Sage Department Stores

EastEnd Susan

Does anyone remember a store called Sage? It was on the east side of the gulf freeway somewhere between edgebrook and shaver. It sat at a funny angle to the street and had a huge parking lot. I never went to that store and have no idea what they sold but I remember it being very big and always packed with cars.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember a store called Sage? It was on the east side of the gulf freeway somewhere between edgebrook and shaver. It sat at a funny angle to the street and had a huge parking lot. I never went to that store and have no idea what they sold but I remember it being very big and always packed with cars.

Yep..its some sort of school now. ..but I think it was a little more up 45. Between Airport and Monroe.

Here is a link to another thread where Sage was discussed along with Globe and some other "dead" stores.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2794

Yep..its some sort of school now. ..but I think it was a little more up 45. Between Airport and Monroe.

Here is a link to another thread where Sage was discussed along with Globe and some other "dead" stores.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2794

Thanks Gnu. I have to go downtown today and will check for the old sage.

• 5 months later...

I still have one of their old ad campaigns seared in my brain...

"Earl Campbell saved at Sage - He's a runnin' back!"

Or

"Joe Sambito saved at Sage - What a relief!" (Joe Sambito was a relief pitcher for the Astros in the 70's)

• 1 month later...

I grew up on the southeast side (Park Place and Reveille area) and my family shopped at Sage quite often in the 70s. I remember the pet shop within the store -- they sold fish and turtles and probably other things but that's what I remember. When they closed in the 80s I went to their final sale and bought one of the sets of lockers that were in the employee break room. I still have it in my garage -- it's moved with me several times!

• 2 months later...

I am pretty sure there was Sage on Westhiemer and Stoney Brooke (just due West of Hillcroft). Today it is a Guitar Center. Since I grew up in the 70's in Briarmeadow I remember going there to get perscriptions with my mom. The toy aisle was pretty shoddy, but I always managed to find something to talk my mom into buying for me. We used to also shop at the Weingartens right next store.

I am pretty sure there was Sage on Westhiemer and Stoney Brooke (just due West of Hillcroft). Today it is a Guitar Center. Since I grew up in the 70's in Briarmeadow I remember going there to get perscriptions with my mom. The toy aisle was pretty shoddy, but I always managed to find something to talk my mom into buying for me. We used to also shop at the Weingartens right next store.

That was actualy a "Sage Drugs" which was an off-shoot of the Sage stores. Sage was the orignal "big box" store/mass merchandiser. It was the precursor in Houston to K-Mart and Walmart. Sage Drugs were smaller stores and were more in-line like a Walgreens.

There was a "Globe" at Bellaire Blvd. and Hilcroft (it became a Fiesta store later). There was a Sage at 610 and Beechnut and a Builder's Square (now closed??) came to occupy that space later.

I remember the food court on the second level.

Which was trashier? Sage or Globe?

Back then, those stores might have been classified at discount department stores, like Wal-Mart and Target are today. But if they weren't national chains, that might be the reason why, as you say, they were "trashy." National chains usually have housekeeping and cleanliness standards and policies.

I was called on the phone years ago to take a survey. I was asked silly question such as how many glasses of beer had I drank in the last seven days. Then they asked me the last time I visited an upscale department store. I said Wal-Mart, but was told that Wal-Mart didn't qualify as upscale. Stores like Dillard's and Neiman Marcus did.

Which was trashier? Sage or Globe?

[/quote

I remember them both TOO well. The most overpowering memory is that of BURNT POPCORN cooked in rancid oil. Gag me! :wacko:

Sage was on the east side of the Gulf Freeway just south of Monroe. The building's still there and was remodeled as some sort of school a few years ago.

Every time I see (or smell) caramel popcorn I think of Sage. They had a popcorn stand just inside the exit doors, and we always stopped for a bag. It was usually still hot and gooey.

I remember shopping for school supplies there every year during the 1960s. I still have some bath towels we bought there in the early '70s. Needless to say, they're a bit worn now!

