brijonmang

The Preston (Block 42) Residential High-Rise: 46-stories

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Sucks for the people who had windows

Maybe not. Did this quick sketch:

zzAK1Cf.jpg

Notice the jog the podium takes at one point. Notice how the building is oriented away from the windows. I understand the primary objective of the twist in the tower was for better views for the occupants of the building itself, but I'm sure before approval they might have had to do some adjustments to allow light into those other windows. My guess is that there is a shaft that gives a bit of separation at that moment where windows in Hogg Lofts occur. Not 100% sure. I mean this is from an interpretation of the rendering, but it wouldn't be out of the question.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

D3V0WToW0AARr18.jpg

Houston-based Hines announced April 4 it broke ground on the towering 46-story apartment high-rise known as The Preston downtown.

The luxury apartments will be where the old Houston Chronicle parking garage was, at the corner of Preston and Milam, and about a block from the newspaper’s old headquarters, where Hines and Ivanhoe Cambridge are developing the 47-story Texas Tower.

The site is located within an Opportunity Zone. The greater Houston area counts 148 zones, with 105 in Harris County alone.

Hines is developing The Preston with the Cresset-Diversified QOZ Fund, a fund started by Cresset Partners and Diversified Real Estate Capital in 2018 to invest in qualified Opportunity Zones around the country.

The Opportunity Zone Act, part of the 2017 tax changes, lets property investors create "Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds" that can be used to reinvest proceeds from the sale of long-held properties back into Opportunity Zones.Landlords are eligible for tax breaks if they reinvest at least 90 percent of the gains from those sales back into the federally approved Opportunity Zones, according to a report by the American City Business Journals, the Houston Business Journal’s parent company. New rules related to Opportunity Zone investments haven't yet been released.

Unlike prior community-investment programs, the new law doesn't require property investors to meet specific job-creation or affordability mandates.

The Preston will be Hines’ most impressive residential community to date, Kevin Batchelor, senior managing director, said in a statement. The 373-unit project will also be the tallest apartment building downtown, the statement read.

Retail and restaurant space will take up about 6,800 square feet of The Preston's ground floor. The project should be complete by the third quarter of 2022.

The Preston's amenities include:

• Event space, catering kitchen and an outdoor patio
  • 24-hour concierge
  • Valet service
  • Electric vehicle chargers
  • Fitness center with on-demand virtual trainer
  • 10th-level amenity deck with a zero-edge pool, shaded cabanas and daybeds, yoga lawn, covered terraces and an outdoor kitchen pavilion with gas grills
  • Multiple social lounges with complimentary beverage and coffee bars
  • Guest suites
  • Wine tasting room
  • Pet spa
  • Bike shop and storage facility
  • Resident coworking and conference spaces

The project team includes Munoz + Albin, design architect; Mayfield and Ragni Studio (MaRS), interior architect; TBG, landscape architect; and Harvey Builders, general contractor. All are either based in or have an office in Houston.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, tv88 said:

small gap

57610573479__ADC04B94-E50C-4203-9B2A-687FB1801CF3.JPG

I tell my children to not call our floors " the ground" .  This is taking the term ground to another level. Happy to see this underway.

• Like 3

I saw small chunks of concrete on the sidewalk of the Market Square apartments, not doing a good job of keeping projectiles from raining down. Might want to wear a hardhat when walking by this demo.

• Like 7

This demo will get interesting when they start removal of the post tension beams. I used to park in this garage and there is a long span between column lines. 

• Like 2

By that logic, would building a super tall on one block count as a "small construction site"?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cspwal said:

By that logic, would building a super tall on one block count as a "small construction site"?

Yeah as long as it's less than 5 acres. It has to do with stormwater protections based on soil disturbance (surface area, not depth) and not the scale of the project. So a supertall that costs 100's of millions could be "small" and a warehouse could be "large".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

Yeah as long as it's less than 5 acres. It has to do with stormwater protections based on soil disturbance (surface area, not depth) and not the scale of the project. So a supertall that costs 100's of millions could be "small" and a warehouse could be "large".

Thanks for the explanation. I always wondered why some of these high rise projects were considered small construction site.

Thats what I like about Haif. I learn new things all of the time.

Like getting my eyes checked.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Those tenants that went into the Market Square tower for the view from the 40th floor including the infinity pool are going to be disappointed when their view is obstructed by this new apartment tower. Instead of looking out from the infinity pool to the skyline will be looking at a someones apartment window.

Edited by cougarpad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

From 4/20:

bungzA6.jpg

17 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wow, you're quite high!

I'm sure it was lit (fire emoji)

• Like 1

Permit for foundation work filed on 05/03 

www.cohtora.houstontx.gov/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBIF_webapp=/ibi_apps&IBIC_server=EDASERVE&IBIWF_msgviewer=OFF&IBIAPP_app=soldpermits&IBIF_ex=sold_permit_d&CLICKED_ON=&PN=18081433&PT=13

Project No: 18081433
Date : 2019/05/03 00:00:00
USE : FOUNDATION ONLY FOR FUTURE HI-RISE APART
Owner/Occupant : *BLOCK 42 OWNER LLC
Job Address : 414 MILAM ST 77002
Valuation : $ 4,900,000
Permit Type : 13
FCC Group : Structures Other than Buildings
Buyer : *BLOCK 42 OWNER LLC
Address : 609 MAIN ST 4400 77002
Phone : (713) 237-5607
  • Like 3

I wonder if they're just going to demo the one section by hand and then implode the rest of the garage?

• Like 2

My guess is they are just making some room and than bring in heavy equipment to demo the rest.  Too small and low to implode. Job looks like it's going well. It's tough trying to demo a structure so close to another.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

fl09yTe.jpg

tYJW378.jpg

Too bad can't use a wrecking ball. Those things were fun to watch when knocking down something atrocious like this garage. Oh well.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Too bad can't use a wrecking ball. Those things were fun to watch when knocking down something atrocious like this garage. Oh well.

I read this and thought of this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Preston St. Construction
Saturday, May 18 & Sunday, May 19 (6 am – 6 pm) 
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of Preston St. (between Louisiana and Milam) in order to mobilize heavy equipment onto site and to begin the heavy demolition process of the old parking garage located next to the Hogg Palace.
Detour: Motorists traveling east on Preston will be detoured left onto Louisiana, right on Franklin, right on Milam, then left back onto Preston.
Contact: D.E. Harvey Builders, Mr. Wilson Santos 713-550-1604

• Like 5

Talked with a Harvey safety guy about this project. He said they are making their way into it from the north and 2 shears will then demo it from inside so they can continue for approximately 10 days and not have to shut down the streets. They had to cut down 2 trees on the north side but will be replaced. 6 am - 6 pm daily and they have already had complaints from the Market Square tower people about it.

3wgyk1L.jpg

a2r4LIV.jpg

u96bBTs.jpg

• Like 7

The residential building across the street stonework looks good, I guess sometimes the stone can look better like bamboo flooring that ages some in your house

Makes sense that a nice dark patina would form there. Better than some beige stucco that fades out.

One thing I wonder about is the future of all these modern buildings with metal panels and bits that stick out. That stuff will rust in the corners over time and look bad.

Talked with another Harvey worker who said they would be breaking ground in July for the actual build. They will use a luffing tower crane initially during the podium build because the tower crane on the Texas build can swing over this project and when cranes are not in use the brakes on the jib are left open so they can weather vane in the wind. As the project rises they will have a regular tower crane. 

NYWDXvl.jpg

lpFl3KN.jpg

• Like 8

Did the demo company offer to put up all of the residents of the Hogg Palace this weekend in the Marquis?

• Haha 3