy is good, then go us. But learning a differnt language is always better anyways... That means you can connect to a couple million more people, then a one language person could. In Europe, its even harder, and Asia, must be the hardest. Because there language systems are more complex. So no one is taking over anything...

Check out Italy's new approach.  I think they have had enough with immigration.  They are kicking them out before they even get comfortable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3714922.stm

italy isn't an immigrant nation, america is. given who italy has as PM (berlisconi), this is really no suprise.

italy's population is aging so they do need immigrants as does most of europe.

italy's population is aging so they do need immigrants as does most of europe.

That brings up a good point. It's projected that Europe will be a Muslim majority by 2020. Brith rates and immigration are playing a large part in this. I'll try to find the link.

Imigration is powerful stuff.

That brings up a good point.  It's projected that Europe will be a Muslim majority by 2020.  Brith rates and immigration are playing a large part in this.  I'll try to find the link.

Imigration is powerful stuff.

christianity is waning there and people are becoming secular/athiest/agnostic and that part of the population will continue to, by far outnumber, non-christian population. islam may eventually become the biggest religion in europe but if 60% of the population is non religious, it's puts things back into perspective.

Archived