We never looked at the clothing there. We usually shopped for clothes at Sakowitz at Gulfgate or downtown Foley's.

That was actualy a "Sage Drugs" which was an off-shoot of the Sage stores. Sage was the orignal "big box" store/mass merchandiser. It was the precursor in Houston to K-Mart and Walmart. Sage Drugs were smaller stores and were more in-line like a Walgreens.

You are correct. That is what I remember.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a "Globe" at Bellaire Blvd. and Hilcroft (it became a Fiesta store later). There was a Sage at 610 and Beechnut and a Builder's Square (now closed??) came to occupy that space later.

That particular Builders' Square, which occupied the old Sage building, closed a few years ago and was torn down. Then a Lowe's was built there in its place (at Beechnut and Loop 610).

There was a Sage store at the corner of the Katy Freeway and West Belt (now Beltway 8). Later it became some kind of weird flea market - very seedy. It was closed for years and I think it has finally been torn down.

There was a Globe on Gessner across from Memorial City. It was torn down and Oshmans was built in the spot. I'm not sure what's there now - it may be part of Memorial City Hospital - sorry, Memorial Hermann.

• 1 year later...

Sage (Monroe & 45S) always fascinated me as a child. It had that large & small staircase leading to the restaurant, above entrance. Had a rocket shaped gumball machine.(Times we lived in, everything was space-age related). Also had a very wide wooden staircase leading to a large loft, roped off storage area in the toy section.

I remember shopping for school supplies there every year during the 1960s.

They had good school supplies.

Edited by NenaE

Don't forget Fedmart which was along the same lines as Sage and Globe.

Oh God, I worked at the Fedmart (1980) where Mervyn's was and before was Globe on Woodridge-Gulfgate Mall.

Still have my name tag. :lol: Was red lettering with white background. Something like the sign...or opposite of.

200px-Fedmart.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

Vaguely remeber White's?

I think it was an Appliance Store? :ph34r:

WHITE'S

White's were similar to Western Auto's. These stores were independent and operated as "agencies". This business practice was an early version of a franchise. "Gibson's" was another one of these.

White's were similar to Western Auto's. These stores were independent and operated as "agencies". This business practice was an early version of a franchise. "Gibson's" was another one of these.

They were pretty plain buildings says "Established in 1964" which coins it about right here in Houston. Apparently they are still around in some states! Whoa! :D

Gotta be certain on Google it sometimes give incorrect pics. I hope that is correct below. They did look sort of like this. One was definelty way over on Lyons's Avenue in Denver Harbor in the 60's.

NEW_STORE_FRONT2-013S_561x393.JPG

• 7 months later...

WOW! Blast from the past!

I remember sitting in the little kids booth that you put quarters into to watch reel to reel cartoons while my mom and sisters shopped at Sage. That AND the fresh made carmel corn.

Good times, good times!

OH, and always stopping at Wink's BBQ for lunch afterwards! It also is long gone. They had THE best ham sandwiches ever!

I remember Globe, too, but it doesn't hold nearly the same fond memories.

And the store on the East Freeway that is now a Fiesta.....between Federal and John Ralston Road. Can't believe that I don't remember the name. Gemco? Something co!

WOW! Blast from the past!

I remember sitting in the little kids booth that you put quarters into to watch reel to reel cartoons while my mom and sisters shopped at Sage. That AND the fresh made carmel corn.

Good times, good times!

OH, and always stopping at Wink's BBQ for lunch afterwards! It also is long gone. They had THE best ham sandwiches ever!

I remember Globe, too, but it doesn't hold nearly the same fond memories.

And the store on the East Freeway that is now a Fiesta.....between Federal and John Ralston Road. Can't believe that I don't remember the name. Gemco? Something co!

It is Gemco. There was also one at North Freeway @ Airline across from Northline Mall, which is also now a Fiesta (or was the last time I was over there).

i remember the grocery store at the sage on beechnut and 610 where you would put your groceries in a bin on a conveyor belt and then you would drive around and pick up your groceries instead of having to cart them all the way through the store. used to always get our school supplies at sage.

another one of their billboards

clark kent saved at sage - super man!

Yes, I remember the GEMCO near Northline Mall on Airline. It was really a forerunner to what would become the 'superstore' model...we'd grocery shop there, there was an auto department and everything in between. My mother did a lot of sewing, and there was a huge fabric department there. And the toy section...'sigh'. You know, I got chills when I think of the massive amount of Mego superheroes and Shogun Warriors that were at that Gemco. Later, Star Wars...tons of Star Wars toys. I got my Kiss dolls from there.And another overpowering memory...popcorn and cherry ICEE's. There was a Sambo's in the parking lot...which later became a Sizzler. And to seal the deal on pop-culture merchandise perfection, there was a Toys R Us across the freeway. Northline Mall, A General Cinema, a Shakey's Pizza...all to the south. The Super GoKart track and arcade was directly behind the GEMCO.

And then, there was Astroworld....

and the Houston Oilers.

Sage was on the east side of the Gulf Freeway just south of Monroe. The building's still there and was remodeled as some sort of school a few years ago.

I was young, but I remember the names Sage and Globe.

If Sage was at Monroe, then Globe must have been the one at Airport and the Gulf Fwy. I recall eating at the Sambo's in the parking lot on a few occasions (now a Denny's I think). My only memories of Globe are being entranced by a bunch of pachinko machines on the shelves.

I think that Globe became a Sam's for a while before turning into the Flea Market that it's been for the last decade or so.

I was young, but I remember the names Sage and Globe.

If Sage was at Monroe, then Globe must have been the one at Airport and the Gulf Fwy. I recall eating at the Sambo's in the parking lot on a few occasions (now a Denny's I think). My only memories of Globe are being entranced by a bunch of pachinko machines on the shelves.

I think that Globe became a Sam's for a while before turning into the Flea Market that it's been for the last decade or so.

Actually the store at Airport was never a Globe. I think it was a Wilsons, or something like that. The only Globe I knew of along the Gulf Freeway was on Woodridge right across from Gulgate Mall. The Fed Mart I went to as a kid was at Mykawa and Griggs and the building it was in is where the Fiesta is. Fed Mart moved into the Globe at Gulfgate when Globe closed. After that Fed Mart closed and the building was torn down and a Mervyns was built there. The Airport store did become the original Sam's for the Southeat side on town and was in business there until they built the Sam's at Fuqua and 45 then it closed and moved to the new location.

I remember the Sage on the Gulf Freeway really well. I worked for almost four years during college at the Plank Company which was right across the street. It's now United Rentals. I bought my gas at the Sage, cashed my paychecks at Sage, and bought my beer at the Sage Liquor store. During the gas shortages of that period the guy who ran the Sage Gas Station would be closed all the time but since we bought all our gas for the company vehicles from him, he would let us sneek our cars over and fill up or if he was trying to be real sly we would walk over with gas cans and fill our cars five gallons at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, you remember Wink's?! smileybigeyes3.gif

I don't know if there were more than one, but we used to go to Wink's on Richey

in Pasadena for the best barbecue sandwiches ever! This building was pink, and

I recall walking past a pool table with my dad and brothers to pick up the sandwiches.

The place seemed fairly dark inside.

Sage was around at least til the mid70's cos I remember shopping there with Mom and

Dad in '74 at the one in South Houston. (There was also a nicely shaded putt-putt

golf place behind it, IIRC.) And I remember getting some cute summer tops at Fedmart

in 1979.

I bought lots of 45's at Globe in Pasadena in the early-mid 70's; some still have the sticker

on them (67 cents.) On the fourth of July 1968, we bought a swimming pool there.

And I remember the parking lot carnivals there every year.

Don't mind me, I'm just rambling! :D